GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which to Choose?
2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
51.32%
2006-08 Lexus GS430/460
43.42%
Find something else..(Post your Opinion below)
5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Help me Choose.. 3GS or E55

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 04:45 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
You know, I partially agree with you on this. For me, it's not that the Lexus is that expensive to maintain per se, but I think that the dealerships are just getting really greedy. Parts are not so expensive, but I have gotten some outrageous quotes on service from my dealership (Lexus of Tampa Bay). That service dept is the only negative thing I can say about my GS experience. They are really out of control. Nice people, but their prices are just to dang high.
If you shop online like Sewell the Lexus parts price isnt that bad, you should see how much Nissan parts cost! lol Nissan oil filters list for like $4 more then Lexus/Toyota filters and they are made in china!
Old 11-24-10, 04:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Parts are not so expensive.

headlights- $1000 per side
side mirrors- ~$1000 per side
windshield- $holyshi...
rearview mirror- $damn
lexus service- $gimmeabreak.
Old 11-24-10, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

parts for lexus are getting VERY expensive. just look up prices for different panels, and especially if you look at any electronics, they are no joke anymore

we have sewell here giving us good prices, but if you lurk around bmw and mb boards, you will see other similar sides where you get their parts at discounted price.

mb services are in general bad. bmw, they get more mixed reviews, my dealership is great, but i have heard bad stories. from my experience, lexus still have above average service, but i start to hear more and more bad experiences too.

i think jre002 put it well, they do get a lot more greedy these days
Old 11-24-10, 07:56 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
Those damn Taco's hold their value, i been seeing old 01-02's for like 6k with 240k miles lol.
Absolutely true.
They hold their value way too much!!
Old 11-24-10, 08:04 PM
LB23
Driver

Well, having a good and honest independent shop, shopping online with discounts and having the service repair manual of the car is my strategy to minimize costs as much as possible without downgrading the quality of the car.

I really don`t like STEALERSHIPS!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-10, 08:24 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

I own a Benz (E class) and a GS 350. I hate Mercedes Benz dealerships...I don't know if they are just stupid or trying to rip you off, but I've had bad experiences with the one I dealt with in VA and then again with one in Houston.

I'm on my 2nd Benz and 2nd Lexus. The difference in quality and reliability is night and day. I'm never buying a Benz again - besides the incredible expense of maintaining one, I have very little faith in the dealerships and the company as a whole.

It's Lexus all the way for me, no brainer!
Old 11-24-10, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's what I was gonna say.

the 3GS will probably be as unreliable as the merc, and lexus parts aren't cheap.

I've just passed the 25k mile mark on mine, and the thing has become a rattle box. I don't know how much more i can tolerate. It seems for most people, the 3GS just falls apart after 25000 miles.
The 3GS doesn't seem very rigid either. If i go over a speedbump diagonally, the A pillar makes a cracking sound.

I haven't even gotten to the side mirror problems other people have had, but that is because I don't adjust my side mirrors. And everyone knows those cost 2 ********* to replace.

so in the end, I'd say you'll have equal amount of headache with either car.

so for me, it would come down to....
3gs is better looking. But the AMG will stick a shoe way up its ***.
Anecdotal evidence.

Your post argues with every major expert knows, says and have proven. Maybe just sell your GS and get something else and cut your losses.
Old 11-24-10, 11:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Anecdotal evidence. .
......... is still evidence based on true bichenmoaning and actual repairs done at the shop.

and 'experts' rely on the huge collection of anecdotes from car owners to base their opinions.

the 3GS is no shining star, but I'd like to believe it is more reliable than the E60 or W211. So far, the car has been in the shop only for annoyances and recalls. No electrical failures yet. but who knows.
Has a W211 AMG ever broken down to the point of being undrivable?

These days, all the bichenmoaning by all car owners has nothing to do with a car's ability to drive down the street. it's all petty complaining.

not gonna cut my losses, as i don't have any. Plus, i'm still too chickenshiet to buy german or american.

Last edited by dunnojack; 11-24-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 09:45 AM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

That's not how statistics works.

I think there are plenty of reasons the Benz and 5 are ahead of the current, aging GS, but reliability isn't one of them. Your experience is probably relatively unusual, man. Though I emphasize with the rattle box thing. This is my biggest annoyance with the car.

The 535i I test drove was noisier and had rattles too, but that doesn't excuse it in the GS. In the 5, you have other advantages to overshadow the rattles. In the GS, you're buying partly for an expectation of quiet. I haven't tried replacing the run-flats with softer tires, though.
Old 11-25-10, 01:47 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Is this a trick question? E55 all the way. As long as it's warranted AMG is the way to go.
Exactly. I love Lexus but I'd never take a GS over an E55 AMG. If the GS-F were around, I'd probably opt for IT over the new E-Class Mercedes...
Old 11-25-10, 01:54 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pavlov
That's not how statistics works.

I think there are plenty of reasons the Benz and 5 are ahead of the current, aging GS, but reliability isn't one of them. Your experience is probably relatively unusual, man. Though I emphasize with the rattle box thing. This is my biggest annoyance with the car.

The 535i I test drove was noisier and had rattles too, but that doesn't excuse it in the GS. In the 5, you have other advantages to overshadow the rattles. In the GS, you're buying partly for an expectation of quiet. I haven't tried replacing the run-flats with softer tires, though.
I've had a few Lexus' and a few BMW's - neither ever had any rattles. Rattles aren't common for either company's automobiles. We're not taking about old Fords and GMs here.
Old 11-25-10, 03:50 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Let me end this debate: Mercedes service sucks. They're out there to get you. No joke. My parents had an ML350 and an E320, they got fed up by the Benz dealership that miraculously could never figure out what was wrong under warranty, that they traded both for an LS430 UL.

Solid build goes to Mercedes.
Relability, I'd say both.
Build finish and quality, Mercedes
Parts costs and labor, Lexus
Happy feeling when driving, Mercedes.

Then finally, depending on whether or not you will keep the car past 75k miles, I'd rather cruise the Lexus than the Benz.
Old 11-25-10, 03:56 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Let me end this debate: Mercedes service sucks. They're out there to get you. No joke. My parents had an ML350 and an E320, they got fed up by the Benz dealership that miraculously could never figure out what was wrong under warranty, that they traded both for an LS430 UL.

Solid build goes to Mercedes.
Relability, I'd say both.
Build finish and quality, Mercedes
Parts costs and labor, Lexus
Happy feeling when driving, Mercedes.

Then finally, depending on whether or not you will keep the car past 75k miles, I'd rather cruise the Lexus than the Benz.
I agree entirely with driving a Lexus past 75k miles.. But for most people who can afford a Mercedes, subpar service is unacceptable. If Mercedes service was generally bad, they wouldn't sell so many automobiles. Some dealerships just suck...
Old 11-25-10, 04:03 PM
Skggyy
Rookie

I own both of them right now. Trust me. go E55. incredible car.
Old 11-25-10, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I've had a few Lexus' and a few BMW's - neither ever had any rattles. Rattles aren't common for either company's automobiles. We're not taking about old Fords and GMs here.
either you can't listen carefully or your cars happen to be super solid special built

98 gs400 - rattle and squeak
03 is300 - solid
05 sc430 - squeak
07 ls460l - rattle
08 gs350 - rattle and squeak
08 m3 - rattle and squeak

numerous rx330, rx350, rx400h, es350 loaners, almost all rattle and squeak. i think with how complex cars get, especially in the luxury segment, this is just how it's gonna be. not saying i accept it, but it's how it is

Quick Reply: Help me Choose.. 3GS or E55