GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10 | 11:15 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

That must have been frustrating. Talk about pressure.

If you ask me, it's those flippin' hard shell suitcases. They're like the Hummers of the luggage world. Soft or even semi-soft sided luggage probably would have fit in easily.

If the wife is still giving you grief, you could suggest trading in the M3 for a nice Sienna.
Old 09-24-10 | 11:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Swagger wagon!!!
Old 09-24-10 | 11:35 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

lexus gave on our GS long time ago,,,tape deck anyone??
Old 09-24-10 | 11:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Swagger wagon!!!

One of the reasons my wife wanted a SUV over another car. For the utility. Of course my man hormones were raging this is an example of what is wrong with society but of course she has proven me wrong in just a few months we have the RXh. Damn SUVs are just handy to have.

My next vehicle could be a SUV
Old 09-24-10 | 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by batman75
Unbelievable. BMW design is much more practical. But on the bright side, at least you don't have a GS450H trunk!
lol, actually i think if i had a gs450h, it would be "better", because i wouldn't even consider using the gs and just bring the m3. by now i would be cursing on the m3 if anything

Originally Posted by lucasb7
That would be so frustrating! As a 450h owner, I personally have never run into this problem because I have it pretty embedded in my brain that nothing fits in the trunk so I always take one of the SUVs if i'm picking something up. I've been surprised by the amount of shopping/soft sided bags I can fit though. Plus nothing rolls around!

I think it's about time you got your M5...Babies like vibrations and acceleration don't they?!?
lol, if my wife with the baby inside is any indication of what the baby would like, then yes, a m5 will make my baby sleep all day long. baby is always calm in the m3 vs the gs somehow, and my wife likes the ride inside the m3 more than gs (surprise...)

Originally Posted by Evoked
I have to completely agree with you on that. Our trunks are useless to carry anything but maybe some car cleaning supplies, which is what I use it for.

I drove more than 1hr to Ikea to pick up my chair with my gf and parents, and what do you know it doesnt fit. I was pissed as hell. In the end I drove back with my 98 accord and the box fit no problem in the trunk. Wasted 4hrs of my life
oh man i totally feel you there... it's just so weird how they came up with the trunk design...

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't even know why Lexus calls it a trunk. It's an insult.

A glovebox might be more appropriate
HAHAHA, henry, i choked reading your message. i am sure the manual will fit well in this glove box

Originally Posted by Bavaria
You didn't look at the trunk space before you bought the car?
i did, and i asked the sales wtf was that (keep in mind, i drove my gs400 when shopping for this). but talk about reliability, lexus is still better than bmw and mb, that's why the choice. otherwise, room is always my biggest complaint, and don't think there is any excuse to that

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its an oddly shaped trunk. One thing I noticed about the E class and 5 series is they design the trunks to be pretty straightforward so you can easily process how deep, wide and long the trunk is, even if they sacrifice room at the sides.

Contrarily many Japanese luxury cars seem to try to make the most of the trunk AFTER the car has been designed. Remember the 1GS and 1SC has the fuel tank behind the seat so trunk room was awful. They rather use space on the sides but have a less deep trunk. Thats great for small bags but for suitcases it is of no help.

I agree the 3GS trunk is a step back from the 2GS and a total afterthought. My wifes old Altima had a great big trunk and the car looks like the GS, even dimensions are similar.

Not sure wtf is taking up space in the GS trunk
you are very right, coz' on paper the trunk capacity is "ok". but the shape and contour make it pretty pointless. it's just like the sc430, on paper the number is actually not bad, but it's not like you can fit a lot of useful stuff in there (like suitcases).

Originally Posted by 808LexGS
I agree the trunk is small and oddly shaped but I was once able to fit a suitcase and 3 golf bags in it.

