GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

When someone copies you...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 07:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
I'm betting it is coincidence. If he was a copy cat he would be running in the same circle as you (your work comment) but obviously he is not or you would already have seen the yourself. For all you know, you copied him. It's just as possible he recently moved to your area and actually had the same mods before you did. It's not like there is huge after market support for these cars like say a 69 Camaro. Seems to me it would be quite easy to end up with a twin.
to set the record straight, i did NOT copy him nor have i ever seen this guy or his car. afaik, i'm the only 3GS in the 3rd gen forum running with Work Schwert SC2 wheels. maybe there are some members here with SC2s, but haven't posted pics. but i know i haven't seen any pics yet.

anyone that knows anything about Work wheels is that they are custom ordered to fit AND any custom details wanted must be ordered before the wheel is manufactured.

the polished wheel you see below is the standard version. my wheel is black lip, black spoke, with polished face. THAT has to be custom ordered and cannot be picked off the shelf.

yes it's possible that it's a coincidence, but i find it highly unlikely. there are a couple of lightly modded 3GSs in vancouver, but mainly wheels and drop. and 3GS is not popular at all here (very rare).

i got my GSh in Oct/08, my Work wheels & lowering springs on in Jan-Feb/09, Prussian Blue kit in the summer 2009. it was after i had my wheel/kit installed that i started to raise interest from others here locally. so i do believe i was copied.

but whatever. it is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails When someone copies you...-new-sc2.jpg  

Last edited by Stormforge; 12-21-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 04:38 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the OP was feigning incredulity...I was obviously mistaken. This sounds much like a junior high conversation. There are no patents or trademarks for purchased car modifications. Accept it as a compliment if someone copies your modification...you were their inspiration.
Old 12-22-10, 05:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I thought the OP was feigning incredulity...I was obviously mistaken. This sounds much like a junior high conversation. There are no patents or trademarks for purchased car modifications. Accept it as a compliment if someone copies your modification...you were their inspiration.
Well to me a crazy thing is he is in Canada and the 450h is about as rare as it gets there. To have the same wheels is really really odd on the same car in the same color.

If it was Cali, I wouldn't think much of it, since there car scene is far greater there.

Old 12-22-10, 04:12 PM
OhOneWS6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
to set the record straight, i did NOT copy him nor have i ever seen this guy or his car. afaik, i'm the only 3GS in the 3rd gen forum running with Work Schwert SC2 wheels. maybe there are some members here with SC2s, but haven't posted pics. but i know i haven't seen any pics yet.

anyone that knows anything about Work wheels is that they are custom ordered to fit AND any custom details wanted must be ordered before the wheel is manufactured.

the polished wheel you see below is the standard version. my wheel is black lip, black spoke, with polished face. THAT has to be custom ordered and cannot be picked off the shelf.

yes it's possible that it's a coincidence, but i find it highly unlikely. there are a couple of lightly modded 3GSs in vancouver, but mainly wheels and drop. and 3GS is not popular at all here (very rare).

i got my GSh in Oct/08, my Work wheels & lowering springs on in Jan-Feb/09, Prussian Blue kit in the summer 2009. it was after i had my wheel/kit installed that i started to raise interest from others here locally. so i do believe i was copied.

but whatever. it is what it is.
You don't know that. They may have had those mods long before you and lived in a different part of the county or even in a different country. You accuse them of being a copy cat but I'm betting it is more likely that this person has absolutely no clue about you, your car or your mods. All you have is a sighting by one person that says the car looks just like yours. Your probably going to see this car in person eventually and realize that in actuality it is quite different than yours.

As for my comment about you running in the same circle, Most car nuts that mod similar types of cars end up on the same message board or at the same events. Since this is the only game in town really for any Lexus other than an IS, more than likely you would have seen them on this board or at a local GTG. You have not seen them nor do they post here as far as you know. This again leads me to think they have no clue about your car. If they have no clue, how could they copy it? I'm just saying give the person the benefit of the doubt.

I know I am new here but I'm no stranger to cars or message board. I'm not trying to start a flame war with you. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Don't get so bent when it's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 12-22-10 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i might smile a little and then move on. i can care less if anyone copies me down to the dime. i mod my cars to make myself happy anyway. if i were to make sure my car is unique i would have painted the car lime green first day j/k

i actually have had quite a few people msging me and ask if it's ok for them to get the same "look" or "theme" as my cars. i always laugh and tell them by all means, i praise them for their tastes
Old 12-22-10, 06:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ my car is in the shop getting painted lime green with white leather interior....so you have to pick a new color
Old 12-22-10, 06:56 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ my car is in the shop getting painted lime green with white leather interior....so you have to pick a new color
You going to get "Sprite" as a personalized tag lol!!
Old 12-22-10, 08:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
You don't know that. They may have had those mods long before you and lived in a different part of the county or even in a different country. You accuse them of being a copy cat but I'm betting it is more likely that this person has absolutely no clue about you, your car or your mods. All you have is a sighting by one person that says the car looks just like yours. Your probably going to see this car in person eventually and realize that in actuality it is quite different than yours.

As for my comment about you running in the same circle, Most car nuts that mod similar types of cars end up on the same message board or at the same events. Since this is the only game in town really for any Lexus other than an IS, more than likely you would have seen them on this board or at a local GTG. You have not seen them nor do they post here as far as you know. This again leads me to think they have no clue about your car. If they have no clue, how could they copy it? I'm just saying give the person the benefit of the doubt.

