GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

RECALL: 2006 GS300 potential brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 07:20 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
yeah but apparently they said they have nothing reagrding it so they need that mailed letter to provide the service first, sound crazy but my service guy is on vacation and I'm dealing with another service guy and thats what he said.
If you login to your owners account on Lexus' section you should be able to print out the thing that says your VIN needs a recall. You can also print out the press release about the recall.

In any case, I'm not really sure if it's even a matter of dealerships having to wait for a new part because I'm sure that it's the same part they've been using in the GS since the 2007 model year that they will be putting in. There may be some bureaucracy involved though, but anyway, it's not like the wheels are going to fall off in the meantime... unless there's a recall for that coming up.

I'm going to call next week and ask about it letter or not, I'll let you know what they say to me about it.
Old 10-30-10, 10:26 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called them since i have an 06 and it said on the news that allllll i repeat alllllll 06 gs is rx are to be recalled and the lady who answered the phone said that if i do not have the recall paper, i cannot make an appointment.. i was like WTF.. if something happens are you gonna cover it for being negligent? Sucks
Old 10-30-10, 11:09 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SRGS300
I called them since i have an 06 and it said on the news that allllll i repeat alllllll 06 gs is rx are to be recalled and the lady who answered the phone said that if i do not have the recall paper, i cannot make an appointment.. i was like WTF.. if something happens are you gonna cover it for being negligent? Sucks
It's been like 5 years, another couple of weeks isn't going to make the master cylinder explode on the highway. I'm sure you'll get your paper. Still, I don't know... on the web site it says I should call my dealer, not wait for a paper.
Old 10-30-10, 11:30 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
It's been like 5 years, another couple of weeks isn't going to make the master cylinder explode on the highway. I'm sure you'll get your paper. Still, I don't know... on the web site it says I should call my dealer, not wait for a paper.
You may be right but now that I know. It's just a feeling. And with my luck. Lol
Old 10-31-10, 04:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

If you login to your owners account on Lexus' section you should be able to print out the thing that says your VIN needs a recall. You can also print out the press release about the recall.

In any case, I'm not really sure if it's even a matter of dealerships having to wait for a new part because I'm sure that it's the same part they've been using in the GS since the 2007 model year that they will be putting in. There may be some bureaucracy involved though, but anyway, it's not like the wheels are going to fall off in the meantime... unless there's a recall for that coming up.

I'm going to call next week and ask about it letter or not, I'll let you know what they say to me about it.
I looked online didn't have my exact matched VIN but yeah let me know what your dealership says.
Old 10-31-10, 06:17 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mater about the recalls, I enjoy my gs 300 everyday.
Old 11-10-10, 11:56 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have this done yet? I wonder how long of a job this is.

BTW, my recall "alert" on drivers.lexus.com has changed to the following:

This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer and schedule an appointment to have this remedy performed as soon as possible.
What is the condition? During vehicle assembly, Lexus uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components. If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain a sufficient quantity of polymers, a rubber seal located at the rear of the brake master cylinder may become dry and curl during movement of the piston. If this occurs, a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak from the seal into the brake booster, resulting in illumination of the brake warning lamp. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the brake pedal feel could change, and braking performance could eventually begin to gradually degrade. If the warnings provided by the lamp illumination and the change in pedal feel are not heeded, a vehicle crash could occur.
Old 11-10-10, 12:28 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I looked online didn't have my exact matched VIN but yeah let me know what your dealership says.
They told me that it wasn't active in their system as of about a week or two ago, so they couldn't schedule anything. Reverted to the "wait for your letter". I don't think showing them a letter is actually required but getting the letter does indicate that the dealerships are ready to perform the recall.
Old 11-11-10, 05:19 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Has anybody seen the recall procedure document for this recall yet? I want to make sure that when they do this, they have to bleed the brake fluid as well as I'm due for a brake bleed and don't want to pay for it when it's going to need to be done soon anyway.
Old 11-11-10, 05:24 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar to previous recalls, dealerships may delay making appointments to perform these repairs because they have not received the replacement parts. If it is like the previous service campaigns and recalls, the parts go the dealers just before the letters go out to us.

steviej
Old 11-15-10, 07:47 PM
caveman
Driver

talked to the local dealer today about the brake fluid recall, the earliest they can schedule me is Nov 30th.
Old 11-15-10, 10:15 PM
username32
Pole Position

I guess this doesn't apply to all 06' GS300 as my Lexus dealer says no outstanding recalls despite service records not showing any replacement of the MS cup.
Old 11-16-10, 06:27 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by username32
I guess this doesn't apply to all 06' GS300 as my Lexus dealer says no outstanding recalls despite service records not showing any replacement of the MS cup.
Check your vin yourself at lexus.com.
Old 11-16-10, 10:00 AM
username32
Pole Position

Check your vin yourself at lexus.com.
Yea i logged in yesterday and it shows no outstanding recalls currently. Only things i saw in the records were a fuel tube recall done and something to do with the power steering, nothing else besides regular maintenance was performed.
Old 11-16-10, 02:50 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I got the letter about this from Lexus today. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow I suppose.

Quick Reply: RECALL: 2006 GS300 potential brake fluid leak