GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Getting the GS ready for the Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 03:20 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting the GS ready for the Autobahn

So like I've indicated in another thread, I'm taking the GS 300 to Europe. I'm at the point where I need a car there and that is a better solution than buying a used car over there. I just like my car.

So, I just bought the F-Sport sways today from Sewell and will install them when they get here. I'm thinking I'll also get the mudgards (snow and salt during winter). I'm also working on a Navi solution which is in another thread. Anything else I'm missing?

I have a set of BC coilovers for the AWD but haven't installed them yet and not sure I will. I have a potential buyer but if that falls through, I may just install them. The extra handling on the Autobahn would be nice.
Old 10-19-10, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

get some serious good tire setup.
Old 10-19-10, 03:33 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you're planning on going fast on the Autobahn, lowering it would be a great idea to lower your center of gravity. Perhaps stickier tires too?

Sounds like fun!
Old 10-19-10, 03:40 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taking GS to Europe

Do not understand why you need to put additional equipment on your car to drive on the Autobahn. I lived in Europe in the 70's, and other than a higher suggested speed limit and no set limit I do not see your need to spend additional money. Your car will handle well at the speeds it is capable of due to speed limiter installed on your ECU, which is 130 mph or approximately 210kilometers per hour. You should not be using it to drive like a race car, which it is not.
Old 10-19-10, 03:56 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Brakes !!!!! BIG BRAKES !!!!!
Old 10-19-10, 04:47 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Valley101
Do not understand why you need to put additional equipment on your car to drive on the Autobahn. I lived in Europe in the 70's, and other than a higher suggested speed limit and no set limit I do not see your need to spend additional money. Your car will handle well at the speeds it is capable of due to speed limiter installed on your ECU, which is 130 mph or approximately 210kilometers per hour. You should not be using it to drive like a race car, which it is not.
I've lived in Germany for 6 years on and off since 2001. I'm familiar with how the roads work and the speed limits. The back roads in Germany are great to drive on and quite twisty, as you must know. There is plenty of room for spirited driving without breaking laws or endangering other people. I disagree that the Autobahn does not present opportunities for improvement to your stock car. There is no reason to add performance to any car. I am adding these things because I would like to, not because I need to.

In any case, I am mainly asking people here on the forum about special accessories/upgrades for the GS which they know about which I might not that have some utilities. Don't want to be argumentative here, just socializing with other forum members. I don't think a lecture or lesson on European driving is required for this thread. I never said I want to "drive it like a race car". I am asking about useful items for this car specifically, not how to race a car on the Autobahn. Because I will add swaybars and mudgards, I am now trying to race? That is quite presumptuous. I appreciate your comments, but let's keep this thread positive. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and sharing in my experience.

Last edited by jre002; 10-19-10 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 05:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

as others have mentioned, lowering, good tires and big brake kit are necessary (?) if you plan on driving the autobahn. good luck with your mods and report back to us your driving experience.
Old 10-19-10, 05:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i wouldn't say anything is necessary, but there can always be improvement

a completely stock 3gs, i am sure it can do 130mph no problem. you don't even have to be in autobahn to do it but good tires, a tad lowering, sway bars, and better brakes, they can all help
Old 10-19-10, 06:38 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah guys, nothing is "necessary" to add to the GS to drive it on the Autobahn normally. There are diesel trucks, ford fiestas and minivans on the Autobahn in addition to the Porsches and M5s. The GS in stock form is not going to have any problems. A GS will be one of the nicer/better performing cars on the Autobahn, just like if it was on a highway in the states. I'm just going to do some things to make it more enjoyable to drive there and on the back twisties. Might even take it to the Nurburgring for some laps.
Old 10-19-10, 06:41 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i wouldn't say anything is necessary, but there can always be improvement

a completely stock 3gs, i am sure it can do 130mph no problem. you don't even have to be in autobahn to do it but good tires, a tad lowering, sway bars, and better brakes, they can all help
Yeah, definitely those improvements would be a nice plus. I'll probably get a set of steelies with good snow tires and ditch the all season tires I have now. Like the subtheme of this thread has been, the all-season tires will work, but the little extra safety and performance of the dedicated snow tires would be a good little upgrade.
Old 10-19-10, 06:42 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
as others have mentioned, lowering, good tires and big brake kit are necessary (?) if you plan on driving the autobahn. good luck with your mods and report back to us your driving experience.
Will do, my man!

I used to have a little 3 series sedan last time I was there. That was a fun car to drive.
Old 10-19-10, 06:48 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

European winters and lowered GS on coilovers, not a good mix. Maybe drop it on f-sport springs instead.
Old 10-19-10, 06:57 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
European winters and lowered GS on coilovers, not a good mix. Maybe drop it on f-sport springs instead.
Think of all the other kinds of cars in Germany that are lower. But are you referring to the vibrations?
Old 10-19-10, 08:37 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Just 130mph?
Boy, that probably is gonna feel slowwww over there!
Old 10-19-10, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jre002
Will do, my man!

I used to have a little 3 series sedan last time I was there. That was a fun car to drive.
i am pretty sure the gs will feel quite different

Quick Reply: Getting the GS ready for the Autobahn