GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Would you purchase another GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 09:32 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my GS a great deal. I've driven it about 32,000 miles in 2 years and have shifted to my Tacoma as a daily driver to try to keep the mileage at a reasonable number but I still really appreciate it every time I drive it. Having said that, I think next time i'll probably be looking at an LS. Have had problems with cargo capacity in the GS but not enough to make me dislike the car or even frustrate me. What's more, I've always had a smoother riding car (Yukon Denali, DTS, etc.) and I since I don't drive like a kid anymore, smoother and quieter would be better for me.
Old 10-23-10, 02:13 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have thoughts of keeping the GS forever. I only drive it on the weekends or if its nice to the gym after work. I have a truck I drive to work. I would also like a 2nd Gen GS w/ the 2jz swap. However if I do decide to upgrade, It would be the LS 460 or BMW 750Li.
Old 10-23-10, 02:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I personally like the GS but I dont know if I would buy another one. Between the rattles, squeaks, recalls, etc I am kind of over Lexus. I have had about the same number of issues with my GS as I did with my G35 but at least infiniti could fix the problems . Dash rattles and creaks in a 50k is total BS. My lexus is the best looking car I have ever owned and the service treatment is stellar but it is not the fabled car that they make it out to be . Pursuit of perfection is clearly just a pursuit and they are falling behind. They are not as close to perfection as they once were. Bottom line is that all cars have issues so buy what you want as long as the service at the dealership is solid.

Lexus GS....love it.....but been there done that. Thats probably the best way to put it.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-23-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 03:33 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my GS, and if I had to buy a new car tomorrow, I'd probably get another one. I agree with others in feeling let down and annoyed with the recalls, squeak/rattle issues, brake squeal/dust issues, etc., but I know that the other models have similar if not worse issues.

That said, when the 4GS (especially a GS-F) is out I will definitely be looking to see if the 3GS issues have been exorcised before I even consider it.
Old 10-23-10, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
ZI've heard of something like this associated with a Lexus. What kind problems are you having?
I never have any problems.
haha your car must be on the minority

my car, rattles and more rattles, windshield, fitment, seats.... like i said, problems i see on the gs350, i think they are almost more than my gs400, is300, sc430, and ls460l combined

Originally Posted by dwiall
Unless they come out with a GSF I am going to consider other brands. The rattles and cheapness of the seats and other parts is very dissapointing for a $50K + car. I am still looking for a good white CLS63. I have not researched the MB factory warranty very much but am afraid it does not compare to Lexus and this is what keeps me from pulling the trigger. Anyone know if MB has a 6year/100,000 mile warranty like Lexus. Warranty on a MB is a must.
well, gsf doesn't mean the quality will be better it's just fundamental issue that lexus has to fix. for mb, factory warranty is ok, i mean, if you have a problem, they fix it. i supposed you looking for used. try to look for one with the chrysler extended warranty (gold or platinum), they are really good and people love it. it's no longer offered but they are transferable, they are golden and you want to make sure you have them

lexus does NOT have 6yr/100k warranty. lexus is 4yr/50k
Old 10-24-10, 08:36 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexus does NOT have 6yr/100k warranty. lexus is 4yr/50k[/QUOTE]

Lexus does have a 6yr/100K warranty, I have it, platinum with no dedctible. They also have a 7yr/125k. These are extended warranties not the original.

As far as GSF goes. It would be a trade off. I could except some of the dash noise if it had 500+ hp. Where it stands now is, this is the wifes car that I drive once and a while on the weekends and when it needs service. She needs AWD (WI. resident) so until the LS460 AWD drops another 10K I am stuck with it. She loves the car but also thinks the interior material is cheap compared to the LS (I know the LS is 20+ K more). When I look at other cars, the seating material seems much better, but like everything, its a trade off. I love the touch screen and think everyone should go this route. I had a 2011 RX450h for a loaner during the valve spring recall and thought the mouse was worse then texting. Not only do you have to look at the srceen, you have to continue to look at it until you get the pointer lined up on what you want, then keep doing it again to get through the drop down menues, blah blak blah, don't like it.

MB CLS. I have been looking at a sports car for myself, not as a daily driver and I am stuck between the CLS55 AMG and a Z06 corvette, very tuff decision but like the luxury with performance but loose handleing. If I had to make the decision today it would be the CLS. The only thing that scares me about the CLS is the reliability. Not being a daily driver I can let it sit if repairs are to much. I also think of replacing the GS with the CLS for the wife but I always forget it is RWD. Gotta go.
Old 10-24-10, 09:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dwiall
lexus does NOT have 6yr/100k warranty. lexus is 4yr/50k

Lexus does have a 6yr/100K warranty, I have it, platinum with no dedctible. They also have a 7yr/125k. These are extended warranties not the original.

