GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-15-14, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

TPMS zip tie trick

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 04:20 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS zip tie trick

I have heard of people using zip ties around the TPMS sensors to keep them from going off while they are out of the wheel. I wanted to do this until I can get them installed in my wheels
Old 09-22-10, 04:43 PM
TWong350

To keep them from going off while they are out of the wheel? What do you mean? From detaching from the wheel? They are pretty much fastened to the wheel already so not sure what a zip tie will do. Or maybe I'm just not understanding the question?
Old 09-22-10, 05:06 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

No I had them in my last wheels and had them removed so I can have them put in my new wheels, however the new ones are coming to me already mounted I heard that there is a way to zip tie the sensors by themselves to keep them registering pressure. I was just hoping someone had some insight
Old 09-22-10, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

first of all it's not zip tie, it would be some metal band to tie the tpms to the wheels. second, if you do that, it will still have to be on the INSIDE of the barrel..... there is no way you can mount this anywhere outside of the wheel and get it to work... i mean, there is no way for it to sense the pressure inside of the wheel
Old 09-22-10, 06:01 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
first of all it's not zip tie, it would be some metal band to tie the tpms to the wheels. second, if you do that, it will still have to be on the INSIDE of the barrel..... there is no way you can mount this anywhere outside of the wheel and get it to work... i mean, there is no way for it to sense the pressure inside of the wheel
Im not asking how to attach the sensor to the wheel. I thought I had read somewhere in the forum that someone had "zip tied" their sensors and threw them in the trunk so they wouldnt go off. I could be wrong no big deal I ll just have my wheels broke down and sensors put in.
The following users liked this post:
lilwatty19 (11-19-23)
Old 09-22-10, 10:34 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drive with the light on and check your tires. It's better not to mess with them and try to band-aid the problem. Plus sometimes those lil shiiis are sensitive and you can end up breaking them.

Your new wheels will be here soon enough... wait for it.
Old 09-23-10, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Im not asking how to attach the sensor to the wheel. I thought I had read somewhere in the forum that someone had "zip tied" their sensors and threw them in the trunk so they wouldnt go off. I could be wrong no big deal I ll just have my wheels broke down and sensors put in.
i guess you are still not getting it. zip tie is just a way to tie/stick/hold the sensor against a surface/location, but the surrounding air has to be at the high psi (like 33 or higher) in order for the sensors to not throw a code. so either it has to be INSIDE the wheel, or you have to get a pressurized can, put the sensors in, and pressurize the whole thing to 33psi or more. then yes you can throw that in the trunk
Old 09-23-10, 05:36 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no idea what mechanism the sensors use to actually detect air pressure but I doubt there is anything you can do with a ziptie to fool it into detecting pressure.

If I had to imagine the inner workings of the things, I picture a chamber full of air or liquid with a membrane that flexes and changes the capacitance of the chamber which has a current. Since this would all probably be a very small device on the interior of the sensor, you could probably do absolutely nothing to the exterior to control it apart from submitting the whole sensor to pressure.
Old 09-23-10, 05:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

methinks he's thinking of the pipe-bomb trick.
Old 09-23-10, 05:51 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

The only thing I've heard is where someone would leave the sensors in their old wheels/tires and leave that set of wheels in the garage. That way each day when you come home from work the light will reset itself as it senses the tires sitting in your gargage. If I'm not mistaken it takes a little bit of time for the light to come on, so in essence you could drive all day without the light ever bothering you and then it'll reset the "timer", so to speak, when you get home.
Old 09-23-10, 06:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

you can do the pipe bomb type thing where you put all 4 into a pressurized canister.

just a heads up, without tpms' the warning light will not come on unless you drive over 50 miles. once it comes on, it will take several cycles of trips under 50 miles for the warning light to clear. i do not have tpms' in my wheels and i have no lights since i never drive my car over 50 miles one way on any type. if i do (like when i go to the beach) i will just pull off the road just before 50 miles, turn the car off then back on and im good for 50 more miles. its a pita but id rather do that then have a warning light on.
Old 09-23-10, 07:54 AM
TWong350

Yeah...OP is thinking the pipe-bomb trick. Ugh...why not just do it right and get them either installed or get what's in there now programmed to your car? Or, just live with the light? BFD
Old 09-23-10, 11:26 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of people using zip ties around the TPMS sensors to keep them from going off while they are out of the wheel. I wanted to do this until I can get them installed in my wheels
what i've seen is zip tie and two washers pressed against each other.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-solution.html

i've done the pipe bomb trick with white pvc.
Old 09-23-10, 11:31 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onihc
what i've seen is zip tie and two washers pressed against each other.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-solution.html

i've done the pipe bomb trick with white pvc.
Thanks alot bro, I knew I had seen this somewhere! People always want to make me out to be an idiot.
Old 09-23-10, 11:39 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks alot bro, I knew I had seen this somewhere! People always want to make me out to be an idiot.
no prob.

have fun. if you decide to PVC, i recommend blue quick try PVC cement.

Quick Reply: TPMS zip tie trick