GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 10:33 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
I'm not a tech so I couldn't say why you can or can't use the dot 4 instead. I use the dot 3 as recommended. I'm not one to go out of the box when it comes to my cars. Do what the dealer and manufacture says and you can't go wrong.
Yeah, I agree. That is why I ask here and go by the service manuals. Preventive maintenance is something I value to improve the durability of the car and to keep its intended reliability.

By the way, you did change the transmission fluid, right? I thought some day about doing it, but then you read that you do not have to. What were the main difficulties you found? Gotta measure temperature? You bought a box with something like 12 quarts? In the pictures there is a part number, but cannot be read. Which is the part number?
Old 10-07-15, 11:21 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So with the last 200k miles, have you noticed any oil consumption? Ever had to fill oil prior to a change? I noticed you use sea foam, first in just gas tank and then in also one of the vacuum lines. Can u confirm which way you did at what Mileage? I want to make my car last just as long as yours! Thx
Old 10-12-15, 09:15 AM
Macoyle
Rookie

Sounds like the Honda has served you well. My 15 year old son will be driving after January and I really thought long and hard on giving him my car and starting over with an LS 460. I've decided to keep running my car and get him a much slower first car. This GS has a ton of power at all speeds. It wouldn't be to smart to give a young boy a fast RWD car.
The car looks spotless as always! I see we have the same taste in vehicles! I had a TL and was shopping for a GS when I saw your thread on the TL, and Ive been following this thread for quite some time now! Our next Lexus will be an LS460 as well, they are amazing vehicles and they are in the right price range now. Anyways great job as always, you really are inspiring for a ton of people. Thank you on behalf of all the members, and all the people who find your thread while googling information about these vehicles. I know its not easy to remember to take pictures and update the thread all the time but we do appreciate it!

Good luck with your son starting to drive soon as well! Im sure he will pick up on your maintenance habits as well-

Mike
Old 10-12-15, 03:14 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Excellent thread, very inspirational!

I heard about this thread from a friend over on the LS460 side of the house, I too drive a lot (30k a year) and perform my own maintenance on my LS460.

I'm a huge fan of vehicle longevity and yours certainly qualifies...love the pictures and write ups. Outstanding, glad I checked it out.

Love to see you get into a LS460, simply because there's not a lot of people over there that drive as much as you do, be a lot of fun watching you pile the miles on over there. Congrats, the GS is a reliable beast!!
Old 10-13-15, 06:41 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LB23
Yeah, I agree. That is why I ask here and go by the service manuals. Preventive maintenance is something I value to improve the durability of the car and to keep its intended reliability.

By the way, you did change the transmission fluid, right? I thought some day about doing it, but then you read that you do not have to. What were the main difficulties you found? Gotta measure temperature? You bought a box with something like 12 quarts? In the pictures there is a part number, but cannot be read. Which is the part number?
If you look back on this thread, you'll see I never actually changed the transmission fluid myself. I didn't have the tools the dealer had and they actually flush the transmission getting all of the fluid out of the all important torque converter. It's a process that requires a machine so I left it up to them to do it right. It's not worth the risk of damaging the unit. I've had the dealer do it 4 times now. Every 60,000 miles. They will perform it again at the 300k mark.

The sea foam I do every 60,000 miles as well. I do it right before I change the plugs as the amount of crap that comes out gets imbedded into the plugs. They suggest you change the plugs after performing it. I put half the can in the tank and the other I suck up into the vacuum lines. I'll post a video of the aftermath in a minute. It's a lot of smoke!!

I still have the case of transmission fluid in my garage. I'll make you an insane deal on it, if you want it.

Originally Posted by Gs3500
So with the last 200k miles, have you noticed any oil consumption? Ever had to fill oil prior to a change? I noticed you use sea foam, first in just gas tank and then in also one of the vacuum lines. Can u confirm which way you did at what Mileage? I want to make my car last just as long as yours! Thx
This past oil change at 295,000 miles I checked the dipstick and it was at the low mark. I drained the oil and measured it and sure enough, I was a quart low. According to most manufactures, a quart consumed between changes is considered normal. I've never had to add oil between changes and I've never seen any form of smoke or smell from my exhaust.

