GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

cracked windshield and headlight cover replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 08:56 AM
bryanc182
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked windshield and headlight cover replacement...

Took a rock to the windshield this morning on my way to work and it cracked it. It goes all along the bottom and up the passanger side....so getting it filled in is out of the question. What's the cheapest way to get a replacement?? I've called all the lexus dealers around here (in Dallas/Fort WOrth) and it's running around $2k. ANy suggestions or anyone on the site have a hook up?? I'm willing to drive out of the area to get it replaced if anyone has a hook up. I'm also wanting to change my headlight covers as well....any recommendations on that as well??

Thanks in advance if you can help me out!!
Old 10-04-10, 09:04 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Nationwide insurance want to charge around $600 for windshield replacement. I don't think they replace it with Lexus Windshield though.

Update -- that $600 is after I told them I have the rain sensor.

Last edited by worker; 10-04-10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 09:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

does the windshield have the rain sensor? if so its like 1300 from lexus but lexus windshields are know to be crappy as they pit easily. you can get a good ppg one but i dont think they have the rain sensors on theirs.

which headlight are you looking for? i doubt you'll be able to just find the lense. i have 2 pair drivers headlights for parts.
Old 10-04-10, 11:30 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try to do it through ure insurance company, about headlights well ure screwed unless u replace the whole light assembly.
Old 10-04-10, 12:12 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a crack on my wife's RX350 last year. I did not want to fight with my insurance over an $1800 OEM replacement glass, so I went to Safelite and they replaced it for $365. That was the total price, I paid it myself, with no insurance involved. They also transferred the rain sensor over to the new windshield.

It's been over a year since the replacement, and so far I am unable to notice any difference between the OEM glass and the aftermarket one. I am pretty sure there will be an army of Lexus purists, who will convince you that $1800 OEM glass is the only way to go, its up to you, I am just sharing my experience.
Old 10-05-10, 12:52 PM
bryanc182
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I had a crack on my wife's RX350 last year. I did not want to fight with my insurance over an $1800 OEM replacement glass, so I went to Safelite and they replaced it for $365. That was the total price, I paid it myself, with no insurance involved. They also transferred the rain sensor over to the new windshield.

It's been over a year since the replacement, and so far I am unable to notice any difference between the OEM glass and the aftermarket one. I am pretty sure there will be an army of Lexus purists, who will convince you that $1800 OEM glass is the only way to go, its up to you, I am just sharing my experience.

won't it drop the value of the vehicle since it's not "lexus" glass??
Old 10-05-10, 12:56 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp

actually not really. we all know that the oem lexus one pits very easily and theres better ones out there. interesting that they transfered the rain sensor. thats good to know! thanks
Old 10-05-10, 01:10 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
interesting that they transfered the rain sensor. thats good to know! thanks
I don't think any windshield come with rain sensor mounted. It's important because the windshield with rain sensor have an open window for the rain sensor to work. The rain sensor always need to be transfer.

But than I don't work in the dealer nor the windshield place so I could be wrong.

More detail here.
Old 10-05-10, 07:20 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanc182
won't it drop the value of the vehicle since it's not "lexus" glass??
Well, we are not talking some high-end million-dollars automobile that must have those "matching numbers" in order to be sold. When was the last time you checked all the glass for the purpose of establishing authenticity, before buying a used car?

As far as the rain sensor, Safelite purchased a $20 double-sided sticky tape, that holds the sensor in place, from Lexus. Like I said, it's been over a year, no problems so far.
Old 10-06-10, 07:23 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

actually not really. we all know that the oem lexus one pits very easily and theres better ones out there. interesting that they transfered the rain sensor. thats good to know! thanks
Did you ever live in Seattle? =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle...tting_Epidemic
Old 10-17-10, 01:24 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Where did u get this info?? i have been installing glass (on and off) 15 yrs never heard this. All glass has to, by federal law, meet dot requirements. They all have a certain thickness and are strength tested.
Toyota and lexus use pilkington, agc and I forgot the other company's name. Lexus etches there name on it and everyone thinks lexus makes there own glass. I have seen some wavy looking ppg glass (which is now pgw) but not all the time. I have had issues with all other glass companies as well. I have had the least issues with pilkington out of all others, thats why I installed it in my own car.
Pitting depends on road conditions, where u live, how close u drive to other cars etc. By running your vin, a good glass company can find out what options your car has and select the proper replacement. Rain sensors are different in cars, some come partially affixed to the glass and some have a gel pack that sticks to the glass, but you always transfer the electronic part. If your car is still under warranty and you decide to go with an aftermarket glass, lexus dealer will not cover any issues with the rain sensor, rearview mirror etc. You will have to get the warranty from the glass company you choose. I would worry more about the installer you choose over the glass. Not all tech's know what they are doing and can really f your car up. Ask around some car dealerships in your area and see who they use. Usually they will use someone dependable and experienced. good luck

Last edited by BLAZE; 10-17-10 at 01:35 PM.