GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Getting the GS ready for the Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 01:27 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i am pretty sure the gs will feel quite different
It was a white, 1989, four-door, manual transmission 316is. Four cylinders, and not fast by any means but a decent handler and I put it through its paces whenever I had the chance.
Old 10-20-10, 04:59 PM
4drferio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill trade my 2nd gen for 3rd gen =]
Old 10-20-10, 08:05 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jre002
So like I've indicated in another thread, I'm taking the GS 300 to Europe. I'm at the point where I need a car there and that is a better solution than buying a used car over there. I just like my car.

So, I just bought the F-Sport sways today from Sewell and will install them when they get here. I'm thinking I'll also get the mudgards (snow and salt during winter). I'm also working on a Navi solution which is in another thread. Anything else I'm missing?

I have a set of BC coilovers for the AWD but haven't installed them yet and not sure I will. I have a potential buyer but if that falls through, I may just install them. The extra handling on the Autobahn would be nice.
how much would you sell your BC coilovers for?
Old 10-20-10, 10:31 PM
LexFather

Nice lists, great reading on German driving.
If no BBK maybe pads.

Also find out if there are any differences between Euro Spec and USDM spec GS's.
Old 10-21-10, 09:56 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
how much would you sell your BC coilovers for?
See this thread in the classified section for pics and pricing info. PM me for offers. Thanks!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3ge...r-3gs-awd.html

Old 10-21-10, 10:37 AM
canatto
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd want an upgrade to heavier duty brakes. I was in Germany the last May and drove 1,800KM in a few days and saw many times how the fast drivers intimidating the left lane slow goers the autobahn way. They would approach at theiy usual 200+ km/hr speed with high beams flashing to the drivers doing 140-150lm/hr in the left lane until they almost rear-end, then they'd slam on the brake and smoke the asphalt to show their protesting, if the driver in the front hasn't had a chance to yield. There is little tolerance to slow going in the left lane there. I'd definately want a set of high performance brake if you are to do fast driving from time to time.
Old 10-21-10, 11:18 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

damn, seems like some of those "autobahn" people need to come to miami. i believe were ranked highest in the country for road rage. this sounds crazy to me. i know i wouldnt make it too long there. id be sent to jail pretty quickly.its fun to speed but you dont have to ba a d*ck about it. besides that sounds pretty damn dangerous.
Old 10-21-10, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
damn, seems like some of those "autobahn" people need to come to miami. i believe were ranked highest in the country for road rage. this sounds crazy to me. i know i wouldnt make it too long there. id be sent to jail pretty quickly.its fun to speed but you dont have to ba a d*ck about it. besides that sounds pretty damn dangerous.
as long as you know how to drive and get the hell out of the fast lane when you see the car from behind is going so fast. simple as that. that's very basic driving habit, slower traffic keeps right. i don't drive slow, but if i see cars coming at me fast from behind, i change lane and yield
Old 10-21-10, 02:55 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

The system over there of moving out of the fast lane if you are slower than oncoming traffic is IMO safer, more courteous, and should be implemented here in the states. Here you have people "planted" in the fast lane causing big traffic jams just because they are "doing the speed limit". They feel as though faster drivers are breaking the law and they have no desire to move. I much prefer the German system. Get out of the way and leave it up to the Polizei to enforce the speeding laws.
Old 10-21-10, 06:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The system over there of moving out of the fast lane if you are slower than oncoming traffic is IMO safer, more courteous, and should be implemented here in the states. Here you have people "planted" in the fast lane causing big traffic jams just because they are "doing the speed limit". They feel as though faster drivers are breaking the law and they have no desire to move. I much prefer the German system. Get out of the way and leave it up to the Polizei to enforce the speeding laws.
no kidding, imagine me driving in cali every day...
Old 10-21-10, 10:54 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, USA has some of the stupidest drivers in the world in terms of lane usage. Also, very few states have laws prohibiting cruising in a left lane if a right lan is open.

I think one of the reasons is lack of driver eduction. USA is one of the very few countries where any moron can walk into a DMV, take a multiple-choice test with only 80% or even 70% accuracy, and leave with a valid DL. The rest of th world requires at least some driver ed.