GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body kit for 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 12:49 PM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, Vorsteiner's CSL replica bumpers have ****ty fitment and they charge an arm and a leg. They charge that much because they can. OEM CSL parts aren't and can't be bought in USA. If OEM CSL part were available in USA I bet that V will sell them much cheaper.

*seibon's CSL bumper and other replicas also use CF and fitment has been reported to be better than Vorsteiners. Vorsteiner was the first to position itself in the market as quality CSL replica and that's why they fetch a premium. When you are the only player in town you can charge whatever you want. Now, Seibon and other's came out with same bumper + bootlid using same material at fraction of the cost. not to mention it fits better.

I would never put on a fake panerai watch but when it comes to cars I couldn't care less what brand of body kit I slap on as long as it fits decent and doesn't scream Wings West.(btw I'm not too into body kits and external aesthetic mods) A real panerai will hold its value, but a JP body kit from Japan won't. How will you feel when you f up that beautiful authentic body kit that cost you $4000 installed + 3 months of overseas container wait?
Old 12-15-10, 01:05 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum-VIP
being a body shop, I can absolutely say we HATE Extreme Dimension kits.
We do not support Knock-Offs, but we cater to all our customers.

But, Why buy a cheap knock-off kit and spend 1000-2500 in prep?
LOL, i know right? I have friends at body shops and they say customers come in with cheap ebay/VIS replicas and man they have to cut it, extend it, sand it, all kinds of labor just to put on a $500 body kit but like 10 hours of labor just so it can be bolted onto the car. Its totally not worth the hassle.
Old 12-15-10, 01:07 PM
skim07
Driver

just curious, are those extreme dimension kits that bad to install? Only time I ever had a body kit on my car was 9 years ago on a TL-S and that was oem so the quality was superb. I'd hate to spend money on this car but front end of GS is...quite boring.
Old 12-15-10, 01:10 PM
Platinum-VIP
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by skim07
just curious, are those extreme dimension kits that bad to install? Only time I ever had a body kit on my car was 9 years ago on a TL-S and that was oem so the quality was superb. I'd hate to spend money on this car but front end of GS is...quite boring.
have you looked at the Job Design Kits?
Let us know if you are interested, we are an authorized US distributor.

Last edited by Platinum-VIP; 12-15-10 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 03:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I would never put on a fake panerai watch but when it comes to cars I couldn't care less what brand of body kit I slap on...
there you go your preference, which i have no problem with (although i don't support it).

i can't say for all, but i have seen a few ED kits on cars. they are pathetic (and this is a nice word already). yes, one can argue it's probably problem on the prep and install by the body shop, but i think they are far worse than original. keep in mind though, i am not saying all authentic kits fit like a glove. you might still have to spend effort to do it well. but in general, it's way better than knock offs. as username32 said, the mold that knock off companies use, they don't care the quality and sometimes they are way out of shape already.

oem kits on tl-s were top notch. they weren't even frp, they were abs plastic to begin with.
Old 12-15-10, 07:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if fitment were perfect, I'd buy a knock off.

but i've never heard of a knock off with perfect fitment.
Old 12-15-10, 07:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would never put on a fake panerai watch but when it comes to cars I couldn't care less what brand of body kit I slap on as long as it fits decent and doesn't scream Wings West.(btw I'm not too into body kits and external aesthetic mods) A real panerai will hold its value, but a JP body kit from Japan won't. How will you feel when you f up that beautiful authentic body kit that cost you $4000 installed + 3 months of overseas container wait?
same difference if you wear your original panerai watch and you accidentally damaged it or you got robbed at gun point by some thug on the street. s h * t happens.

so does that mean you don't wear your panerai watch for fear of damage or theft? of course not. you wear it to enjoy it, despite the minor chances of mishap.

same thing with a $4K oem jdm kit. and if you do damage your jdm kit through no fault of your own, your car insurance will cover it (mine does). and if regular insurance doesn't cover it, i'm fairly sure you could get supplemental insurance for mods. as the saying goes, you have to pay to play.

