GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body kit for 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 04:55 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body kit for 3GS

I recently ordered an Extreme Dimensions J-Spec Body Kit and ended up cancelling my order because I was informed that the kit I was ordering was a knock off.

Does anyone have any experience with Extreme Dimensions?

What are the benefits of spending $3000-$5000 on a body kit vs. $600-$1000?

What is the difference in quality? Materials? Workmanship? Durability? Etc.

Is it worth it to spend $5000 vs $700 on a "genuine" body kit that I'll have to end up spending even more money for paint, prep and install?
Old 12-15-10, 06:11 AM
skim07
Driver

question is, is anyone going to notice the difference between a $5000 vs $700 kit on the road? if yes, will that make you sleep better at night knowing you have an authentic body kit that people recognize on the road? imho, no body kit is worth that much.
Old 12-15-10, 06:36 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get a decent one for under 3 k unpainted. I understand the knock offs have fitment issues
Old 12-15-10, 06:45 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

My kit was a lil over 2k, authentic Prussian Blue. Now I just need the grille.
Old 12-15-10, 06:49 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
My kit was a lil over 2k, authentic Prussian Blue. Now I just need the grille.
This and the wald are the only kits that I would even consider
Old 12-15-10, 07:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

the reason kits cost so much is because the ones that are over 3k are typically full replacements of the bumpers. on top of that the quality and fitment is much better than a knock off kit from a company that just pumps out 100s of them.
Old 12-15-10, 08:01 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The reason they cost so much is because people will pay it. That's all. The margins on those things have to be through the roof.

Why pay so much for something that you're almost guaranteed to spank a curb or the road with sooner than later?
Old 12-15-10, 08:07 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

3 things

fitment

quality

will u sleep better knowing its authentic?
Old 12-15-10, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and read my signature / avatar.

it's nothing different from asking what's the different with real LV bag vs fake ones. they probably will just last as long and hardly anyone notice unless they get real close. but can you get over that yourself, ask your moral

and ask yourself what if everyone goes with knock offs, who will then spend all the effort on designs and such to make the original?
Old 12-15-10, 09:45 AM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Well said
Old 12-15-10, 10:25 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually my wife can tell the differenece between an authentic vs. fake LV bag, per se, as well many other pricey bags.

A knock-off body kit on a Lexus just sound so wrong.
Old 12-15-10, 10:25 AM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
The reason they cost so much is because people will pay it. That's all. The margins on those things have to be through the roof.

Why pay so much for something that you're almost guaranteed to spank a curb or the road with sooner than later?
Not necessarily, you cant think about just the material costs. Think about the fact someone has to come up with a original design, make a actual concept mold of it, and then produce them one by one by hand, the cost of shipping them here from Japan and the packaging. On fiberglass and FRP kits, the molds are only good for maybe 25-100 copies before they have to make a new one mold (depends on how elaborate the mold is), they aren't made like the steel molds plastic bumpers are made from (which cost $10K to make just the mold by the way for urethane). And lets not forget they aren't mass produced, if they were made in a large scale factories like the Chinese knock off makers the cost can be dropped considerably down but lets face it, you'd have to sell a helluva number of kits to get to that level. Its much cheaper and easier to copy someone elses stuff then to come up with your own, hence why companies like VIS, Extreme Dimensions, Seibon, etc can make them so cheap and make original companies look bad and like a ripoff.
Old 12-15-10, 11:24 AM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by username32
Not necessarily, you cant think about just the material costs. Think about the fact someone has to come up with a original design, make a actual concept mold of it, and then produce them one by one by hand, the cost of shipping them here from Japan and the packaging. On fiberglass and FRP kits, the molds are only good for maybe 25-100 copies before they have to make a new one mold (depends on how elaborate the mold is), they aren't made like the steel molds plastic bumpers are made from (which cost $10K to make just the mold by the way for urethane). And lets not forget they aren't mass produced, if they were made in a large scale factories like the Chinese knock off makers the cost can be dropped considerably down but lets face it, you'd have to sell a helluva number of kits to get to that level. Its much cheaper and easier to copy someone elses stuff then to come up with your own, hence why companies like VIS, Extreme Dimensions, Seibon, etc can make them so cheap and make original companies look bad and like a ripoff.

if that's the case, tell me why these replicas are so expensive. VCSL bumper from Seibon can be had for fraction of what V is charging yet they are both replica companies.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...rs/V-CSL/13122
Old 12-15-10, 11:47 AM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skim07
if that's the case, tell me why these replicas are so expensive. VCSL bumper from Seibon can be had for fraction of what V is charging yet they are both replica companies.

I cant answer why replicas that cost that much, i don't know, but quality definitely cost more to make then crap body kits. Im not in the aero parts manufacturing business but i do sell authentic aero parts at work and fully understand the processes and why things cost the way they do.
Old 12-15-10, 11:51 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skim07

if its a replica and they are using real cf material, thats probably why the price is so high.

Quick Reply: Body kit for 3GS