Originally Posted by Macoyle
The car looks spotless as always! I see we have the same taste in vehicles! I had a TL and was shopping for a GS when I saw your thread on the TL, and Ive been following this thread for quite some time now! Our next Lexus will be an LS460 as well, they are amazing vehicles and they are in the right price range now. Anyways great job as always, you really are inspiring for a ton of people. Thank you on behalf of all the members, and all the people who find your thread while googling information about these vehicles. I know its not easy to remember to take pictures and update the thread all the time but we do appreciate it!

Good luck with your son starting to drive soon as well! Im sure he will pick up on your maintenance habits as well-

Mike
Thank you Mike! It means a lot to me to read your post! I'm happy to share my experience with my car and show people just how much they can get from a car they take care of. It has served me well and I'm going to continue doing my part to keeping it going. I can't wait to get into a 460!

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Excellent thread, very inspirational!

I heard about this thread from a friend over on the LS460 side of the house, I too drive a lot (30k a year) and perform my own maintenance on my LS460.

I'm a huge fan of vehicle longevity and yours certainly qualifies...love the pictures and write ups. Outstanding, glad I checked it out.

Love to see you get into a LS460, simply because there's not a lot of people over there that drive as much as you do, be a lot of fun watching you pile the miles on over there. Congrats, the GS is a reliable beast!!

Wow! I'm glad to hear that this thread is being talked about from the big guys with the 460's. I will continue to keep those pictures rolling on here and keep you guys up to date. I thought I would hit the 300 mark at the end of the month but I've been flying a lot this month.

How is that 460 you own on real life driving? What is the best gas mileage you've gotten out of it? Is it an AWD or a RWD? Thank you!
Old 10-13-15, 06:46 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Here is a video showing you just how much smoke comes out of the car when you start it up....

http://vid17.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6ciolxqx.mp4

Last edited by mmade22; 10-13-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 05:13 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would like to buy that case of WS fluid from you.
Old 10-14-15, 03:03 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Here is a video showing you just how much smoke comes out of the car when you start it up....

http://vid17.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6ciolxqx.mp4
Leaking headgasket maybe? Are you losing coolant?
Old 10-14-15, 06:06 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by burny
I would like to buy that case of WS fluid from you.
PM with a respectable offer with shipping and it's yours. Remember, the case is a good 10.pounds in weight.

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Leaking headgasket maybe? Are you losing coolant?
Haha. Taking a video Out of context would have that answer. Yes, if your car was blowing that white smoke, it would be a head gasket for sure. That video was to show the guys who were asking about how to sea foam the engine what happens when you start it up for the first time.
Old 10-15-15, 10:38 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

PM sent sir
Old 10-15-15, 03:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Mmade22, as for the LS460, I'm averaging around 27 mpg with it. I do 70% highway, 30% back roads (not much city driving). The 8 speed transmission does wonders for the fuel economy, but it does take super for gas.

I personally own a rwd model and it's been surprisingly good in the snow as long as I have snow tires on it. The traction control system is the best I've ever experienced, it's amazing how it keeps you going straight in terrible conditions. The car overall is very comfortable, it's fantastic on the highway, very very good power and acceleration, handles and steers fantastic for a big car (it handles like its a much smaller vehicle). The brakes are outstanding too.

Parts for the car are expensive and the cars are known to have control arm issues, but aftermarket parts are available. Like any high end luxury car, there are lots of gadgets that could break, but Lexus builds a quality car (as you know) and I haven't had any problems with mine. It's a nice car, but then again so is the GS.

One thing I'm surprised about is that you changed the oil every 5k miles...why not go with an extended life oil like Amsoil or something? You must be changing it every month at your pace.

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-15-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 12:56 PM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

i really dig your garage. great pics.
Old 10-19-15, 01:31 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread genuinely makes me happy. Absolutely amazing man.
Old 10-19-15, 09:25 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very informative thread. Thanks!
Old 12-03-15, 06:01 AM
JHopkins
Driver School Candidate

Default Advice for New Owner of High Mileage GS430

I recently bough an 06 GS430 from a Lexus service manager. From what I can see it has been well cared for and serviced regularly. It currently has 288xxx miles and I would like to squeeze as many more out of it as I can. I only use it to commune a few miles a day to work. What service recommendations do you have for a car with this mileage?

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......