GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 10:49 AM
GTBaby06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Advice Needed

Hello,
I drive an 07 GS 350 AWD and am looking for the best tires! I just moved to Rochester, NY and I've been told we get months and months of snow. I'd prefer to buy all season tires (instead of snow tires and having to change them). I can't seem to find a consensus on the best tires for my car. Your advice is most appreciated.

I've been told these are a good choice: MICHELIN P225/50R17/XL 98V. Feedback?
Old 11-22-10, 11:29 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTBaby06
Hello,
I drive an 07 GS 350 AWD and am looking for the best tires! I just moved to Rochester, NY and I've been told we get months and months of snow. I'd prefer to buy all season tires (instead of snow tires and having to change them). I can't seem to find a consensus on the best tires for my car. Your advice is most appreciated.

I've been told these are a good choice: MICHELIN P225/50R17/XL 98V. Feedback?
You haven't told us what tire. Michelin is usually folowed by a model name like Exalto or Latitude
Old 11-22-10, 12:34 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just put on a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my 06 GS300. the ride quality is much smoother now and the noise level is night and day compared to the stock Yoko Advans that came with the car.

you can check out tire comparison tests on Tire Rack to get an idea of how tires compare to each other.
Old 11-22-10, 12:45 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you live in NY (same climate as here in Toronto), I would really recommend you reconsider getting winter tires. All season tires are only slightly less useless in the snow than summer tires.

I once read a study that showed that over the life of your vehicle you spend LESS on tires if you have a separate set for both seasons since each set will wear less when used in the correct season than using one set year round. The only extra expense is a second set of winter rims and if you don't care how it looks in the winter, the Toyota black steel rims are inexpensive and do the job. It also gives you the opportunity of downsizing your tires so you get a much meatier tire for going through all of the hidden winter potholes, and a narrower tire for cutting through the slush and snow.

Plus with cheap winter rims you can trash them against snow/ice banks and not care.
Old 11-22-10, 01:25 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^What BJ said! I'm in Pittsburgh and couldn't imagine being on the road in the winter without snow tires. The GS would be a nice sled but a sled just the same.
Old 11-22-10, 03:37 PM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nokian tires are good. I have Hakkapelitta 7 (R17). Very good in snow.
Old 11-22-10, 03:58 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
^^^^What BJ said! I'm in Pittsburgh and couldn't imagine being on the road in the winter without snow tires. The GS would be a nice sled but a sled just the same.
Bah - if you only have summer tires or RWD then yes.

But a GS AWD w/ A/S tires is plenty sufficient for western PA winters. Been doing it for 3 solid winters including last years 48" blast in Feb (currently have 60k+ on the GS too so it's driven regularly ). In fact FWIW, the day I brought home the GS in '07 there was a fresh unplowed 6-7" on the ground the whole way home and had 0 issues...

YMMV
Old 11-22-10, 04:13 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Michellin pilot sport A/S, they did good in snow, I just installed Yokohoma Advin Envigor. Still haven't tried them out but as tire rack states its good in snow. I live in brooklyn NY we don't get as much as snow as you guys up there but I still stick to all season tires.
Old 11-22-10, 04:28 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

AWD helps you get moving, or help you get out of being stuck but it doesn't do much for traction if all of the tires are stiff and sliding on ice. Winter traction is only partially about snow. It's also equal parts of an ice problem and simply a temperature problem.

And, again, since you're only wearing out one set of tires at a time it's not really like it ends up costing you more to have two sets at the end of it all. That's pretty simple logic. I think people are just put off by the up front cost of spending money on more tires, but just think, your all seasons will last twice as long.

BTW, I do have an AWD.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 11-22-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BJ everything above sounds good, but don't forget we need the sensors put in the rims (unless someone likes the annoying yellow light) and programmed which can run as much as tires of rims.
Old 11-23-10, 04:53 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Burg- That has a great deal to do with where you're driving. If you drive 6 miles to work and home then you're probably correct. If you put 30 to 40K per year on the car in areas that are either steep, snowy or icy then perhaps you're not. I know this much for sure, you will not get in or out of my driveway without snow tires or AWD/4WD. I have four vehicles and they're all either 4WD or AWD for a reason. What's more, they all have snow tires every winter for the same reason. I also drive into the snow belt (Crawford, Venango and Erie counties) several times each month. If you have to drive into or out of that environment, you could be in for more than a little difficulty without snow tires. Kind of like being in Rochester......
Old 11-23-10, 05:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
BJ everything above sounds good, but don't forget we need the sensors put in the rims (unless someone likes the annoying yellow light) and programmed which can run as much as tires of rims.
you can get all 4 sensors for 150 or less shipped to your door and if your good your dealer will not charge you I think Im on my 4th or 5th set now as I leave them in my rims when I sell and every time I stop in the take care of me So to me the $$ is worth not having the light and saving me from buying a new tire.

wonder if AWD helps the car stop It helps you get going and nothing more. At some point you do need to stop and the a/s tires won't compare to the snow tires. We all know our driving conditions best so you need to decide what works best for your area. I think the GS is the worst RWD car I have ever had in the snow even with snow tires.
Old 12-07-10, 11:51 AM
GTBaby06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Does anyone know about Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires or Firestone Winterforce tires? Also-- are there other storage options besides a garage/basement? I live in an apartment complex without either. Although- I might just scrap my tires all together too!

Rochester weather is horrible right now and I'm getting pretty desperate to get snow tires ASAP!
Old 12-07-10, 02:17 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GTBaby06
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Does anyone know about Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires or Firestone Winterforce tires? Also-- are there other storage options besides a garage/basement? I live in an apartment complex without either. Although- I might just scrap my tires all together too!

Rochester weather is horrible right now and I'm getting pretty desperate to get snow tires ASAP!
I have Xi2 on my car, but they are new as of this year and we haven't exactly had tough conditions to really test them out with. I can say that they are very quiet and ride very well in the dry and wet for winter tires, but that's it at this point. They are highly regarded tires, though and the bonus is that they promise to wear much better than say, Blizzaks, do.

As for storage, if you don't have friends or family nearby with space for your wheels most places have a storage service that you have to pay by season for. Just ask.
Old 12-07-10, 02:27 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

GT, I've had X-ice's on my car and in fact i've had them on my Subaru as well. They're a good tire and I wouldn't be afraid to buy them again. As far as storage goes, I would ask the local Lexus dealer if they'll store your tires for you. Mine does for me but i also bought the car there so it may make a difference. Can't hurt to ask though :0)