GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10 | 11:12 AM
mahmudb
Driver School Candidate

Default New to Lexus

Hey guys thought I'd introduce myself. My brother in law has an 05' LS430 so I liked his car but wasn't needing such a big car. I was driving an 03' Infiniti M45 which had a ton of power, but would drink gas and had some problems. Still have the car but absolutely love the new GS. I also own a 97' BMW 740IL which is a great car with tons of room. Anyway more details on the car.

Its a 2008 GS350 AWD in Black Sapphire and tan interior. When I got the car it had about 15.6k miles and was really like new. Navigation has saved me numerous times so I definitely recommend getting the GS with nav. Only thing I've gotten for the car are new weathertech mats which are great mats and very durable.

I have a question in regards to LED bulbs. I bought a pair of LED bulbs off ebay for the fogs and was wondering if I'll be needing the V-LED module or will they work without the module? Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-13-10 | 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

congrats on your gs and welcome to clublexus!

i will let someone else chime in on the leds
Old 10-13-10 | 12:49 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

If they are just straight replacement bulbs that happen to be LEDs you shouldn't need anything. Of course, your fog lights will be absolutely useless for actually lighting the road if you install them though.
Old 10-13-10 | 12:51 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Congrats and welcome. Your fog will be useless as far as illumination with LEDs.
Old 10-13-10 | 02:15 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

just curious as to why people are saying your cars fogs will be useless with the led. im in the aquarium business(" i know its completely different"). and in reef tanks the common lighting has always been metal halides. a type of h.i.d. but consumes alot of electricity and runs very hot. now people are making l.e.d lighting fixtures that run cool, less power consumption and put out more lumens per watt.lumens=light. im sorry i dont see why the l.e.d will make the fogs useless.unless the fogs have no reflectors.
Old 10-13-10 | 02:17 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

then again ive never had l.e.ds on a car. i know they do sell hid conversions for fog llights.
Old 10-13-10 | 02:39 PM
mahmudb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I bought them cause they were cheap so I thought I'd give them a try. I bought the ones with the 68 leds. I will post pictures when I install them. If anything I may just install HIDs in the fogs later on.
Old 10-13-10 | 02:45 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If they are just straight replacement bulbs that happen to be LEDs you shouldn't need anything. Of course, your fog lights will be absolutely useless for actually lighting the road if you install them though.
they also look very nice when its night time

i myself do not have LEDS for my fogs but i have HIDS for my fogs and i can say my foglights are brighter than my lows so it helps a lot at night.
Old 10-13-10 | 05:13 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
your fog lights will be absolutely useless for actually lighting the road if you install them though.
Originally Posted by Yang1815
Your fog will be useless as far as illumination with LEDs.
That's the new COOOOOL. Like the rear windshield, it slant so much it became a narrow slit.

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
common lighting has always been metal halides. a type of h.i.d. but consumes alot of electricity and runs very hot. now people are making l.e.d lighting fixtures that run cool, less power consumption and put out more lumens per watt.lumens=light. im sorry i dont see why the l.e.d will make the fogs useless.unless the fogs have no reflectors.
regular fog bulb put out about 1000 lumen, the LED he put in probably top out around 200 lumen at best. To make it worse LED light is concentrated light, while fog is suppose to be refract making that 200 lumen lighting about 2 foot area from the bumper.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
i myself do not have LEDS for my fogs but i have HIDS for my fogs and i can say my foglights are brighter than my lows so it helps a lot at night.
I just put in HID 2 months ago. I wouldn't say it's brighter than the low beam, they are both HID. I think you perceive it brighter cause it doubles the amount of light.

I think mostly the fog fill in where the low beam leaves off a bit. Low beam seem to concentrate and project more toward the front, light only a little to the sides and bottom. The fog lights however, scattered that light all over but closer proximity.

I love the HID in the fog lights. It's a huge improvement. But I wonder how it really do in actual fog condition. The added light might make it worse.
Old 10-13-10 | 05:55 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

not sure why you say it wont light anything up. it depends on the wattage of the leds. but i know on aquariums. its being used to light reefs. and is supposedly putting out more lumens than hid's which in the aquarium trade are actually metal halides. i found this online. im no scientist. i was just under the impression that l.e.d was taking over the world lol.i got this off of yahoo,i think. but anyways let me know what the l.e.ds look like when installed.arre they brite or what. i need to upgrade aswell.
The term "Lumens per Watt" is the amount of light output from a source (light bulb?) per unit of power input (Watt). It means that a light source that has a higher lumens per Watt will have higher light output for similar amount of energy.
Some examples:
a typical incandescent light bulb: about 10 or 15 lumens per Watt
a halogen lamp may have 15 to 25 lumens per Watt
a Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) has about 50 to 75 Lumens per Watt
the newer LED lamps are still being developed but are right now about 50 to 100 lumens per Watt
Old 10-13-10 | 11:19 PM
Hoovey689

Welcome and congrats!
Old 10-15-10 | 01:42 PM
mahmudb
Driver School Candidate

Got around to installing those LED bulbs in the fog lights. I have mixed feelings on them. You guys were right about them being useless now but I do like the way they look. I'm going to leave them in for now and wait till I have time to order HID's for the fogs. Here are some pics in case some of you guys are considering LED bulbs. Also the bulbs that I bought were $21 shipped.

Halogen vs. LED

Both installed