GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bluetooth streaming music is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am not really sure what it isas well. I have satellite radio and my ipod connected so I am wondering what this is.
songs streamed from your device to factory system through bluetooth

2010+ lexus can do that i think
Old 01-22-11, 04:47 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSLA
Is it possible to swap out the older headunit (With cassette) to a new headunit with bluetooth audio
It could be done with a lot of modification, but you would need to keep most of the factory electronics installed somewhere in the car otherwise your HVAC system won't work (you control everything through the factory headunit, right).

I know the bottom part with the cassette and CD changer is detachable and separate from the actual display but I have not heard of anybody changing out just this part with something else and I'm not sure if the rest of the display will freak out if it's missing or not. It may or may not be a standard double din size but almost certainly nobody has made a DIN adapter to cleanly do this or a factory harness interface for their decks.
Old 01-22-11, 06:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckdaddy
If you're streaming music and a call comes in, the music automatically pauses when you take a call through the built in bluetooth handsfree on the stereo. Once you hang up, the music resumes. I got mine from Amazon for $45. It works flawlessly with the iPhone 3g and 4g. There are some issues with the Droid X where you have to disable and re-enable the bluetooth at times to force it to pair with the device. However, this is clearly an issue with the Droid X and not the Blackberry Stereo Gateway since I have no issues with the iPhone. Definitely worth it!
I don't understand how it can switch from streaming audio via the blackberry stereo gateway, to doing calls via the Lexus bluetooth. The iPhone only allows one bluetooth connection at a time, and it does not switch seamlessly.

Please explain?
Old 01-24-11, 03:01 AM
chuckdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't understand how it can switch from streaming audio via the blackberry stereo gateway, to doing calls via the Lexus bluetooth. The iPhone only allows one bluetooth connection at a time, and it does not switch seamlessly.

Please explain?
The iPhone and all mobile devices that support A2DP can have multiple bluetooth connections. The iPhone, for example, supports 6 bluetooth profiles. In this case it uses HFP (Hands Free Profile) and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). The iPhone can pair up to multiple bluetooth devices however, you are right that only one connection can be active at a time. If you're streaming your music, it uses A2DP. When a phone call comes in, it cuts off the music and switches to the HFP. When you end your phone call, it will switch back to the A2DP because the phone is smart enough to know that you were on A2DP prior to switching to HFP. This is exactly how it connects to a stereo that supports both HFP and A2DP. It's still 2 different profiles.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-24-11, 10:21 AM
GSLA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I think I didn't make it clear enough. The 05-07 is the one with cassette on the bottom, what if I swap the whole navi unit out with the newer one, will I get bluetooth audio transfer?
Old 01-24-11, 12:08 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

This is actually an awesome feature. Once you pair your phone (Iphone in my case), it automatically plays when you start the car each time. Not sure about the RX, but on my GS I can fast foward or rewind from the steering wheel controls and the buttons on the car radio. I don't have to touch my phone for it play. Can't really comment on the quality of sound. Everything sounds crystal clear to me. The only thing may be that it doesn't play as "loud" as if you had a cable connected to the ear phone jack.

Great feature!
Old 01-24-11, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hi, I think I didn't make it clear enough. The 05-07 is the one with cassette on the bottom, what if I swap the whole navi unit out with the newer one, will I get bluetooth audio transfer?
the swap to 2010 won't be trivial, the whole system has changed (gen6 for 2010+ and hdd base nav)
Old 01-24-11, 03:44 PM
GSLA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man! That's a bummer. So meaning that I have to also switch out the Navi, not just the "dash" area equipments.
Old 01-24-11, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Man! That's a bummer. So meaning that I have to also switch out the Navi, not just the "dash" area equipments.
well the 2010+ head unit, it has the nav in it as well already, unlike the 06-09 where it's located behind glove box. but i think the problem is all the wiring harnesses, they are different now
Old 01-25-11, 12:53 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a kit can do the same thing for my 07 GS without OEM 3.5mm aux input?

I think I can use a cassette adapter plug into a female-to-female 3.5mm?
Old 02-21-11, 10:27 AM
richtj99
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

A friend of mine with an android phone wants to upgrade his 2009 IS250 to a 2011 GS350. Currently, his bluetooth works (not for audio) for phone calls, but he cannot use voice dialing through the phone (no way to have the car inititate the phone).

Does the 2011 also do voice dialing through the phone (not the older style where you save your settings)?

Now, if he holds the search button & says "Call Rich @ mobile" it dials, but its not a great hands free solution.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 02-21-11, 05:00 PM
Ken300
Rookie

I love it... Bluetooth streaming with my Iphone 3GS.
My 06 GS300 AWD of course doesn't have this feature but the 2010 HS250 hybrid I have as a loaner has this feature and it is really slick. I'll be listening to some podcast and when I exit the car and re-enter, it starts playing the podcast right where I left off. It paused the audio playback when a call is placed or received.
To bad there's no easy way to upgrade or add this feature to our older cars.
That's one of the nice things I liked about the BMW 5-series... first, they kept the basic electronics and functions the same for many model years. For example, I had a 98 528i with a 4X6 Nav screen and a CD based Nav maps. I was able to upgrade that to a 6X9 Nav screen and a DVD based Nav map system. From 1997 through 2003, I'd say 90% of the stuff was interchangable!! That sure makes it easy to upgrade stuff as new stuff becomes available. I think they used 2 different wiring harnesses. Lexus appears to use a different wiring harness for each different model and each model year.
Old 02-21-11, 06:31 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Bluetooth streaming is great just for convenience but it has some big problems:

2) The sound quality is just not there compared to a wired digital method such as direct from CD or direct from USB.
Well, you may be right or may be wrong. This is why. IF car's unit has MP3 decoder AND you phone A2DP supports MP3 streaming, you get absolutely no diff b/n wired or wireless connection - because there is no loss in quality...

Now IF one/or both of the above - phone and car unit has only default SBS codec supported, you DO have loss in quality, but to be honest noticeable may be by side by side comparison.