GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Advice - rearview mirror shakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 04:44 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - rearview mirror shakes

I need some advice. My rearview mirror shakes when the road is bumpy or music is on loud. It was worse before but the techs tried to tighten it up as much as possible. Techs say they cannot do anything to make it less shaky unless I replace the windshield which has the bracket that attaches to the mirror. I know something is off with the whole setup since hte place pieces that lead up to the roof liner is loose too.

The service dept offer to replace my windshield and mirror for free. Windshield has some pitting in to but it's only 3 years old. Question is - do I replace mirror and windshield free of charge or do I avoid breaking the factory seal on the windshield? Also, any concerns with causing new rattles from this given sensitivity with dash rattles - already had this fixed and it's seems to have gone away for now.
Old 10-03-10, 06:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just curious if you have tried to tighten yourself? If not I would suggest to try....

if its just the mirror then I would have them start with replacing the mirror only. No reason to take out the windshield (not that it will harm anything) but why remove it unless they find it to be the reason.

I had the same issue when I first got my car and it sat at the dealer for 2 days and they figured it out and I havent had an issue since. I noticed this last week when I had a new IS250 loaner that the mirror was also lose? maybe trying a little Loctite may help from it coming lose again??
Old 10-04-10, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you should check with them on the tsib. there is a tsib (at least for the 2is) on the rear view mirrors, where people complain about vibrations and they replace the mirrors with a new design on (the one from isc?). i can't remember exactly but i think that tsib might be applicable to the 3gs as well
Old 10-04-10, 07:25 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-mirror-2.html

My solution helps but didn't fix it completely. Now I put on a little 'toy' on the mirror's side and I think that help a lot... it kinda act as cancellation to the vibration.
Old 10-04-10, 09:52 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine replaced under the TSIB, and was told in advance by my service advisor the new one would also vibrate. It does, so I just live with it.
Old 10-04-10, 04:56 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I had mine replaced under the TSIB, and was told in advance by my service advisor the new one would also vibrate. It does, so I just live with it.

I had my 07GS350 rear mirror replaced under the TSIB as well. It doesn't vibrate much like the original one.
Old 10-04-10, 05:58 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Here is my little toy fix to stop most of the vibration.

That is Goofy hanging.
Old 10-04-10, 06:57 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Here is my little toy fix to stop most of the vibration.

That is Goofy hanging.
I'm sorry worker, but man ... that is goofy!
Old 10-04-10, 11:07 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cak 500
i'm sorry worker, but man ... That is goofy!
lol.............
Old 10-05-10, 11:10 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I had my rearview mirror changed two times, when the service department changed it I was on vacation and the mirror happened to just fall. There wasn't enough glue holding the mirror up, they said the same thing that the brackets where the problem they fixed that and nothing changed. My suggestion leave it alone and live with it.
Old 10-06-10, 07:13 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Weird, I have never had any issue with mine vibrating. Do you guys adjust it a lot? Mine has mostly stayed in the same position give or take a tiny nudge now and then since I bought it.
Old 10-06-10, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Weird, I have never had any issue with mine vibrating. Do you guys adjust it a lot? Mine has mostly stayed in the same position give or take a tiny nudge now and then since I bought it.
i think it's pretty random. my wife and i both drive so we move the mirrors around quite a bit. we never have any vibration problem there. but one time i was in a loaner and the mirror was horrible
Old 10-06-10, 04:28 PM
Aristo82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
just curious if you have tried to tighten yourself? If not I would suggest to try....

if its just the mirror then I would have them start with replacing the mirror only. No reason to take out the windshield (not that it will harm anything) but why remove it unless they find it to be the reason.

I had the same issue when I first got my car and it sat at the dealer for 2 days and they figured it out and I havent had an issue since. I noticed this last week when I had a new IS250 loaner that the mirror was also lose? maybe trying a little Loctite may help from it coming lose again??
Can you guide us on how to tighten this?
Old 10-07-10, 05:13 PM
chauss
Driver

When my mirror shakes too bad....I just turn the bass down a touch! 8-)
Old 10-08-10, 10:54 AM
drewdogg80
Driver

Mine vibrated a bit, was replaced under warranty and things were much better. I don't listen to music very loud, but even on the freeway there were vibrations that made it tougher to see clearly out the back before the replacement. Ironically, a few months ago, had the windshield replaced because of a long crack and the vibration is back but I'm out of warranty now...living with the vibrations again.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - rearview mirror shakes