GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheel Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 01:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dumped my Asanti's because they were built out of round. The techs at this very very high end wheel shop in town actually told me to avoid 3 pc wheels because they leak and they sometimes have to be dismantled and rebuilt. Total pain in the ***. All I know is when a tech ( not the sales person. we know they would just want to sell you the more expensive wheels) at a wheel shop tells you not to buy 3 pc wheels he knows whats up.

This is why I like Vossen wheels so much. Vossen wheels have the added appeal and looks of the 3 pc wheel but a cast wheel price. VOSSEN ROCKS. This is why their wheels are selling like hot cakes
Old 09-24-10, 02:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dumped my Asanti's because they were built out of round. The techs at this very very high end wheel shop in town actually told me to avoid 3 pc wheels because they leak and they sometimes have to be dismantled and rebuilt. Total pain in the ***. All I know is when a tech ( not the sales person. we know they would just want to sell you the more expensive wheels) at a wheel shop tells you not to buy 3 pc wheels he knows whats up.

This is why I like Vossen wheels so much. Vossen wheels have the added appeal and looks of the 3 pc wheel but a cast wheel price. VOSSEN ROCKS. This is why their wheels are selling like hot cakes
I have always said the best possible choice for wheels, taking everything in consideration, would be a 1 piece forged wheel.
Next would be a 1 piece cast wheel.
Next would be a 2 piece wheel with cast center and welded to the barrel.
Next would be 2 piece bolted together.
Last would be a 3 piece wheel.

If looks were the main criteria, nothing like a 3 piece wheel....but they are a pain to maintain. I've never seen one 3 piece wheel that didn't eventually have some issue. Whether it's peeling finish, water under the surface, bent or broken, rust and leaking....it's usually something.
I think my next set will be 1 piece forged...if I can find one with a lip.
Old 09-24-10, 02:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I got my wheel back. Seems to be fixed properly and at the time promised. I can't beat that. Even the price, I can't complain about $50.

It was miserable driving on the spare for 2 days. I now realize I speed a lot. It was soooo hard keeping the car at 50 mph or below. Either my foot or the car is programed to drive at 50-60 mph.
What a relief!
Old 09-24-10, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to be clear, vossen has 3 piece wheels too
Old 09-24-10, 03:15 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asanti is the rota of baller wheels, except they cost an arm and a leg brand new and have no resale value afterwards.

with proper care and maintenance, 3pc wheels can last just as long. they also have more room for customization versus 2pc or 1pc.
Old 09-24-10, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Funny I've had more problems with fake wanna be 3 piece looking wheels than real 2 piece wheels. (never had a 3 piece).

Good luck Regg, modding can be a PITA!
Old 09-24-10, 06:29 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be clear, vossen has 3 piece wheels too
but their bread and butter is one piece wheels,,btw 50 is cheap as hell,,
Old 09-24-10, 08:30 PM
dr.300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Sometimes I hate multipiece wheels. One of my wheels was leaking air and is being repaired. So many people on enthusiast site talk about the superiority of multipiece wheels when for the most part, they are a pain in the neck.
I haven't had a set yet that didn't have some kind of issues. 1 piece cast are 100 times more durable but just for that look, we suffer with these wheels because of the pissing contest we post adolescent males play with each other.
One thing, I'm a little suspicious of the wheel shop. I think it's awfully coincidental that this happened after they installed 2 tires for me. How does a leak magically pop up after the installation? I know for a fact some of the people there don't like me. They've said it.
I only went there because they supposedly have a better alignment machine than the dealer. I can't prove it so I can't pursue this....but it is definitely a huge coincidence.
No sir no foul play. I fix the same problem on 3 piece wheels anywere from 3-5 times a week. it's silicone that's used to seal the wheel sometimes cheap silicone is used to save a few bucks. When i fix your's it was the same problems *** most of them the silicone dries up and starts to crack little by little.
Old 09-25-10, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
but their bread and butter is one piece wheels,,btw 50 is cheap as hell,,
of course, price talks. just like lexus sells a lot more gs350 than gs460
Old 09-26-10, 02:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr.300
No sir no foul play. I fix the same problem on 3 piece wheels anywere from 3-5 times a week. it's silicone that's used to seal the wheel sometimes cheap silicone is used to save a few bucks. When i fix your's it was the same problems *** most of them the silicone dries up and starts to crack little by little.
I appreciate the endorsement of your co-workers but I didn't really believe anyone sabotaged my wheel. If I really thought that I would have gone crazy all over the place (ask the veterans, I've done it before). Plus i would have said the name of the place and posted all kind of nasty crap on the internet on every site I go to.
Sometimes I act like a drama king. I've never had a multipiece wheel leak so thanks for the education. If I buy another set I will specifically check the quality of the work before purchasing. Sounds like everything could have been done well and this still could have happened. Don't like the sound of that but it is what it is.

It's not impossible about the foul play, it could have happened. Someone at the wheel shop did slash my tires, that's a fact (a few years ago). But I won't go there. I have let that go. Most of the people there are cool and that's why I keep going back. I count you as one of the cool guys.
ANyway, thanks for taking care of me. I was out of town this weekend and just got back. I'll come over to thank you personally on Tuesday.

Last edited by Ice350; 09-26-10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 07:04 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Sometimes I act like a drama king.
i dont think u r,,,we pay good money for our wheels and expect certain quality,,but with wheels, its kind of hit or miss,,,