GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus Service Dept - expensive

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 01:39 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghd8989
The people who complain about the money it takes to keep their cars going and maintenance costs should not be in a Lexus. Not to be an elitist, but there are cars for you out there and they Camrys, Avalons or Corollas. People try to do things for bottom dollar while trying to live "up" seemingly beyond their means.

To me, these costs are almost negligible because I EXPECTED to pay a bit more and it would be absurd to expect otherwise.

end of rant
If you can save $100 on a flat ground, Why wouldn't you? I don't trust lexus doing anything with my car (well expect warranty work that would of cost me an arm n a leg) Oil changes check ups etc etc i take it to my mechanic. Simple as that pay 1/4 of the price, feel much safer n calmer. Yes i don't get a loaner, food, beverages, etc etc if i wanted all that i would of hit up friday's or applebee's and still save money.
Old 10-01-10, 04:30 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people who complain about the money it takes to keep their cars going and maintenance costs should not be in a Lexus. Not to be an elitist, but there are cars for you out there and they Camrys, Avalons or Corollas. People try to do things for bottom dollar while trying to live "up" seemingly beyond their means.

To me, these costs are almost negligible because I EXPECTED to pay a bit more and it would be absurd to expect otherwise.

end of rant

No need to rant.

People just value things differently. If you value the amenities at your lexus dealer and the feeling of being pampered, then so be it. I just am not one of those people. I also dont think the work (outside of warranty issues) is better than what is available at the Toyota dealer, therefore I dont place a premium on the actual work itself.

When you pay the extra for an oil change, just realize that you could get the exact same service for a fraction of the cost...or that you are paying a significant premium for the leather couches.
Old 10-01-10, 05:07 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

end of rant
There is absolutely no reason that a Lexus should cost any more than a Toyota to maintain. Some of us just don't care that the dealership has an espresso machine in the lobby and offers biscottis. I'd rather pay 1/3 as much, take the money that I didn't spend getting my oil changed, and buy my own espresso machine.

If somehow the money being demanded translated into some level of superior service, that would be a different story, but from my experience it just doesn't, at all, quite the opposite!
Old 10-01-10, 09:36 AM
socal3gs
Driver

back to topic, so what's the right price for 60k service?
Old 10-01-10, 09:56 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
There is absolutely no reason that a Lexus should cost any more than a Toyota to maintain. Some of us just don't care that the dealership has an espresso machine in the lobby and offers biscottis. I'd rather pay 1/3 as much, take the money that I didn't spend getting my oil changed, and buy my own espresso machine.

If somehow the money being demanded translated into some level of superior service, that would be a different story, but from my experience it just doesn't, at all, quite the opposite!
Well, the level is service is better whether that means your treatment while you wait, the loaner car filled with gas, or the car wash after.

Also, keep in mind that the cars that are in the equivalent tier of luxury cars, BMW, Mercedes charge way more than the aforementioned prices.
Old 10-01-10, 10:30 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the level is service is better whether that means your treatment while you wait, the loaner car filled with gas, or the car wash after.

Also, keep in mind that the cars that are in the equivalent tier of luxury cars, BMW, Mercedes charge way more than the aforementioned prices.
Yea thats why there was an article how bmw admitted knowing that they're cars without warranty are very expensive to keep. (In another words brake often) So that's why they still keeping bumper to bumper warranty on BMW. Brakes,oil,windshield wipers, tires etc etc. Only way to actually sell a BMW.
Old 10-01-10, 11:20 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Yea thats why there was an article how bmw admitted knowing that they're cars without warranty are very expensive to keep. (In another words brake often) So that's why they still keeping bumper to bumper warranty on BMW. Brakes,oil,windshield wipers, tires etc etc. Only way to actually sell a BMW.
Do you have anything to substantiate this claim? I wouldn't typify your average BMW driver as one that dissects the warranty as many BMW drivers are aware their cars break often and trade them in shortly after their warranty is about to run out.

The same thing for Mercedes owners. I have found it to be true that the sentiment of a Mercedes owner is that they acknowledge their shortcomings for reliability but they simply like them. The owners that are out of warranty are very aware that they will pay an arm and a leg for subsequent repairs. Despite this fact, they maintain a customer loyalty seeming unexplainable to me, but nevertheless prevalent.

Last edited by ghd8989; 10-01-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-01-10, 11:23 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Also, a car that is expensive to maintain doesn't necessarily mean it is breaking. There is a lot of preventative maintenance that ought to be performed that people don't do which leads to breaking. The M3 is a perfect example of this. These cars can be bulletproof but people wait until something turns catastrophic and regard the cars as unreliable or too expensive to own.
Old 10-02-10, 10:08 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Also, a car that is expensive to maintain doesn't necessarily mean it is breaking. There is a lot of preventative maintenance that ought to be performed that people don't do which leads to breaking. The M3 is a perfect example of this. These cars can be bulletproof but people wait until something turns catastrophic and regard the cars as unreliable or too expensive to own.
OK, good pt so lets be clear/more definitive.

If regular maintenance such as an oil change = $60-$80 this could be called "expensive to maintain" because there are acceptable options at a fraction of the price. This falls under the OP's question asking whether Lexus service is expensive. For the service itself, I think some are saying yes...but to others who value the fringe benefits, they say no. So it depends on what you value.

If a simple repair (beyond an oil change) requires a special mechanic at a higher rate with no real alternatives...this would qualify as "expensive to maintain".

If the car requires additional servicing to maintain its performance that is out of the ordinary (including poor reliability)...whether it requires special labor or not qualifies as "expensive to maintain".

Operator error is a different issue...ANY car that is not properly maintained could be considered "expensive to maintain".

To me a Lexus is affordable to maintain as it has better than average reliability...and service can be found at an acceptable price pt.

As for what a 60K service should cost. Depends on what truly needs to be done. I'd rather people post what a no frills price is...and let people add whatever they are willing to add for the fringe benefits. The no frills can be the baseline for apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by MelYW; 10-02-10 at 10:11 AM.