GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car still drove without key card in vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 08:49 AM
pblms99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car still drove without key card in vehicle

my wife drove my car yesterday and forgot the key card in the other car and vehicle didnt shut off,why? how long can u drive the car for without the key 2006 gs300 push start...any answers
Old 10-16-10, 08:55 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

once you have started the car with the key in it, you can drive the car as far as you want....till you turn it off...which then you would need the key to turn the car back on... car isnt gona shut off while your driving, (that would suck)...
Old 10-16-10, 08:55 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It won't shut off, if you shut the car off then you won't be able to start it without the key.
Old 10-16-10, 01:44 PM
pblms99
Driver School Candidate

so that means any1 can jump in and drive away with it if u have it runing ,that suck!it should have had a distance for it to shut down...
Old 10-16-10, 02:31 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pblms99
so that means any1 can jump in and drive away with it if u have it runing ,that suck!it should have had a distance for it to shut down...
I think when you think it out it makes sense. For instance, imagine you are dropping your wife of at work. You forget your keys, but she's already in the passenger seat, so you are able to get in the car and switch it on.

You drive and drop her off. Now the car is still on but the key has left the car. There is a beep and a warning sign in the center display, but you're listening to music now, pretty loud since you love the sound of rock on the Mark Levinson. So you don't notice the warning.

Now you're turning left at a cross junction and the light is about to change to red, you can clear it before the cars come along, but the key times out and now you are stuck in the junction as a sitting duck. Or worse this happens on a railroad crossing.

Yes this is unlikely to happen, but we know from the whole unintended acceleration thing that an issue which affects maybe 1 in a 100,000 vehicles is still enough to cause a major safety outcry.

Now you may say its more likely to cause theft than accidents, but the difference is if someone comes up to you at a light and tells you to get out of your car, if you had a traditional key the key would go with the thief. So the Lexus smart key which leaves the car running without key isn't increasing the likelihood a thief can drive off with your car. But an automatic timeout would increase the likelihood of you dying in an accident.

Given that the Lexus stance on this makes a ton of sense, don't you think?
Old 10-16-10, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no, if you are going to step out of your car and afraid of people jumping in, why don't you shut off the car?

just think of a traditional vehicle. if you get out of the car and the car is running, where is the key? can someone jump in and drive away? a definite yes
Old 10-17-10, 04:00 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
no, if you are going to step out of your car and afraid of people jumping in, why don't you shut off the car?

just think of a traditional vehicle. if you get out of the car and the car is running, where is the key? can someone jump in and drive away? a definite yes
What he said. Anyone can jump into any running car and drive off...
Old 10-21-10, 10:19 PM
KK4510
Driver School Candidate

That's why I have a Lojack device on my keys so if my car is moved any distance without a key near, Lojack will call me and ask if I am with my car.
Old 10-22-10, 11:59 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by batman75
I think when you think it out it makes sense. For instance, imagine you are dropping your wife of at work. You forget your keys, but she's already in the passenger seat, so you are able to get in the car and switch it on.

You drive and drop her off. Now the car is still on but the key has left the car. There is a beep and a warning sign in the center display, but you're listening to music now, pretty loud since you love the sound of rock on the Mark Levinson. So you don't notice the warning.

Now you're turning left at a cross junction and the light is about to change to red, you can clear it before the cars come along, but the key times out and now you are stuck in the junction as a sitting duck. Or worse this happens on a railroad crossing.

Yes this is unlikely to happen, but we know from the whole unintended acceleration thing that an issue which affects maybe 1 in a 100,000 vehicles is still enough to cause a major safety outcry.

Now you may say its more likely to cause theft than accidents, but the difference is if someone comes up to you at a light and tells you to get out of your car, if you had a traditional key the key would go with the thief. So the Lexus smart key which leaves the car running without key isn't increasing the likelihood a thief can drive off with your car. But an automatic timeout would increase the likelihood of you dying in an accident.

This has actually happened to MB owner. This guy just picked up his long awaiting AMG e55 (it was back in 2004). His wife took it for the spin... Shortly after he dropped her off at local shopping mall with key still in her bag. The car drove away, but once warning timed out, and car stopped at traffic light the engine turned off. Unfortunately, it was on the middle lane of busy 55mph speed limit road. The driver was running for his life, and he was glad he did. Few minutes later someone crashed into it...
I believe MB has redesigned this feature in newer models.
Old 10-22-10, 12:31 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75

correct me if im wrong but the car wont shut off automatically unless you turn it off, then if you do not have the key, there is no way of turning it back on.
Old 10-22-10, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperpl
This has actually happened to MB owner. This guy just picked up his long awaiting AMG e55 (it was back in 2004). His wife took it for the spin... Shortly after he dropped her off at local shopping mall with key still in her bag. The car drove away, but once warning timed out, and car stopped at traffic light the engine turned off. Unfortunately, it was on the middle lane of busy 55mph speed limit road. The driver was running for his life, and he was glad he did. Few minutes later someone crashed into it...
I believe MB has redesigned this feature in newer models.
wow, if the story is true, then that's exactly why the car should still be running

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
correct me if im wrong but the car wont shut off automatically unless you turn it off, then if you do not have the key, there is no way of turning it back on.
you are correct. and that's pretty much how batman describes it
Old 10-22-10, 11:02 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

With my remote start the car doesn t even need to see the fob at all, however the alarm must be disarmed and the brake pedal pushed within 30 seconds of being disarmed or the car stalls. For example the car can be unlocked with the alarm disarmed If I remote start and someone randomly jumps in it and trys to take off as soon as they hit the brake the car will stall because the alarm was not disarmed 30 seconds before the break was hit! Took the shop awhile to get it right at first the car didn t need anything you could just go up to it if it was unlocked get in it a push the button and wahla you have stolen my car! Obviously this was unacceptable and corrected haven t had a problem for close to 2 years!