GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bluetooth streaming music is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 09:15 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth streaming music is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys
Gave in my baby for the valve spring recall and i got a ES350 BASE!!!!!!! loaner. No camera,no nav, no tilting mirrors, no parking sensors basiclly nothing expect bluetooth. But it has BLUETOOTH STREAMING!!!!!!!!!!! ITS F IN AWESOME i am in love with it. Can't wait till vais makes the aftermarket one for our car to actually own it.
Old 10-05-10, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very cool! i have never tried, maybe you can give more info as well. does the audio device (say iphone, etc...) need to have special setting to stream audio to the car? i suppose once it's paired with the car, it can start streaming? how about when a call comes in?
Old 10-06-10, 01:58 AM
chuckdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an 08 3gs or an aftermarket aux port (an iSimple gateway like I do), you can purchase an aftermarket bluetooth A2DP device that would plug into the aux port which would give you the ability to stream music. I have the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway in mine and it works great. It plugs directly into the aux port in the center console and requires power via mini usb. I have a Griffin dual USB charger in the power outlet in the center console as well so everything is easily accessible and nicely concealed.

If you're streaming music and a call comes in, the music automatically pauses when you take a call through the built in bluetooth handsfree on the stereo. Once you hang up, the music resumes. I got mine from Amazon for $45. It works flawlessly with the iPhone 3g and 4g. There are some issues with the Droid X where you have to disable and re-enable the bluetooth at times to force it to pair with the device. However, this is clearly an issue with the Droid X and not the Blackberry Stereo Gateway since I have no issues with the iPhone. Definitely worth it!
Old 10-06-10, 03:41 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

I am lost. Bluetooth streaming?
Old 10-06-10, 07:04 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bluetooth streaming is great just for convenience but it has some big problems:

1) You need to use the device that is doing the streaming to actually navigate and play, at the receiving end it is more like a wireless aux input.

2) The sound quality is just not there compared to a wired digital method such as direct from CD or direct from USB.
Old 10-06-10, 07:34 AM
TWong350

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

1) You need to use the device that is doing the streaming to actually navigate and play, at the receiving end it is more like a wireless aux input.

2) The sound quality is just not there compared to a wired digital method such as direct from CD or direct from USB.
My feelings exactly. But, I think the conveniences it provides, outweigh these negatives. The sounds isn't that bad, for me at least.
Old 10-06-10, 07:55 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

Yup. I have a 2010 RX350 loaner right now that I tried it out on. All you can do from the nav screen interface is play or pause. Very disappointing. The sound quality is, as Jay mentioned not quite up to par with wired input either.

Also a little annoying that if your BT device is a phone, as mine is, you must pair it twice. Once as a phone and again as a BT audio device.
Old 10-06-10, 09:57 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
very cool! i have never tried, maybe you can give more info as well. does the audio device (say iphone, etc...) need to have special setting to stream audio to the car? i suppose once it's paired with the car, it can start streaming? how about when a call comes in?
The way I found out about this feature, I paired my I phone to the car and after it was paired ladies voice said you're phone supports streaming audio. I was confused at first but them remembered that bluetooth streaming is wireless connecting phone to the car to listen to music watch video etc etc. There is no special setting, on a bottom of you playlist there is a icon that looks like bluetooth, you get to pick where you want to listen to you're music. Yes I had to connect Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth streaming, not sure what will happen once I get into my car again. Will it connect both together automatically or i would manually have to reconnect them. When a calls comes in the music dims and you can answer you're phone call through the car or the phone. You will need a phone that supports bluetooth streaming, only 2 confirmed phones that work is I Phone 4g and blackberry Torch ( the new one with touch screen n keyboard) I am pretty sure a lot of the other phone works also. Now about the quality its GREAT, CD and XM comparable. I would say it actually sounds better then 80% of the tracks on cd's i listen. Now someone said you can't change tracks, well of course you can through the steering wheel or the center console. This is where i don't like it because once you press the button to change track on the steering wheel it takes no lie 2 seconds to switch. It lags at that, but to be honest that's not a biggie at all. Question here is can you stream youtube video if you had a screen or ml in the ES. I would love to find out my bay ridge lexus are cheap asses and give base base loaners. On a side note I have played a youtube video through my I Phone and the sound was coming throught the speakers of the car.
Old 10-06-10, 12:19 PM
dzl1907
Driver School Candidate

Took my 2007 gs 450h in yesterday for the recall and got a rx 350 loaner. I read this post about an hour ago and tried it out and it worked. This is a very sweet feature, I wish my gs had it. Good looking out on the tip.
Old 10-07-10, 08:16 PM
scootrrydr
Driver School Candidate

So what's a good streaming internet site to choose from? I wanna try it!
Old 01-22-11, 12:37 PM
GSLA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to swap out the older headunit (With cassette) to a new headunit with bluetooth audio
Old 01-22-11, 12:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
I am lost. Bluetooth streaming?
I am not really sure what it isas well. I have satellite radio and my ipod connected so I am wondering what this is.
Old 01-22-11, 12:54 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
So what's a good streaming internet site to choose from? I wanna try it!
Check out Pandora
Old 01-22-11, 03:55 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am not really sure what it isas well. I have satellite radio and my ipod connected so I am wondering what this is.
Wireless playback of music through a bluetooth device with the A2DP profile.

Personally, I'm a fan of skipping the whole ipod/bluetooth/yaddayadda devices and just sticking any old big and cheap usb drive directly into the car to play the files directly off that.
Old 01-22-11, 04:24 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSLA
Is it possible to swap out the older headunit (With cassette) to a new headunit with bluetooth audio
now do you really think you could give up the cassette???

Quick Reply: Bluetooth streaming music is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!