GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Programing key fob help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 07:50 AM
Dempsey220
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programing key fob help

New to the forum, just bought a 2006 gS430, my problem is it only came with one key fob and it's missing the valet key. I was curious if I bought a key fob ifi was able to program it myself

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-21-10, 08:56 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dempsey220
New to the forum, just bought a 2006 gS430, my problem is it only came with one key fob and it's missing the valet key. I was curious if I bought a key fob ifi was able to program it myself

Thanks in advance for any help
No only dealer can program fobs, and to program one you have to re-program all since they are synced.

Also if you buy a key fob online, note that there are several FCC-IDs used on Lexus keys (they are not all the same). So check you buy a key with the same FCCID. The FCC ID is printed on the front of the key fob.

Also there is no such thing as a Valet key. You probably mean the metal key insert for the fob. You can order those from lexus.sewellparts.com at a reasonable price. However note, that this only helps open the door if the battery is completely dead. You can't start the car with it.
Old 11-21-10, 09:24 AM
Dempsey220
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by batman75
No only dealer can program fobs, and to program one you have to re-program all since they are synced.

Also if you buy a key fob online, note that there are several FCC-IDs used on Lexus keys (they are not all the same). So check you buy a key with the same FCCID. The FCC ID is printed on the front of the key fob.

Also there is no such thing as a Valet key. You probably mean the metal key insert for the fob. You can order those from lexus.sewellparts.com at a reasonable price. However note, that this only helps open the door if the battery is completely dead. You can't start the car with it.
So i would have to buy a key fob with the same FCC I'd #? Once I get one then bring both fob to the dealer to be programed? As far as the metal key does the dealer cut that to or can any locksmith cut it for me?

Thanks again
Old 11-21-10, 11:12 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i would have to buy a key fob with the same FCC I'd #? Once I get one then bring both fob to the dealer to be programed? As far as the metal key does the dealer cut that to or can any locksmith cut it for me?

Thanks again
Thats right only the dealer can program them no one else.
Old 11-21-10, 04:31 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Thanks again
A high end locksmith like Home Depot or Loews should be able to cut the key insert. You can buy them on ebay for $10. Or you can buy a pre-cut one shipped directly from Lexus through Sewell Lexus for $54.73.

Regarding the fobs, take all your fobs at once to a dealer. I would call around and offer them 30 minutes of labor for the job ($60). Some dealers charge a full hour ($120).
Old 11-23-10, 10:29 AM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

I did have to buy a new key from Lexus to insure that it worked. I had been told that a used one would work and that they could reprogram. This is incorrect.
Old 11-23-10, 05:11 PM
bigjohnsd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my key cut at a Lexus dealer, but i had the FOB programmed at a Toyota Dealer that was much closer, and much less expensive too.
Old 11-23-10, 09:31 PM
username32
Pole Position

FYI, you can simply just have the remote programmed to use it, you don't have to cut the key. In fact the key can be left out or left blank and uncut.
Old 11-23-10, 09:40 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75

Is this common for all smart keys?
Because it sends a signal to the computer....?
Old 11-23-10, 09:43 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LB23
Yes but, even if the car had a traditional key setup it still wont start if you have a completely dead battery.
Old 11-24-10, 04:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LB23
if your battery is dead, you can still get into the car. my battery was dead about a week ago from sitting for so long but i didnt have a problem opening my doors with the fob.
Old 11-24-10, 04:42 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if your battery is dead, you can still get into the car. my battery was dead about a week ago from sitting for so long but i didnt have a problem opening my doors with the fob.
It all depends how dead. If totally dead then it won't work. In most instances fob will work but not enough power to crank engine.
Old 11-24-10, 05:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My battery was completely dead, no click or anything when i pressed the start button,
Old 11-24-10, 03:37 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
My battery was completely dead, no click or anything when i pressed the start button,
But cant have been as dead as mine. In my case doors wouldn't open either. Had to use the key insert inside the fob.

Then the AAA guy couldn't start the car with the regular booster battery so he had to get a heavy duty truck booster battery.