As far as GSF goes. It would be a trade off. I could except some of the dash noise if it had 500+ hp. Where it stands now is, this is the wifes car that I drive once and a while on the weekends and when it needs service. She needs AWD (WI. resident) so until the LS460 AWD drops another 10K I am stuck with it. She loves the car but also thinks the interior material is cheap compared to the LS (I know the LS is 20+ K more). When I look at other cars, the seating material seems much better, but like everything, its a trade off. I love the touch screen and think everyone should go this route. I had a 2011 RX450h for a loaner during the valve spring recall and thought the mouse was worse then texting. Not only do you have to look at the srceen, you have to continue to look at it until you get the pointer lined up on what you want, then keep doing it again to get through the drop down menues, blah blak blah, don't like it.

MB CLS. I have been looking at a sports car for myself, not as a daily driver and I am stuck between the CLS55 AMG and a Z06 corvette, very tuff decision but like the luxury with performance but loose handleing. If I had to make the decision today it would be the CLS. The only thing that scares me about the CLS is the reliability. Not being a daily driver I can let it sit if repairs are to much. I also think of replacing the GS with the CLS for the wife but I always forget it is RWD. Gotta go.
oh you mean extended warranty, sorry about that, i thought you meant factory original warranty. is the warranty directly from lexus? or it's third party like most others? i never looked into it
Old 10-24-10, 10:55 AM
dwiall
Driver

It is from Lexus ($1648), it is the same as buying a certified Lexus. I bought my car from a BMW/Jaguar dealer, hense the good price, which I ended up paying for with the extended warranty. Was planning on turning the car but bank lost my title for 18 months so I could not sell, trade or refinance the car.
Old 10-24-10, 12:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are all these GS with dash rattles have nav?

Just trying to see if there is a correlation. Mine doesn't. Neither of my GS has rattles. If this were a big problem one should.
I did have a door and seat squeak but they are gone.
They didn't bother me when I did have them. Not like what I
m hearing from you guys.
Old 10-24-10, 12:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do have navi and both of my Lexus had navi. Seems like a climate issue to me. The cold weather is when I hear all the rattles and creaks.
Old 10-24-10, 03:32 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

So far I'm very happy with my 2009 GS. Apart from the lousy brakes, I have had no problem at all touch wood.

I paid $600 for an extended warranty. So now I have a total of 5 years 200k kms warranty.
Old 10-25-10, 09:00 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a manual '10 BMW 3 Coupe in addition to my GS, and find the combo perfect depending on the driving circumstances. However, if I was forced to part with one of them it would be the BMW. I love them both, but the GS is the better all around driver.
Interestingly (to me, anyway), I recently got a letter advising I could purchase a new Lexus for what employees pay. It amounted to $500 over invoice, which is exactly what I paid for both my cars in, addition to my wife's '10 350 RX, thanks to my car insurance (USAA) buying program. Anyway, I told our sales person I would be willing to trade my '07 GS for an '11 if they could find me one identical in every respect (color, equipment) to the '07. None was available, although I was assured he would keep looking. I have no doubt he IS looking as I believe business isn't all that great. Bottom line, if the GS remains as beautiful in every respect as my '07, I'll certainly get another.
Old 10-25-10, 09:25 AM
Mike450h
Driver

I would buy my GSh again....not only a great car, but with a few mods a lot of people look at the car and wonder what it is. Its nice not being like everyone else, and having a car that's not a "me to" car.
Attached Thumbnails Would you purchase another GS?-wheels-005.jpg  
Old 10-25-10, 10:38 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

agreed with the above statement. most people think my GS is a sports-sedan or something new with simple touches to it - lowering springs and rims. the body is so smooth and very coupe-like (somewhat liek the CLS series benzes) its a very nice looking car from front to back!
Old 10-25-10, 12:31 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Unlike most here who have had the opportunity to drive BMW, MB, etc.....I came from a pick up truck and a camry, the lexus was one of my "one day to own cars" Now that I have had it for over 2 years, would I do it again......absolutely! I love my GS and would only get rid of it to upgrade to a newer model if warranted as others have stated.
I have now started experience some of the dash rattles, the brakes were horrible (especially after washing the car) squealed like a pig, but changed out the pads and now quiet. All this minor compared to some of the cars I have driven. As I have stated in other threads, I look for every opportunity to drive my car, it is my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Would you purchase another GS?