A couple of friends and I were golfing one day and my gf's flight came in earlier than planned so we had to go straight from the golf course to the airport. I was worried that everything wouldn't fit on the way to LAX but it did and the suitcase was a full size travel suitcase.
see, that's exactly the problem. if you have something long and narrow, the gs will take it very well. that's all in the design. but if you have something squarish, man, good luck!

or maybe lexus designed this car mainly for golf course use @_@
Old 09-24-10 | 12:25 PM
DickM0823
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Trunk for little people

I agree...Try to fit 2 sets of golf clubs...good luck. I dont see why the ES350 has more space than the GS. Poor Planning. Do they really know who their customer is.
Old 09-24-10 | 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by batman75
I think its the wheel arches and the tailights. The other car has more of an overhang so its wider trunk, and the tailights make it difficult to put stuff in.
yup, it's about the design. the wheel well area is a big killer. look at the 5 and e and you will wonder what lexus did wrong making it so silly. and the opening is quite small too compared to bmw and mb. really funny

Originally Posted by worker
At least U could drive home.

I bought a 42" TV and was trying to stuff it into a Camry. If the seat were able to fold down it would be great. But nooooo. I tried for over an hr fitting it into the trunk....

So I said fine, I'll put it in the back seat and risk the box pieced into my leather seat. It was short by about 2inch. through the door. OMG.

I consider unpack the TV but the sky look like it gonna rain. Electronic don't do well in rain.

Had to call my brother to bring his van.

I have not had any problem putting stuff in my GS's trunk yet. *knock on wood*
actually for the record, i don't think you should lie flat on lcd?

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Sounds like someone didn't do a good enough research before purchasing his vehicle

I actually had a minimum size requirement on the trunk when I was car shopping, but in the end, I decided to just use the wife's E to haul "big" stuff. So, after 2 years, I am not disappointed in the trunk size because I have already accepted it from the beginning.
lol guess i will need to bring 2 suitcases when i shop next time? like i said, we knew from the beginning the 3gs trunk is less than impressive. never expect it to be anything like my gs400. but then looking at the shape i thought at least 2 would fit. definitely expected too much

Originally Posted by JBasco20
I have put 2 18" wheels a folding chair along with cleaning supplies in my GS430 and still had a little room to spair.... if you want to talk about no trunk space when the 3rd row seat is up in my Aviator you barely have room for a folding chair.....
lol want to talk about space? in my gs400 i could fit THREE wheels in the trunk with room to spare.

what you talk about on aviator is the case for a lot of suv with 3rd row anyway. once 3rd row is up, luggage space is nil

Originally Posted by CAK 500
That must have been frustrating. Talk about pressure.

If you ask me, it's those flippin' hard shell suitcases. They're like the Hummers of the luggage world. Soft or even semi-soft sided luggage probably would have fit in easily.

If the wife is still giving you grief, you could suggest trading in the M3 for a nice Sienna.
yes, i absolutely agree. i should have mentioned in my first post too. when my parents came visit last year, they brought 3 suitcases, but they were all soft shell. and yes, i was able to fit all of them in the trunk, with some squeezing and such. so this tells you just exactly how about the trunk design is on all the angles. guess i was happy a little too soon last year...

lol, sienna? not a chance. talking her into minivan and she probably prefers to just walk. we will get suv for sure, but not a chance in minivan unless it's the alphard

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

One of the reasons my wife wanted a SUV over another car. For the utility. Of course my man hormones were raging this is an example of what is wrong with society but of course she has proven me wrong in just a few months we have the RXh. Damn SUVs are just handy to have.

My next vehicle could be a SUV
no doubt the utility of suv makes it worthwhile, completely agree. with baby around the corner, suv will be our next car for sure. we just need an suv to haul crap.

but on the other hand i don't think it's an excuse for the gs though, a car of this size, 2 suitcases shouldn't be a problem (not like i am asking it to haul an army. in that sense my gs400 was beyond surprising). i mean if it's not the gs, but we have a 2is, then i have nothing to say. but this, sigh...
Old 09-24-10 | 12:32 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

should of told the relative that there is a suitcase max size like carry on luggage on a air plane......
Old 09-24-10 | 12:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

This has been the major issue with this car from day 1. I am surprised it took this long for you to realize. I guess you dont pick up a lot of people from the airport. The trunk in my GS is the main reason I want to dump it and get something else. The issue is I dont like the way any SUV looks or drives. I do like the Toyota Venza because of its size, utility, and styling. The issue is with fit and finish. Its really hard these days to not have an SUV and have kids or even family coming into town to see the kids. I want to have more kids in the future and will absolutely need to ditch the GS sooner than later. The issue is the wife needs a new vehicle more than I do. I think I am going to have to get over the "tuner"phase and get into the daddy phase. Sad but its just a fact of life. At least with the Venza I can drop it with some H&R springs and drop a set of 22's on it. ( thats "daddy tuner".lol)
Old 09-24-10 | 12:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

imagine with a baby, stroller, ect....this trunk is the worst. Good thing I hardly drive mine for this reason.

