GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New member intro

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 08:08 PM
kostya79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member intro

Hey guys,

I got my 08 GS 350 delivered today. Have a few cosmetic issues with it, but overall am very happy with the purchase.

I've been driving a '98 Lincoln Mark VIII (last year production, Collector's Edition) for 7 years, it was my childhood-dream car. With a baby at home, found it quite difficult getting to the baby-seat, so it was time for a sedan. I've always wanted an Audi, and it money was not a concern - I'd get an A8 in a heart-beat, but decided to consider the family budget and so the search was on. I considered a Jag XJ8 briefly, until my mechanic told me to stay as far away from that car as possible. A brief glance over Jag forums confirmed his precaution. Went out and test-drove a Caddy CTS and Mercedes C300 and they just did not feel right - too plasticky. I guess I've been spoiled by the luxury of my Linc. After we were done with the Benz - I noticed an 07 GS sitting on the lot. We decided to give it a try - and so glad we did. This car just felt right for me - just the right mix of comfort, luxury, power, and uniqueness.

Since my GS didn't come with an owner's manual, hoping you guys can answer a few questions -

- Is it possible to set the side-mirrors to fold-in automatically?
- Can you shut-off the engine and not lose your phone conversation over BT?
- The arm-rest seems to get caught-on something sometimes and doesn't want to slide forward. Is this a common/known problem?
- The tray in the elbow-rest is broken-off, should be easy to replace, I hope.
- the small tray to the right of the gear-shift is also broken (the cover can come completely out). Anyone have experience replacing one of these?
- what's the cheapest way to get another key?

Idiots transporting the car put a big scratch on the passanger door and somehow there're two big gauges on the bottom of the front-bumper - as if they loaded it with chains or something. So I have the pleasure of dealing with their claims service first thing monday... :-(

Old 10-29-10, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey welcome to clublexus and congrats on your new car you are going to love the car, and this place!!!

1) nop you can't, button is your only way to do it (factory form)
2) yes you can. do NOT put the car in P. put it in N instead, press the start button. engine will shut off, but acc (electronics) are still on including BT. then you can shift the car to P and everything still on
3) umm, never heard of it before, i guess try to check the rail
4) if you can find the replacement it shouldn't be too hard
5) you will have to replace the whole shift plate assembly, and that's not going to be cheap from dealership. better look at junk yard
6) ebay is always cheapest, but you want to research a bit on programming used key fob, might be tricky, and you also need to make sure on the key, i believe they are more specific now
Old 10-29-10, 11:51 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats and welcome! I've had my 08 GS350 RWD only for a week and I can't tell you happy I am with it. This forum is absolutely great too. Just a wealth of information. Enjoy the ride...I know I will.
Old 10-30-10, 12:53 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Костя !
Where are you from originaly, from Russia ?
Old 10-30-10, 05:53 AM
kostya79
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick responses, Rominl! And thanks for the support, guys!

Another quick questions I thought of last night -

- Is there an easy way to hook-up an iphone? I saw the auxillary jack, but that's not going to charge it or give ipod controls, right?
- Need to dig around and find a list of voice-commands, should be available somewhere, I hope.
- Is eBay my best bet to get an owner's manual? Would be nice if Lexus provided them for free :-)

Ренат, я из Москвы, в штатах уже почти 20 лет...

Thanks!
Old 10-30-10, 06:00 AM
kostya79
Driver School Candidate

... and how exactly do the door-locks operate? If I come up to the car with the key still in my pocket - do I need to press the little black button on the handle? Or just wait?
Old 10-30-10, 07:28 AM
DftMachine
Rookie

With the key fob in your pocket or within the proximity of the sensors, grab the door handle as if you were opening the door and it should unlock.
The little black button is for locking the car. Again, you would need the key fob within range
Old 10-30-10, 07:29 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

press the black button.and it locks. if you go to lexus.com i believe you can get the manual downloaded.
Old 10-30-10, 07:48 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kostya79

- Is there an easy way to hook-up an iphone? I saw the auxillary jack, but that's not going to charge it or give ipod controls, right?
- Need to dig around and find a list of voice-commands, should be available somewhere, I hope.
- Is eBay my best bet to get an owner's manual? Would be nice if Lexus provided them for free :-)

Thanks!
You can get an owners manual for free. Go to owners.Lexus.com

Register your car. Then look under the owners manual section. You should see a link to order an owners manual. It's free.

I ordered a second manual just so I have one in the house and one in the car.
Old 10-30-10, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kostya79

Thanks!
you can get ipod integration like the ones from vaistech, much better sound quality and it will charge your iphone

register on lexus.com and you can get free copy of the manual
Old 10-30-10, 10:10 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there, welcome and congrats on your new car. This is the best site ever with so many that have been helpful to me. You will enjoy this community.
Old 10-31-10, 06:45 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

she's a beauty.. congrats and welcome..