GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Runflat tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 04:46 PM
iGS430
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Runflat tires

Okay guys i need your input, been hearing a terrible tire nose with no vibration when driving above 20 mph. Tire shop diagnosed my OE Tires 245/40-18 to have a PLY SEPARATION.

I've been reading a whole lot of negative reviews on pricey Run flat tire quality. Hence I would like to know if anyone has attempted to re_use their OE Dunlop SP Sport runflat insert/assembly with another brand of tires that has a better Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) than the OE Dunlop or just changed to a non-runflat tire setup?
Old 12-20-10, 05:48 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Runflat, schmunfat, everyone hates em!
Old 12-20-10, 06:11 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Runflats are load and rough, ditched mine for 20's
Old 12-20-10, 06:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you mean by runflat assembly. A runflat system consists of the following:
A runflat tire (tire with a reinforced sidewall but standard tread pattern)
A tire pressure monitoring sensor
A regular wheel

You can replace the tire without replacing anything else. But you can't change the tread on the tire without replacing the tire.
The dunlops are known to be noisy tire.

If you insist on runflats you will see some improvement from switching to michelin Pilot a/s zp runflats.

However you will see a much bigger improvement with non run flat tires.
Old 12-20-10, 06:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

As point of reference I had same issue and switched first to Michelin PS2 ZP (rft) and found those insufficient so then switched to standard Michelin PS2 which are superb.
Old 12-22-10, 07:04 PM
iGS430
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by batman75
Not sure what you mean by runflat assembly. A runflat system consists of the following:
A runflat tire (tire with a reinforced sidewall but standard tread pattern)
A tire pressure monitoring sensor
A regular wheel

You can replace the tire without replacing anything else. But you can't change the tread on the tire without replacing the tire.
The dunlops are known to be noisy tire.

If you insist on runflats you will see some improvement from switching to michelin Pilot a/s zp runflats.

However you will see a much bigger improvement with non run flat tires.
I see... forgive me for my ignorance. I work with Hummers in the desert, that has the tire-within-a-tire runflat setup (It’s a hard rubber ring bonded to the wheel that can support the car’s weight in case the outer tire loses air. Michelin markets such a system under the PAX brand and it is standard equipment on the Honda Odyssey minivan and the Rolls-Royce Phantom) For this reason I thought our GS's had the same configuration.
Old 12-22-10, 07:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iGS430
I see... forgive me for my ignorance. I work with Hummers in the desert, that has the tire-within-a-tire runflat setup (It’s a hard rubber ring bonded to the wheel that can support the car’s weight in case the outer tire loses air. Michelin markets such a system under the PAX brand and it is standard equipment on the Honda Odyssey minivan and the Rolls-Royce Phantom) For this reason I thought our GS's had the same configuration.
Pax tires are not available in the size worn by the GS. GS uses the Bridgestone 2G RFT system and imitations of that like Michelins ZP system. The PAX system would offer a better ride, but has never been available in low profile configurations used by sports cars and sports sedans.

When Bridgestone releases the 3G RFT tire, you should start to see better ride quality from high performance run-flats. However I haven't seen any 3G RFT tires on sale in the US yet. This is why most people who want a good driving experience go for non run flat tires.
Old 12-24-10, 08:50 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iGS430
Okay guys i need your input, been hearing a terrible tire nose with no vibration when driving above 20 mph. Tire shop diagnosed my OE Tires 245/40-18 to have a PLY SEPARATION.

I've been reading a whole lot of negative reviews on pricey Run flat tire quality. Hence I would like to know if anyone has attempted to re_use their OE Dunlop SP Sport runflat insert/assembly with another brand of tires that has a better Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) than the OE Dunlop or just changed to a non-runflat tire setup?

The only issue I have with the OE RFT DSST5000M is it does not perform well in snowy weather.
My first OE set lasted 42K miles. On my 2nd set.
Can't wait for the Primacy MVX4 (ZP feature) available for GS07 size next spring. Have them on my AccordEXV6 and love them in snow.