GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
haha. i had to check if I was the one who posted this thread....
after all, I'm the one who biches and moans the most, right?......

I'm sure you knew all that when you bought the car.
the exterior body belies the interior/trunk space.
the trunk looks like an afterthought.
same with the infiniti m37.
seems like this is a japanese thing.....

on a similar note, i hate how all lexus sedans don't have fold down back seats. who the hell started this trend, and why?

the 5 series has always had fold down seats.......... and a cavernous trunk.
hahhaa wait, you are still the one who always moans!

i can't understand about the fold down seats neither. personally i don't really buy the whole structural talk. i don't see e and 5 being any weaker on structure

Originally Posted by passnu2
glad I could be of help

Its not bad...but its not the greatest either. If your getting another car and keeping the GS then its worth keeping IMO. This is pretty much what the GS is for in our household. We "tried" that whole SUV thing and well that lasted all of a year. We both dont care for them and much rather have cars. There are other cars that will offer the space that you need for the family and the GS will be a good back up. I was also going to get rid of the GS and this was one of the reasons for us. For now we are going to hold onto it.

I must say the benz is a sharp car
hahaha, mb and bmw are nice cars when they don't break down. and it's a gamble buying those cars, either it's very solid (like my m3), or it's sour like a lemon
Old 09-24-10, 03:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Unbelievable. BMW design is much more practical. But on the bright side, at least you don't have a GS450H trunk!
don't make fun of my trunk!
Old 09-24-10, 03:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100% Agreed out trunks so small its embarrasing to even open it and try to put something in it.
Old 09-24-10, 03:31 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually this is aint funny at all I've had an even worst experience. About a year ago, my cousin was coming to NYC with his friend for a week. I told him that I will pick both of them up at the airport. My cousin had 1 luggage + a sport/gym bag. The luggage nicely filled the entire trunk. His sport bag and the laptop went on the back seat. Now his friend......He was carrying similar bags, so I put his stuff in the back seat as well. Unfortunately, there was no room left for him. So he ended up taking a cab
Old 09-24-10, 04:36 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I agree too!

Romini,

I feel your pain. I also get upset and aggravated with that damn small trunk in my GS. I always hit the top part of the boot since the boot opening is SOO small and that the wheel wells are bulging into the trunk area so you cannot fit 2 medium size suitcases easily. Its a lousy design and I realize that Lexus has a problem with designing good trunk space that is even in size. Look at the RX with its odd sloping roofline and terrible wheel humps inside, you spend more time trying to put bags in a proper way and end up with no better results. Its downright pathetic really.
Old 09-24-10, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Actually this is aint funny at all I've had an even worst experience. About a year ago, my cousin was coming to NYC with his friend for a week. I told him that I will pick both of them up at the airport. My cousin had 1 luggage + a sport/gym bag. The luggage nicely filled the entire trunk. His sport bag and the laptop went on the back seat. Now his friend......He was carrying similar bags, so I put his stuff in the back seat as well. Unfortunately, there was no room left for him. So he ended up taking a cab
wow, now that's bad... i guess i should be happy i was able to take everything/everyone home....
Old 09-24-10, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Romini,

I feel your pain. I also get upset and aggravated with that damn small trunk in my GS. I always hit the top part of the boot since the boot opening is SOO small and that the wheel wells are bulging into the trunk area so you cannot fit 2 medium size suitcases easily. Its a lousy design and I realize that Lexus has a problem with designing good trunk space that is even in size. Look at the RX with its odd sloping roofline and terrible wheel humps inside, you spend more time trying to put bags in a proper way and end up with no better results. Its downright pathetic really.
actually, every time we go on long trips with the gs350, especially with my parents, i took all luggage downstairs the NIGHT before so i could take my time figuring how to stuff everything in.... if i did that in the morning, it would have been a time challenge

so yes, i am with you!
Old 09-24-10, 04:52 PM
LexFather

Of course some want to get carried away here.........jeez it is the TRUNK of the car and its not the main selling point unless your name is Joe and you need to dump the bodies in the river. Then you probably look at Trunk Room first.

Could it be improved? Yes. It is the end of the world? No. Hell I have a GSh and the trunk has rarely ever been an issue. On Airport runs it handles smaller and medium duffel bags just fine.

