GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus Service Dept - expensive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 01:58 PM
LexMont
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Service Dept - expensive

GS300 oil/filter change = $80 estimate!

GS300 60K service = $887 estimate!

Does that sound about right? What does your dealer charge? Recommendations?
Old 09-24-10, 02:10 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil/filter change is a little cheaper than mine.

I'm not even close to 60k so can't comment on that. I did get a quote for 30k service at $535...

Seriously thinking about stop going to the dealership service department.
Old 09-24-10, 02:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds about right to me. I am at 60k right now so I will be prepared for a big hit when I go in next time. I am going to see if they can reduce the price on the 60k service. I dont need all of the BS checks. They do them for free at the cheaper services as well. One member said that he tells the techs not to do certain useless things to get the price down
Old 09-24-10, 03:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer charges $60 for oil change, and $100 for a level 1 service. Not sure about 60k mile service and I don't think I will ever get there based on my driving patterns.

I think Lexus service is a bargain. You get to interact with people who speak proper English, who are clean. They don't get oil on your upholstery. They give you a free loaner, or access to a very nice lounge. My dealer even offers a free spa treatment while you wait.

Compare that to my BMW dealer which charges $220 for a Level 1 service which is just oil change, ECU diagnostic and inspections. They won't sell an oil change on its own for less.

There is no question that in the luxury car industry, Lexus service is a bargain.

Of course I can go to Sears Auto, deal with a guy in oily overalls who talks down to me in ebonics, spanglish, or some other form of pigeon English and save $30 bucks on the oil change. But then I could also have bought a Hyundai with all the gadgets my Lexus has for $20k less. I'd rather have the luxury of a premium experience.

Last edited by *Batman*; 09-24-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 04:33 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
My dealer charges $60 for oil change, and $100 for a level 1 service. Not sure about 60k mile service and I don't think I will ever get there based on my driving patterns.

I think Lexus service is a bargain. You get to interact with people who speak proper English, who are clean. They don't get oil on your upholstery. They give you a free loaner, or access to a very nice lounge. My dealer even offers a free spa treatment while you wait.

Compare that to my BMW dealer which charger $220 for a Level 1 service which is just oil change, ECU diagnostic and inspections. They won't sell an oil change on its own for less.

There is no question that in the luxury car industry, Lexus service is a bargain.

Of course I can go to Sears Auto, deal with a guy with oily overalls who talks down to me in ebonics, spanglish, or some other form of pigeon English and save $30 bucks on the oil change. But then I could also have bought a Hyundai with all the electronics my Lexus has for $20k less. I'd rather have the luxury of a premium experience.
Well said, that's why I bought a Lexus - good value.

"pigeon english" - ROFL
Old 09-24-10, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Its a Lexus, its supposed to be expensive. This is not a Civic. You can negotiate with your dealer for the level of service you want done to your car. You can even bring in your own items for them to use. There are ways to make it cheaper.

I know by letting the dealer do the service they get it right and if they don't they stand by the work. Also when or if its time to trade her in or sell the value increases since all service records are at Lexus and not Bubba's car lot.

Honestly I can't say outside of Lexus is that much cheaper and not worth the hassle to me.
Old 09-24-10, 05:07 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

+3 on what Batman said.
Old 09-24-10, 05:10 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Compare that to my BMW dealer which charges $220 for a Level 1 service which is just oil change, ECU diagnostic and inspections. They won't sell an oil change on its own for less.

Of course I can go to Sears Auto, deal with a guy in oily overalls who talks down to me in ebonics, spanglish, or some other form of pigeon English and save $30 bucks on the oil change. But then I could also have bought a Hyundai with all the gadgets my Lexus has for $20k less. I'd rather have the luxury of a premium experience.
Yeah, Lexus service is definitely better than BMW, at least by me. I just had my 40k and it was 225 with the checks. I told them just to do the oil change for 75. My rearview mirror was also loose and vibrating. They tried to tighten but it was going to be 1600!!! But after I talked to them, they said they would do it for free. Going to see if it's worth replacing the windshield for the mirror and losing the factory seal.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-24-10, 06:19 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

wait, what? $1600 to tighten the rearview mirror? There's a TSIB for the rearview mirror, by the way.
Old 09-24-10, 06:19 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

price sounds about right,,,u can always try toyota dealership,,
Old 09-24-10, 06:45 PM
808LexGS
Driver

If you are in So Cal, there are a few independent Lexus mechanics in you can check out. They are much cheaper than the dealer.
Old 09-24-10, 08:28 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I go to the dealer for is warranty issues. Anything from the dealer is ridiculously over priced $90 for a oil change that they use citgo brand regular oil for is retarded. I check my own fluids and have my routine maintenance done by my boys shop!
Old 09-24-10, 08:43 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I bought the car for its reliability as well as upscale features. That being said, I dont want to spend more than I need to maintain it.

I just got my oil changed at my local Toyota dealer for the special they had going on...$24.99.

Car came back without a smudge. Service was very courteous. Waiting room was clean but lacked the flat screen and the all you can drink buffett at my Lexus dealership. Worth the $55 savings IMO, but that is me.

I will always check the Toyota dealership first...especially for routine maintenance. They are always running specials. Find local dealer websites of your local dealer and look under service specials.
Old 09-24-10, 08:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jtrue28
wait, what? $1600 to tighten the rearview mirror? There's a TSIB for the rearview mirror, by the way.
I had mine replaced for free out of warranty by Lexus. That is customer service. My dealership is fantastic.

The reason it costs so much is the homelink is now in the mirror where in the 2GS it is in a separate compartment above the roof. I saw the invoice for it that had to be approved and I was like "damn that is F-sport money"
Old 09-25-10, 12:20 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Thats awesome and unheard of. Wish i had that offer.... i'd never have to go to the dealership...cuz my girlfriend would offer to take it!

Quick Reply: Lexus Service Dept - expensive