I best keep my eyes on the classified section for a part out
Old 09-24-10 | 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by alwayzspeedin
should of told the relative that there is a suitcase max size like carry on luggage on a air plane......
HAHHAHA, limit them to the size of a BRIEF case?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This has been the major issue with this car from day 1. I am surprised it took this long for you to realize. I guess you dont pick up a lot of people from the airport. The trunk in my GS is the main reason I want to dump it and get something else. The issue is I dont like the way any SUV looks or drives. I do like the Toyota Venza because of its size, utility, and styling. The issue is with fit and finish. Its really hard these days to not have an SUV and have kids or even family coming into town to see the kids. I want to have more kids in the future and will absolutely need to ditch the GS sooner than later. The issue is the wife needs a new vehicle more than I do. I think I am going to have to get over the "tuner"phase and get into the daddy phase. Sad but its just a fact of life. At least with the Venza I can drop it with some H&R springs and drop a set of 22's on it. ( thats "daddy tuner".lol)
picking up people at airport once a year is max i need to do. otherwise it's mainly picking up 1 people and that's always no problem. but still though, rear #22, last year with my parents and 3 soft shell, it was all good. i guess i was just too confident (shouldn't have)

a lot of suv are mod happy, especially if you go euro. but then again to me, if i get suv, it's for hauling stuff and kids, not much into modding (well, for now)

Originally Posted by passnu2
imagine with a baby, stroller, ect....this trunk is the worst. Good thing I hardly drive mine for this reason.

I best keep my eyes on the classified section for a part out
gosh, mike, you aren't giving me much confidence at all dude... we were thinking about buying out the gs and stick with it for a year with the baby (and all the stuff you mentioned) until m3 lease ends next year and we get the suv... now you making me think again about just returning this car to lexus and get something else...!!!

after coming back home, my wife definitely wasn't happy and literally told me she has another reason to hate and get rid of the gs. we have been on and off looking at e55/63 and m5, and she was asking why the gs trunk is so retarded. and she said it's not like the cabin space is anything spectacular neither. lol, i was speechless
Old 09-24-10 | 12:54 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

kids and family = van

Anyway, always good to have a van in the family for those special needs.
Old 09-24-10 | 01:26 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

LCD should be fine lying flat.

And yes the 3GS trunk is just dumb. I can't even put in a set of golf clubs without having to maneuver it around.

And there is no way I can put three sets in the trunk.
Old 09-24-10 | 01:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

haha. i had to check if I was the one who posted this thread....
after all, I'm the one who biches and moans the most, right?......

Originally Posted by rominl
The trunk is not high enough to stack two. The trunk is not deep enough to fit two. The trunk is not wide enough to put two. And impossible to angle 2nd one in any way. WTF!!!!!!!! Seriously, this is a completely retarded design. .
I'm sure you knew all that when you bought the car.
the exterior body belies the interior/trunk space.
the trunk looks like an afterthought.
same with the infiniti m37.
seems like this is a japanese thing.....

on a similar note, i hate how all lexus sedans don't have fold down back seats. who the hell started this trend, and why?

the 5 series has always had fold down seats.......... and a cavernous trunk.
Old 09-24-10 | 02:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

glad I could be of help

Its not bad...but its not the greatest either. If your getting another car and keeping the GS then its worth keeping IMO. This is pretty much what the GS is for in our household. We "tried" that whole SUV thing and well that lasted all of a year. We both dont care for them and much rather have cars. There are other cars that will offer the space that you need for the family and the GS will be a good back up. I was also going to get rid of the GS and this was one of the reasons for us. For now we are going to hold onto it.

I must say the benz is a sharp car

Quick Reply: Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)