I know I am new here but I'm no stranger to cars or message board. I'm not trying to start a flame war with you. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Don't get so bent when it's not the answer you wanted to hear.
you stated that i copied him, and i gave you my answer, NO i did not. maybe he did have those mods before me, that's a possibility, i'm not denying that. but i'm saying that it's highly unlikely given the facts that i pointed out above.

the GS is unpopular up here. period. you just don't see them in the city. the GS (if you seen one) is mainly driven by doctors/lawyers/business folks/retirees who generally are not into the modding scene.

i know people that go to lexus GTG (and they have seen my car in person), and my clone version has never been seen before until just a few days ago.

and i'm also telling you that my buddy has a very sharp eye for modified cars, and for her to be fooled into believing that GS was mine says alot about the similarities.

people don't have to post and show pics of their cars, they can be lurkers can't they? there are lots of non CL members (ie: visitors) who come here just for the lexus information and don't give a crap about posting. it's very possible they saw pics i've posted or seen my GSh in person and wanted his GS just like it. how can you be certain that this scenario didn't happen?

and why can't you give me the benefit of the doubt? is it really so difficult for you to at least consider that i could be one that was copied? or does that really disturb your sense of equality and justice? you really think i would make up stories just for you to shoot me down?

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
you sir are mistaken. i was surprised when i found out, and was annoyed for a few minutes after i heard the news from my CL buddy. but i'm over it. it bothers me as much as a mosquito bite, you scratch the itch and you forget about it.

so there's another GS with my wheels and possibly other similar mods. whatever.

but when someone starts bashing you online, and makes assumptions that is either false or facts bent to fit their perception of truth, then i certainly would hope that you would defend yourself. this "junior high conversation" as you put it is about setting the record straight, bringing the truth to light. nothing more, nothing less.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well to me a crazy thing is he is in Canada and the 450h is about as rare as it gets there. To have the same wheels is really really odd on the same car in the same color.
the thing is, i totally don't care if the same wheels are on a white/red/silver/blue/etc GS with the exact same colored wheel as mine. but black GS with the same black wheels as mine? that is too much of a coincidence.

for the record guys, i'm totally over it. i'm not angry or upset. i got a couple of more mods up my sleeve that will differentiate my GS from the others. let's see if he can keep up!

Last edited by Stormforge; 12-22-10 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 08:12 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i remembered incidents from college when i saw a car really similar to my friend car at the mall parking lot. i called my friend asking if he was at the mall and he started screamin on the phone that he just noticed hes car have been stolen from dorm parking lot,,called the cops and took care business from there,,,little story from college days in jersey,,,
Old 12-22-10, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
i remembered incidents from college when i saw a car really similar to my friend car at the mall parking lot. i called my friend asking if he was at the mall and he started screamin on the phone that he just noticed hes car have been stolen from dorm parking lot,,called the cops and took care business from there,,,little story from college days in jersey,,,
haha, driving a stolen car to the mall? those are some retarded car thieves
Old 12-23-10, 03:05 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a guy in high school that delivered pizzas in a stolen accord for 2 months lol!
Old 12-23-10, 03:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ haha...did he have one of those "No Fear" stickers on the back window. That took some *****!!!
Old 12-23-10, 11:37 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
you stated that i copied him, and i gave you my answer, NO i did not. maybe he did have those mods before me, that's a possibility, i'm not denying that. but i'm saying that it's highly unlikely given the facts that i pointed out above.

the GS is unpopular up here. period. you just don't see them in the city. the GS (if you seen one) is mainly driven by doctors/lawyers/business folks/retirees who generally are not into the modding scene.

i know people that go to lexus GTG (and they have seen my car in person), and my clone version has never been seen before until just a few days ago.

and i'm also telling you that my buddy has a very sharp eye for modified cars, and for her to be fooled into believing that GS was mine says alot about the similarities.

people don't have to post and show pics of their cars, they can be lurkers can't they? there are lots of non CL members (ie: visitors) who come here just for the lexus information and don't give a crap about posting. it's very possible they saw pics i've posted or seen my GSh in person and wanted his GS just like it. how can you be certain that this scenario didn't happen?

and why can't you give me the benefit of the doubt? is it really so difficult for you to at least consider that i could be one that was copied? or does that really disturb your sense of equality and justice? you really think i would make up stories just for you to shoot me down?

you sir are mistaken. i was surprised when i found out, and was annoyed for a few minutes after i heard the news from my CL buddy. but i'm over it. it bothers me as much as a mosquito bite, you scratch the itch and you forget about it.

so there's another GS with my wheels and possibly other similar mods. whatever.

but when someone starts bashing you online, and makes assumptions that is either false or facts bent to fit their perception of truth, then i certainly would hope that you would defend yourself. this "junior high conversation" as you put it is about setting the record straight, bringing the truth to light. nothing more, nothing less.

the thing is, i totally don't care if the same wheels are on a white/red/silver/blue/etc GS with the exact same colored wheel as mine. but black GS with the same black wheels as mine? that is too much of a coincidence.

for the record guys, i'm totally over it. i'm not angry or upset. i got a couple of more mods up my sleeve that will differentiate my GS from the others. let's see if he can keep up!
I will get CIA on you and beat you to the new mods so i won't copy you
Old 12-23-10, 11:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you guys take this way too seriously
Old 12-23-10, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

relax bro. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Quick Reply: When someone copies you...