Besides Henry had a LS before and that has a huge trunk.
Old 09-24-10, 06:07 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Unfortunately, there was no room left for him. So he ended up taking a cab
Tell him to get on top and HANG ON.
Old 09-24-10, 06:40 PM
808LexGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I bought a 2nd car a 97 Subaru Outback about a year ago. I used to have a Range Rover and that thing could fit my so much stuff but I didn't like taking it to go surf and getting sand in it. The other reason was b/c I didn't want to put too many miles on the RR and gas was pricey to fill that thing up.

So now that I have the GS and I'm so glad I bought the Outback. It's a reliable beater and I can fit so much stuff in the trunk and if I lay down the seats, I can prob fit my GS in there, haha.
Old 09-24-10, 07:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha, mb and bmw are nice cars when they don't break down. and it's a gamble buying those cars, either it's very solid (like my m3), or it's sour like a lemon
never owned a benz but have had a few bmw and I never had any issues. I sure do hear lots of bad stories so guess I was fortunate.

keep the GS and pick up a used LS. Plenty of room for everyone and a good size trunk
Old 09-25-10, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Of course some want to get carried away here.........jeez it is the TRUNK of the car and its not the main selling point unless your name is Joe and you need to dump the bodies in the river. Then you probably look at Trunk Room first.

Could it be improved? Yes. It is the end of the world? No. Hell I have a GSh and the trunk has rarely ever been an issue. On Airport runs it handles smaller and medium duffel bags just fine.

Besides Henry had a LS before and that has a huge trunk.
hahhaa, actually if you talk about the ls (i assume ls460). it has a bigger trunk (and a lot more usable of course), but until you see the trunk size of the s class or 7 series. however at that point i don't think i need that big of a trunk.

we actually thought about getting a used ls460l, but then we never really get the same car twice so that one is out of the window.

for sure this "incident" (kind of making it sound too serious) leave some bitter taste and we are quite disappointed by this car. but for 80% of the time this car will just handle our task fine (maybe until i try to fit the stroller in the trunk...).

but for the record, my wife is still pretty pissed about this so today i gladly handed her the key for m3 and i drove the gs to work
Old 09-25-10, 06:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^I sat in a used LS460l at the dealer I was very tempted to hand them my keys and leave. I never thought I would like larger cars but this car was calling my name when I sat in it

Any reason you got rid of yours in the past? Just not the right time or did you have some issues with it
Old 09-25-10, 09:25 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Our relative came visit. 2 of them, 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks. My wife and I discussed if we were going to drive the GS350 or the M3. We looked at the trunk of the M3 and tried to picture how to fit the two suitcases (hard shell, standard sizes) and decided it might not be enough. The GS350 trunk looks to be a bit bigger so we decided to drive the GS350.

Went to airport, picked them up curb side, opened trunk, put in the first suitcase. Already had a bad feeling, didn't seem like it has enough space!!! Tried put in 2nd one, *(&^(*$&^ didn't fit no matter what! Fine, took it back out, re-org the first one, 2nd one still didn't fit!!!!

The trunk is not high enough to stack two. The trunk is not deep enough to fit two. The trunk is not wide enough to put two. And impossible to angle 2nd one in any way. WTF!!!!!!!! Seriously, this is a completely retarded design. And the whole time with about a trillion people around looking at us. Brilliant.

Ended up we had to put one of the suitcase in the rear middle seat, and then the head room was so bad, the suitcase wheels rubbed on the roof lining. ARGH, more clean up!!!!!

Came home and I looked at the two cars again. Yeah, the GS350 looks to have a bigger trunk, but talk about usability? My M3 convertible pretty much has the same size!!!!!! This is really stupid

This is such a shame and I am really pissed. A car in this segment and I can't even fit 2 suitcases. With the 5 and E it would have been very simple with the much bigger and wider and deeper trunk. My previous GS400, believe it or not, I was able to fit THREE (!!!) hard shell suitcases and still with space to spare!!!! Even the new C class has a more usable trunk.

This is really unacceptable. Well, my wife is even more pissed than me after seeing how useless the trunk is...

SIGH....
Henry is time to get a SUV, better yet a new Swagger wagon Sienna SE.. I'm pretty sure your wife will love it I can already be yelling "soccer mom" haha
Old 09-25-10, 09:48 AM
austinGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend says that bottom enhancement kits do exist. Maybe that's the answer.... lets looks up Sewell parts!

Sorry....could not resist!

Quick Reply: Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)