GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HELP - Headlights On When They Shouldn't Be

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 05:21 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy HELP - Headlights On When They Shouldn't Be

2006 GS300, original lights.

When I opened the door, I heard a brief noise from the steering wheel tilt/ telescope mechanism (had not pushed the start button, yet), and found the car wouldn't start - just the tick-tick-tick. Got a jump start and all was well for a few days.

Got home and found that the lights didn't go out automatically after I left the car (stalk switch was in Auto). Switched to "Off", and lights went out. All seemed OK.

Few days later, I parked in a lot during the day (sunny). Came back about 2 hrs later and the lights were on. this time, all I got was tick-tick-tick, when I tried to start the car. Got a new battery this time and all was fine for over a week.

Another week goes by and, again, the lights are on. I open the door and heard a brief noise from the steering wheel tilt/ telescope mechanism. Turned the lights to OFF (from Auto), lights went out. Put back into Auto, and lights are off.

Any ideas of what's going on?
Old 10-25-10, 05:40 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, the lights shouldn't ever go on when the car hasn't been started.

Only thing I can think of is that you should check to see if somebody has put something on the rear deck that is obstructing the optical sensor. If it's covered or malfunctioning it could be thinking that it's dark even when it's not.
Old 10-26-10, 12:46 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Well, the lights shouldn't ever go on when the car hasn't been started.

Only thing I can think of is that you should check to see if somebody has put something on the rear deck that is obstructing the optical sensor. If it's covered or malfunctioning it could be thinking that it's dark even when it's not.

but his car is turned off.

in auto mode, after engine is off, lights should turn off after a couple minutes max, even if something is blocking the sensor or it's night time.

sounds like simple electronics failure.
Old 10-26-10, 04:52 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paranormal activities 3................ j/k , take to electrician something must be wrong on it.
Old 10-26-10, 04:53 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

sounds like problem has to do with key fob.too.
Old 10-26-10, 05:08 AM
LarryF
Rookie

If one of your doors or the trunk isn't closed properly, the lights will stay on in "automatic" mode even after the engine is turned off. Check them to make sure they're tightly closed.
Old 10-26-10, 06:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I always look at the dash to see if any of the door open lights is on before walking away.

I have one sticky door switch on the driver's door, only it's problem is that it sticks closed instead of open thankfully. I'm not sure what to do about it, if I manually jiggle the rubber boot it always seems to fix itself. I think I'll remove it from the car and see what I can do one of these days.

It's annoying because it causes the LEDs on the door to flicker on and off sometimes when the door is opened (and the internal lighting).
Old 10-26-10, 06:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

this is why i never use the auto lights. too much stuff could go wrong. im assuming maybe the relay that turns the lights off after a minute could be bad
Old 10-26-10, 05:21 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Thanks for all your comments.

That time when I saw the lights were still on after a few minutes, I tried to turn them off by double-clicking the remote, which is supposed to turn the lights off immediately, but it didn't work. That's when I had to go back to the car and turn them off manually.

The weird thing is that it's intermittent...sometimes it runs just fine.

Calling the dealer tomorrow.
Old 10-26-10, 07:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba

The weird thing is that it's intermittent...sometimes it runs just fine.

Calling the dealer tomorrow.
that's the thing with our cars.

problems are intermittent.
and when you bring the damn thing to the dealer, they can't find a problem
Old 11-09-10, 05:49 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Got more data points...

The problem is in the automatic light shutoff. Occasionally, the lights stay on... and on.

When I try to turn them off by double clicking the LOCK button on the remote, I hear the doors lock and the beeps, but the lights stay on, until I open the door and turn the lights off manually.

Any ideas on what this is? how I can fix this myself? Is this a plug in replace part?
Old 11-09-10, 07:41 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Check to make sure that the door sensors are actually detecting that the door is closed. Look at the dashboard for any open door lights.

If any of the doors, or the trunk, is "open" then the lights don't turn off...
Old 11-10-10, 10:17 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

I've been having the exact same problem. I just turn the headlights on/off manually now. The reason is there is a switch in your drivers door that is not fully detecting your initial open or the closing of the door.

Ever notice how you turn car off and open door, but until you close it the ringing noise will go off? Or how the light on the bottum of the door turns off/on at the wrong moment?

Weather's been good latley, I shouldn't remembered to tackle this today... I recall seeing a thread here a few weeks ago talking about this same issue.
Old 11-11-10, 05:28 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

See my thread about this in the DIY section:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5890153

It's really easy to remove the door switch that controls this and clean it/reseat it so that it behaves properly again. I had the same kind of issue where the lights etc. would flicker on and off on the door even though it was open until I removed the sensor, sprayed it with silicone and claned it up, and reattached it firmly.
Old 11-14-10, 04:48 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

BinaryJay, I'll give that a look.

BTW, I tried connecting my OBD2 tool, and all I got was green lights, and the display said "no DTC stored".

Quick Reply: HELP - Headlights On When They Shouldn't Be