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
You should be able to get a decent one for under 3 k unpainted. I understand the knock offs have fitment issues
when i installed my authentic prussian blue kit, the installer mentioned that the fitment was excellent and he had no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by Stormforge; 12-15-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 08:00 PM
Platinum-VIP
Former Sponsor

I retracted my last post, it seemed kind of harsh.

Not all kits are going to be 100% OEM fitment. It takes a good body shop to pre-fit and correct body kit blemishes.

That's why we're here, we take the extra step to make sure the kit fits well.
Old 12-15-10, 10:54 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

I'm not concerned with the price of the kit as much as the quality of it. You can get high quality stuff for a low price sometimes, or you can pay a fortune for garbage. I'm the kind of person that tends to notice details. My wife begged me for a Coach purse so I bought her a real one and I can definitely tell the difference between hers and all the knockoffs I see people with when we go out. If I can get a good quality kit for cheap I'd prefer that, but it seems like you get what you pay for most of the time.
I'll keep researching.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 12-15-10, 11:16 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
My kit was a lil over 2k, authentic Prussian Blue. Now I just need the grille.

Where did you get an authentic Prussian blue for that price?

Can you give me the number? The PB looks sick. Have you seen the "inspiration car" I'm using for my project? It's this guy name Eric from FL's silver GS on Vossen's with a PB and coilovers....pretty sick.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-10, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

that was like 2 yrs ago, no more. with the exchange rate hike and also the ever increasing shipping cost, all jdm kits are a lot more expensive now
Old 12-15-10, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Where did you get an authentic Prussian blue for that price?

Can you give me the number? The PB looks sick. Have you seen the "inspiration car" I'm using for my project? It's this guy name Eric from FL's silver GS on Vossen's with a PB and coilovers....pretty sick.

Thanks.
hahha, ek9vboi is eric!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-10, 12:02 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
My kit was a lil over 2k, authentic Prussian Blue. Now I just need the grille.
Eric,

Just so you know, I think your GS is the nicest one I have seen to date.

I have the Vossen VVS-CV2's (20 x 10.5 (r) 20 x 9(f)) w/ the 38 and 45 offsets and some 275/30/20 (r) 245/35/20's all sitting on my living room floor right now.

What did you do to make your car's stance look how it does? What size spacers did you use? Did you require fender mods? Do you have coilovers? If so, what kind?

Regarding the PB body kit, it looks amazing in silver. I'm not a fan of the blue/black car on the site with the PB kit.

BTW, I found a site called www.bulletproofautomotive.com and they have all the nice body kits you could want for a GS. I'll probably go with them and I'll try to steer away from buying the PB kit since yours already has it and I'm not trying to literally clone your entire car, just the stance it has.

Please help me achieve the stance an I'll probably go with a Ricercato, Balsarini, or Rando kit to keep mine looking somewhat unique compared to yours.
Old 12-16-10, 12:10 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

The more I look at the INGS + 1 body kit the more I like it.
Old 12-16-10, 07:24 AM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
same difference if you wear your original panerai watch and you accidentally damaged it or you got robbed at gun point by some thug on the street. s h * t happens.

so does that mean you don't wear your panerai watch for fear of damage or theft? of course not. you wear it to enjoy it, despite the minor chances of mishap.

same thing with a $4K oem jdm kit. and if you do damage your jdm kit through no fault of your own, your car insurance will cover it (mine does). and if regular insurance doesn't cover it, i'm fairly sure you could get supplemental insurance for mods. as the saying goes, you have to pay to play.

when i installed my authentic prussian blue kit, the installer mentioned that the fitment was excellent and he had no problems whatsoever.
agreed on some points. high end watches should be insured...I hope you do if you own them. lol
If you can afford to spend $5000 body kit on a GS, go for it and enjoy it in good health. Everybody has different priorities and preceived values. I for one, can't spend that much on a GS and sleep comfortably at night.

I spent quite a bit on stoptech on previous cars and laughed at Rotora BBK. I can understand where most of you are coming from. Do it right the first time. couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: Body kit for 3GS