GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problems with lowered gs450h

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 11:18 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problems with lowered gs450h

Hi,
My car was lowered on tanabe nf210 springs about 2.5 years ago. Early this year I put new 20" shoes on. I had to do some shaving on rear. Fronts were rubbing only when I hit a big bump. About a month ago I've noticed more and more rubbing on the left front (rear is clear). It came to the point where it rubs on each tight highway exit ramp. It just drives me nuts I took some visual measurements, and it seems left side of the car significantly dropped. I'm aware of this behavior, but I was not aware it would drop that much
I remember the car was sitting slightly lower on the drivers side before new springs were installed, and it remained that way after the installation. That means springs are not the cause...
Do you guys know how this can be fixed? I know I can probably go with tein, but I don't want to loose stock adjustment. I have another set of nf210, but I don't think this would solve my problem. The car has 25k miles on it...
Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-10, 11:25 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Yep coilovers will fix it
Old 12-21-10, 11:38 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Yep coilovers will fix it
I know, but I want to keep factory features, and that means I would loose suspension softness adjustment... I also plan on getting rid of the car next year, so it would be a big dollar loss...
Old 12-21-10, 12:00 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

what is it rubbing on? Let me guess your running a 245/35/20 in the front?
Old 12-21-10, 05:45 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chopperpl
I know, but I want to keep factory features, and that means I would loose suspension softness adjustment... I also plan on getting rid of the car next year, so it would be a big dollar loss...
I have been real impressed with the ride I got from my BCracing coilovers I got their softer spring rates and love it!
Old 12-21-10, 06:00 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
what is it rubbing on? Let me guess your running a 245/35/20 in the front?
That's correct...
Old 12-21-10, 06:04 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

That's correct...
The reason he asked is because that size though commonly recomended is an inch over spec. I have a 245/30 a 225/35 may help also its closer and will provide more of a stretch
Old 12-21-10, 06:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
My car was lowered on tanabe nf210 springs about 2.5 years ago. Early this year I put new 20" shoes on. I had to do some shaving on rear. Fronts were rubbing only when I hit a big bump. About a month ago I've noticed more and more rubbing on the left front (rear is clear). It came to the point where it rubs on each tight highway exit ramp. It just drives me nuts I took some visual measurements, and it seems left side of the car significantly dropped. I'm aware of this behavior, but I was not aware it would drop that much
I remember the car was sitting slightly lower on the drivers side before new springs were installed, and it remained that way after the installation. That means springs are not the cause...
Do you guys know how this can be fixed? I know I can probably go with tein, but I don't want to loose stock adjustment. I have another set of nf210, but I don't think this would solve my problem. The car has 25k miles on it...
Thanks in advance
My car has been lowered on NF210 for 3.5 years with no rubbing. My front tires are 245-30-20. Change your tires and you'll be fine.
Nothing you can do about the left side being lower, except get coilovers. The springs ride like stock so most of us stick with them.
Old 12-21-10, 07:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have an aggressive drop then you will notice this more. Yes these cars lean if your on springs. This is one advantage to having coils because you can make sure the car is dead level. I found the ride to be much better on coils especially after selling them and installing the OEM suspension. If I keep my GS its going back to coils.

As for the rubbing post up some pics. Im sure we can help you resolve the issue
Old 12-21-10, 08:29 PM
LexFather

Call whomever you bought the springs from, that should not happen.

One thing about going with COils is they are designed as one unit from the start and that is why they work better (and are more expensive)
Old 12-22-10, 04:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

That's correct...
theres your problem. a lot of members say they rub on full turns with the 245/35 tire. like lka said, its out of spec and a little over sized.
Old 12-22-10, 08:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

chopperpl, didn't you pm me or ask me on a thread topic about my tire size? i do recall telling you (if not you, then someone else with a GSh - memory starting to get shot now) that if you went with my tire and wheel size, you won't have any rubbing issues.

i'm sorry to hear you will get rid of your GSh next year. was there a particular reason why you are getting rid of it?
Old 12-23-10, 06:51 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Stormforge
chopperpl, didn't you pm me or ask me on a thread topic about my tire size? i do recall telling you (if not you, then someone else with a GSh - memory starting to get shot now) that if you went with my tire and wheel size, you won't have any rubbing issues.

i'm sorry to hear you will get rid of your GSh next year. was there a particular reason why you are getting rid of it?
Yes, it was me. I don't feel comfy with 30s in front here in NJ. Roads around here are pretty bad. I used to have 30s on MB, and driving on 287 was really challenging. I saw some people here running on 35s, and that's why I decided to take the risk. It was fine at the beginning, but it seems the car keeps dropping over time. I don't have any pictures at this time to show where it rubs, but will post them soon...
The reason why I'm getting rid of it is a need for SUV. My family has two new members since I've purchased the car, and borrowing my wife's car in winter is no longer an option...
Cheers
Old 12-26-10, 07:49 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yes these cars lean if your on springs. This is one advantage to having coils because you can make sure the car is dead level.
Is this the case with all 3G GS? Do they lean from the factory?
Old 12-26-10, 10:03 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSSOM
Is this the case with all 3G GS? Do they lean from the factory?
I believe so, although I didn't notice much leaning when I lowered my car on factory wheels. I had spacers as well at one point.

Check out my pics with factory 18"s lowered and 20mm spacers!

Quick Reply: Problems with lowered gs450h