GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone converted Non-Navi to OEM Navi successfully?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 04:13 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by truongsta8
I really want to do this conversion because i want to be able to play dvds in the car without having to fabricate a custom dash and requiring to relocate the oem screen to the glovebox for climate controls.

i know the ipod connectivity was an option but to play dvd i would require a separate dvd player somewhere else in the car. My big thing was the 6 DVD changer that came with the ML stereo was what really got me into all this.

I will keep u guys posted on this "little" project of mine..

can you please get the a link for this mod? thanks ahead!
you could have bought a vaistech unit that plays video, then all you would have needed was a ipod or iphone to load your videos on.
Old 12-17-10, 05:41 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's aloot of work for those that have large DVD collections
Old 12-17-10, 06:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea but a cheap 160gb ipod is cheaper than a whole navi unit but in the end the navi unit will help the selling price of the car. $1500 is a steal for everything he got though so im interested to see how it turns out.
Old 12-17-10, 08:45 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a non-nav to nav conversion on my friends 2005 Acura TL. It isn't too difficult if you know how a GPS works. It needs the VSS signal and the GPS sat signal. You have all the extra harness wires you need so you look like you are in good shape. I know from experience that putting a 2008 unit into a 2006 car might have some issues with what wires are what. Only advice I could give you is get a wire schematic on the GPS units for both the 2006 and the 2008 to see if they changed any of the pin locations for the existing harnesses in the car. From the picture in the add, it looks like they just cut the gps antenna wire out of the car since thats located in the rear. That can be fixed but make sure its shielded well so you don't get interference from the other harnesses in the car. The beauty of this system is that the brain for the gps is located close in the glove box. Most cars, the brain is in the trunk and that calls for a lot of wiring to the trunk. This shouldn't be to difficult.

Our GPS systems are fantastic. I thought it was a weak unit until I updated the dvd map. To anyone who thinks our system isn't good......do yourself a favor and buy a new dvd map. Night and day difference. It even gets rid of that annoying OK Agree button. That's worth the price for that feature alone.

Good luck OP! This isn't as hard as most people think it is.
Old 12-17-10, 09:58 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmade22
i did a non-nav to nav conversion on my friends 2005 acura tl. It isn't too difficult if you know how a gps works. It needs the vss signal and the gps sat signal. You have all the extra harness wires you need so you look like you are in good shape. I know from experience that putting a 2008 unit into a 2006 car might have some issues with what wires are what. Only advice i could give you is get a wire schematic on the gps units for both the 2006 and the 2008 to see if they changed any of the pin locations for the existing harnesses in the car. From the picture in the add, it looks like they just cut the gps antenna wire out of the car since thats located in the rear. That can be fixed but make sure its shielded well so you don't get interference from the other harnesses in the car. The beauty of this system is that the brain for the gps is located close in the glove box. Most cars, the brain is in the trunk and that calls for a lot of wiring to the trunk. This shouldn't be to difficult.

Our gps systems are fantastic. I thought it was a weak unit until i updated the dvd map. To anyone who thinks our system isn't good......do yourself a favor and buy a new dvd map. Night and day difference. It even gets rid of that annoying ok agree button. That's worth the price for that feature alone.

Good luck op! This isn't as hard as most people think it is.
+1 what he said!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-10, 10:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

I have the wiring diagram for the navi however i cant upload it to CL because the file is too big any ideas?
Old 12-17-10, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

can we say garmin or tom tom??lol
Old 12-17-10, 05:38 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmade22
I did a non-nav to nav conversion on my friends 2005 Acura TL. It isn't too difficult if you know how a GPS works. It needs the VSS signal and the GPS sat signal. You have all the extra harness wires you need so you look like you are in good shape. I know from experience that putting a 2008 unit into a 2006 car might have some issues with what wires are what. Only advice I could give you is get a wire schematic on the GPS units for both the 2006 and the 2008 to see if they changed any of the pin locations for the existing harnesses in the car. From the picture in the add, it looks like they just cut the gps antenna wire out of the car since thats located in the rear. That can be fixed but make sure its shielded well so you don't get interference from the other harnesses in the car. The beauty of this system is that the brain for the gps is located close in the glove box. Most cars, the brain is in the trunk and that calls for a lot of wiring to the trunk. This shouldn't be to difficult.

Our GPS systems are fantastic. I thought it was a weak unit until I updated the dvd map. To anyone who thinks our system isn't good......do yourself a favor and buy a new dvd map. Night and day difference. It even gets rid of that annoying OK Agree button. That's worth the price for that feature alone.

Good luck OP! This isn't as hard as most people think it is.
Thanks for the motivation bro, i'm hoping everything goes well with this...

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
I have the wiring diagram for the navi however i cant upload it to CL because the file is too big any ideas?
can you please email it to me? that would be awesome!
truongsta856@gmail.com

Thanks!
Old 12-26-10, 05:53 AM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so i got the stuff in the mail and as i was going thru it, i was trying to figure out what this piece is and where would it go in the car? It has like 4 switches on it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails Anyone converted Non-Navi to OEM Navi successfully?-100_5416.jpg  
Old 12-26-10, 07:26 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be your side switches to the right of the navigation screen. The top switch is your map/view button to activate the navigation screen. The GS's that don't have the screen are missing the top button. I am not 100% sure on this but that would make sense to me. I really never looked into this setup yet. Are the switches mounted to the right of the nav screen or are they missing?

Last edited by mmade22; 12-26-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's what i think
Old 12-29-10, 05:05 PM
kg1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard

I mistakenly damaged my dash taking apart my NAV system in my 06GS. Hopefully you don't have any similar issues, but if you do here's a website that customizes dashboards as well as other things for very cheap.

http://www.carid.com/lexus-accessori...FSVe7AodcV1_mA

Goodluck!
Old 12-29-10, 05:25 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I had the guy that installed my NAVTOOL break my air vent above the unit. It cost him $250 from the dealer
Old 03-01-11, 09:06 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

was there an update to this? I've been seeing a lot of stock gs navi units on ebay lately
Old 03-02-11, 04:54 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would wait a few years for the 2010 (2009?) units that are HDD based to start trickling out of the yards. Why? Because I think the whole glovebox wiring/retrofit thing disappears with the HDD. It appears the HDD is kept in a nook inside the same space as the head unit on those years. I'm not so sure about where the GPS antenna is kept but you should be able to put any standard antenna anywhere as long as it's connected to the head unit.

Other than steering wheel controls, unless the main wiring harness is different, it would then hopefully be as easy as pulling out and just replacing the whole head unit with the 2010 navi one. The models requiring the glove box hacking, IMO, are too much of a bother.

Not sure how maps are updated on the HDD based system though, but I assume it's via a USB connection somewhere which would still be much easier to relocate possibly just into the center console.

Quick Reply: Anyone converted Non-Navi to OEM Navi successfully?