GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Out of the blue a $500 debit card

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 11:03 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a Visa debit card. Like others said, the letter indicates that you can only use it at Lexus dealerships. It certainly is possible to restrict a Visa debit card to particular merchants. It's done all the time!

I'm hoping, however, that it can be used at Toyota dealers. I'm going to try next time I'm having my oil change at the local Toyota dealer. I have not stepped foot at a Lexus dealer for scheduled service since I bought my car four years ago. These a-holes want $100 for an oil change with tire rotation -- more than three times as much as Toyota dealers charge! A bunch of crooks!

Worst case scenario -- if it's not accepted at Toyota dealerships -- I'll use it to pay for a major service at a Lexus dealership. My car is not due for a major service over the next year before the card expires, but I'll just do it earlier, and adjust the schedule correspondingly.
Old 12-12-10, 02:36 PM
blancoj
Driver School Candidate

Jherb350, have you tried to purchase something else ? I tried to buy a 300 gift card and got denied. I confirmed through the website that I have a balance of 500
Old 12-12-10, 03:50 PM
rmalouin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by batman75
I've been waiting for this card for a while.

Is it a Visa/MC Prepaid you can use anywhere, or is it only valid at Lexus dealers?

Also when did you do your valve spring recall?
Don't go online to register this card, do it over the phone no need for SSN over the phone... I had the valve work done about 6 weeks ago.
Old 12-12-10, 06:06 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
It's a Visa debit card. Like others said, the letter indicates that you can only use it at Lexus dealerships. It certainly is possible to restrict a Visa debit card to particular merchants. It's done all the time!
i thought this would like rewards card from lexus credit card that use it anywhere.
Old 12-12-10, 09:09 PM
LexFather

So everyone in the recall gets this debit card or just those with the extended warranty? I only got my recall letter maybe 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-12-10, 10:09 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So everyone in the recall gets this debit card or just those with the extended warranty? I only got my recall letter maybe 2 weeks ago.
Its either extended warranty or a gift card. Call lexus corp and let them know that you are waiting for one.
Old 12-12-10, 10:58 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You get the card, don't need any extended warranty plan. I don't have it but got the letter about the work and to expect the g-card.
Old 12-13-10, 04:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

lol @ people trying to use it at other places besides lexus.
Old 12-13-10, 07:26 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blancoj
Jherb350, have you tried to purchase something else ? I tried to buy a 300 gift card and got denied. I confirmed through the website that I have a balance of 500
I have not tried to use my card yet.

I'm wondering if a new BIN range was setup buy VISA for PNC bank to issues these cards on behalf of Lexus and the updated BIN range just hasn't been put into place by the credit card processors or updated at the merchant level.

Per VISA's regulations, I can use a VISA branded card anywere VISA is accepted.

If Lexus wanted to restrict the use of the card to only Lexus Dealers then they should have used a Third Party Gift Card provider and Branded the card as a Lexus Gift Card. Then the Dealers would need to be able to accept those cards.
Old 12-13-10, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i thought the car is only for people with extended warranty. otherwise you get the extended warranty? either way, i rather have the 500 bucks than extended warranty anywy
Old 12-13-10, 10:55 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked to Lexus headquarter and its Merritt's Department (USA Lexus Information Center) about the $500 gift card. Lexus says it’s only for the owners who had purchased the extended warranty for his/her recalled vehicles.

I had my valve spring recall done in early August and just purchased the Lexus platinum extended warranty early December before my 4 years factory warranty expires. I was not given the $500 gift card but instead Lexus gave me 6years/100,000 miles powertrain warranty dated 10-18-2010 on the letter. The original powertrain warranty is 6 year/70,000 miles so Lexus gives away additional “0” years and 30,000 miles on powertrain which is useless piece of crap to me of my current status at 4year/15,000miles.

What Lexus really made me angry is they want me to submit a proof of the Lexus Platinum extended warranty once I receive the warranty package before they can process the $500 gift card. I don’t think it’s my responsibility to provide it to USA Lexus Information Center since the Lexus headquarter already have my warranty info in the system. Lexus has failed from the very top end for its customer service. Even I later submit the warranty info to Lexus, I have no confidence that Lexus will make this $500 gift card to me smoothly without other dramas.

I purchased the Lexus Platinum extended warranty form Midwest Superstore (Midwest Toyota) in Kansas.
Old 12-13-10, 11:20 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What about the $1500 certificate on purchasing a new Lexus?

I completed my recall about 6 weeks ago, and haven't gotten a single thing. No useless warranty, no gift card, and no credit certificate.
Old 12-13-10, 01:09 PM
mrblack
Rookie

Hmm.. I just bought my car in October ('07 AWD with 24k) and when I looked at the service history the valve spring work was done while the car was in the dealer's possession going through the CPO process. It was a corporate leased car prior to my purchase. I also bought the Lexus extended 6yr/100k mile warranty when I bought the car. Wonder if a gift card will come my way? Would be cool but not holding my breath.
Old 12-13-10, 01:39 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Is there an expiration on those Visa/Lexus gift cards? I doubt i will be using my $1500 voucher towards a new car. i like my GS and cant afford an LS!
Old 12-13-10, 02:15 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by memasterac
I just talked to Lexus headquarter and its Merritt's Department (USA Lexus Information Center) about the $500 gift card. Lexus says it’s only for the owners who had purchased the extended warranty for his/her recalled vehicles.

I had my valve spring recall done in early August and just purchased the Lexus platinum extended warranty early December before my 4 years factory warranty expires. I was not given the $500 gift card but instead Lexus gave me 6years/100,000 miles powertrain warranty dated 10-18-2010 on the letter. The original powertrain warranty is 6 year/70,000 miles so Lexus gives away additional “0” years and 30,000 miles on powertrain which is useless piece of crap to me of my current status at 4year/15,000miles.

What Lexus really made me angry is they want me to submit a proof of the Lexus Platinum extended warranty once I receive the warranty package before they can process the $500 gift card. I don’t think it’s my responsibility to provide it to USA Lexus Information Center since the Lexus headquarter already have my warranty info in the system. Lexus has failed from the very top end for its customer service. Even I later submit the warranty info to Lexus, I have no confidence that Lexus will make this $500 gift card to me smoothly without other dramas.

I purchased the Lexus Platinum extended warranty form Midwest Superstore (Midwest Toyota) in Kansas.
You need to call them back and talk to them again (nicely). I was in exactly the same boat, and they were able to look up both of the policies by their unique numbers (the one I bought from Midwest Toyota and the complimentary one sent after the recall). My warranty is also for 6 years / 75K miles, and I explained to the representative that I do not need the extra 30K miles because my four year old car only has 35K miles on it right now. I also said, and this is key that other people on clublexus in similar circumstances have reported receiving the $500 card. The representative went away for 5 minutes, and then reported back that they would be happy to accommodate my request (cancel the free policy and send me the card). No paperwork required. I received the card a couple of weeks later.

Quick Reply: Out of the blue a $500 debit card