GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

When someone copies you...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 09:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default When someone copies you...

is it a compliment or a curse?

So Faymester texted me last nite saying there's another black GS running around that looks like me (same Work wheels, lowered, possibly has some light mods). She didn't get a good enough look to see whether there was a lip kit on or what other mods that are the same as mine. But when she first saw the GS, she thought it was me until she passed him and realized it was someone else.

So how do you take it? Do you take it as a compliment (imitation is the best form of flattery), or do you think it's a cop out? I'm currently just a tinge annoyed; I mean of all the aftermarket wheels that are out there, he has to get the same as mine?

Now I feel I'm forced to do more unique customization in order to stand apart from the copycats. Sigh.
Old 12-20-10, 09:24 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
is it a compliment or a curse?
So how do you take it? Do you take it as a compliment (imitation is the best form of flattery), or do you think it's a cop out? I'm currently just a tinge annoyed; I mean of all the aftermarket wheels that are out there, he has to get the same as mine?
I thik i'd feel the same as you, a little annoyed because of the rims. Unless, they have never seen your car before.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-21-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 09:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ i'm 95% confident that when i got my mods, i was the only 3GS in my city that was fulled modded. sure there are a few lightly modded GS, but at the most it's just wheels and a drop. you rarely see a GS here (let alone a modded hybrid). it can't be coincidence with same wheels?!?!
Old 12-20-10, 09:56 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Storm,
I would be annoyed too. It shows a lack of originality on the part of the other owner. It's one thing to admire and do some of the same mod (lowering, Lighting etc....) but to go as far as getting the same wheels.. At least live in another city where you don't have the chance of running into the original.
Old 12-20-10, 10:00 PM
DftMachine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they really liked your set up?
Old 12-20-10, 10:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
Hey Storm,
I would be annoyed too. It shows a lack of originality on the part of the other owner. It's one thing to admire and do some of the same mod (lowering, Lighting etc....) but to go as far as getting the same wheels.. At least live in another city where you don't have the chance of running into the original.
agree. faymester got a sharp eye for modded cars, and if it fooled her, that other GS really must look similar to mine.

Originally Posted by DftMachine
Maybe they really liked your set up?
yeah, that's a very distinct possibility....
Old 12-20-10, 10:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I have to go the other way on this. Unless you had wheels custom made and someone paid the company to steal your design, what makes you think you have the right to be the only owner? There are only so many "unique" modifications that can be done unless you go full on custom, so someone else buying an OTS part shouldn't upset you. I mean, if this person was telling others that they are you because they know your online ID, I can't see why you think you should be entitled to be annoyed. Doesn't mean you have to be flattered, but annoyed? No.

Now - I'm talking about wheels and light mods. If you did a completely custom car, trunk, paint, specialized engine mods, and tons of engineering you did, then yes, you would have every right to be concerned/annoyed because someone didn't take the time/effort, and will likely take credit for your style.

Big Mack
Old 12-20-10, 10:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you know what means.......

you need to paint your car a new color.
Old 12-20-10, 10:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

big mack, thx for the objectivity, your comment duly noted.

but let's say for the sake of argument, that you wear a certain brand of clothes, and you like to express yourself in your clothing a certain way. your co-worker sees you being hip, and copies you. Maybe not exactly the same, but enough similarities that you notice and say "hey, what's up with that?" that doesn't bother you one bit?
Old 12-20-10, 10:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you know what means.......

you need to paint your car a new color.
lol! umm, don't think so.
Old 12-20-10, 10:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

You got a twin! you should get to know him
Old 12-20-10, 11:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

big mack, thx for the objectivity, your comment duly noted.
Cool, mang.

but let's say for the sake of argument, that you wear a certain brand of clothes, and you like to express yourself in your clothing a certain way. your co-worker sees you being hip, and copies you. Maybe not exactly the same, but enough similarities that you notice and say "hey, what's up with that?" that doesn't bother you one bit?
Well, I don't think I'd ever have that problem. Not being able to buy off the rack does have it's advantages.

In terms of your question, though, no, it wouldn't bother me because I know who I am and those who know me know that no one could be me. I also know that even if they did try to copy me, clothes are just clothes. It would be nearly impossible to steal my personality and I'm not sure anyone would want it (ha!).

Funny thing is, I look very much like someone famous and went to Comicon a few years ago dressed as I usually do. I in no way tried to emulate him, but due to the striking similarities, people thought we were the same person. I repeatedly told them I wasn't, but several wouldn't take no for an answer, so I gave them my autograph. At this point, they started asking each other "Who the hell is Big Mack??" Hehehehehe...

Big Mack
Old 12-21-10, 04:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i understand but at the same time it wouldnt bother me. i cant stop someone from doing what they want to do so why let it bother me?
Old 12-21-10, 04:46 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Another point to look at, when i mod - I tried to pick something i like but different and rare (ie, hard to get) If you got something that other people have a hard time getting discourages copying.. When I started modding my GS400, i had a guy from my home town which i don't know but he knows people I know. Anyways, he started following my mods, he even got people i know to call me and ask innocently whats my offset, spring height, what kind of this and that and etc.. little did i know he was building a modded GS to follow me, but at the time he lacked my wheels which were just discontinued and very hard to find..I had a set of 19 inch Racing Hart C5's i bought from a Guy who owned a Supra show car. A rare wheel you don't see in the Lexus community.. anyways He never could make his car exactly like mine but it was close except for the wheels. A year later, i decided to take the next step and go full body kit and changed to Volk wheels - i had planned to keep my Racing harts for a backup set but funny thing he saw me one day and i had my stock wheels on, he flipped out and flagged me down and introduced himself - he asked about the C5 wheels and i told him i still had them.. he made a generous offer for the wheels (more than I paid for them), i started to say nah, but i thought, i will be kitted soon and with new Volks so I let him buy my Racing Harts.. He was so glad until he saw my car with full body kit and Volks.. hehehe
Old 12-21-10, 07:00 AM
OhOneWS6
Driver School Candidate

I'm betting it is coincidence. If he was a copy cat he would be running in the same circle as you (your work comment) but obviously he is not or you would already have seen the yourself. For all you know, you copied him. It's just as possible he recently moved to your area and actually had the same mods before you did. It's not like there is huge after market support for these cars like say a 69 Camaro. Seems to me it would be quite easy to end up with a twin.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 12-21-10 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: When someone copies you...