GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 03:05 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Mmade, you don't ever want to be handed the keys to a LS460, because like you said, once that happens you want one. I've heard that story so many times, and it had happened to me once personally. Three years later and I'm still in love. It takes a bit to get used to how quiet it is...first two weeks I owned it I was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep at the wheel twice (scary), because it's so tomb like...yet it's also like sitting in your living room. The car just loves to be driven, the more miles the happier they get.

But you have made me a fan of the GS350. Every time I see a GS350 owner I mention your car, they love hearing about it.

Last edited by Doublebase; 09-14-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 06:08 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Mmade, you don't ever want to be handed the keys to a LS460, because like you said, once that happens you want one. I've heard that story so many times, and it had happened to me once personally. Three years later and I'm still in love. It takes a bit to get used to how quiet it is...first two weeks I owned it I was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep at the wheel twice (scary), because it's so tomb like...yet it's also like sitting in your living room. The car just loves to be driven, the more miles the happier they get.

But you have made me a fan of the GS350. Every time I see a GS350 owner I mention your car, they love hearing about it.

That is my exact words to a tee when explaining the ride in the LS. Like driving in your living room. Twenty years being on the road has taught me a lot of things and I am now over a lowered harder riding car. I'm so ready to get into a quiet, comfortable cruiser. I'll update everyone in about a week or two. Things have changed around here recently. I'm just waiting for everything to follow through before I update you all. Stay tooned!
Old 09-15-16, 02:22 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmade22
That is my exact words to a tee when explaining the ride in the LS. Like driving in your living room. Twenty years being on the road has taught me a lot of things and I am now over a lowered harder riding car. I'm so ready to get into a quiet, comfortable cruiser. I'll update everyone in about a week or two. Things have changed around here recently. I'm just waiting for everything to follow through before I update you all. Stay tooned!
keep in mind though when that 460 breaks, it's going to cost you, especially with the miles you put on. They are reliable, but you have a car that's made it over 300,000 without any major issues...as much as I love the 460 it may bite you and cost you some money to fix. I have 134,000 on mine - all I've had to replace is control arms and a wheel bearing, and I was able to do those myself, but if it was something major? This car is expensive to fix. I would love to see someone drive a 460 as much as you do though, there aren't many people on the 460 side of the house that drive all that much. I think I'm one of the higher ones with 28,000 a year.
Old 09-15-16, 06:39 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Doublebase
keep in mind though when that 460 breaks, it's going to cost you, especially with the miles you put on. They are reliable, but you have a car that's made it over 300,000 without any major issues...as much as I love the 460 it may bite you and cost you some money to fix. I have 134,000 on mine - all I've had to replace is control arms and a wheel bearing, and I was able to do those myself, but if it was something major? This car is expensive to fix. I would love to see someone drive a 460 as much as you do though, there aren't many people on the 460 side of the house that drive all that much. I think I'm one of the higher ones with 28,000 a year.
No worries. I looked into this model and did my homework so out of any car in this class, the LS460 is the one to get as far as reliability. It's not a German car with major repairs. I'm buying the car so I'll have no payments. If something major comes up, it'll be a bummer but it'll be fixed and I'll keep moving forward. I'm not buying new knowing what it'll be put through.

if you really do your research, the LS compared to the GS cost of ownership over 5 years isn't that much more. More gas yes but the cars are very close in repair bills. Buying a 2013 or newer is going to eliminate most of the (control arms) major issues. I got a world of knowledge and a killer set of tools. I'll get by for the next six years.
Old 09-15-16, 07:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

So i have to ask, where is that GS350 ending up. An extra car, or being sold to a lucky buyer?
Old 09-16-16, 08:11 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

No worries. I looked into this model and did my homework so out of any car in this class, the LS460 is the one to get as far as reliability. It's not a German car with major repairs. I'm buying the car so I'll have no payments. If something major comes up, it'll be a bummer but it'll be fixed and I'll keep moving forward. I'm not buying new knowing what it'll be put through.

if you really do your research, the LS compared to the GS cost of ownership over 5 years isn't that much more. More gas yes but the cars are very close in repair bills. Buying a 2013 or newer is going to eliminate most of the (control arms) major issues. I got a world of knowledge and a killer set of tools. I'll get by for the next six years.
Well that's awesome, welcome to the LS family...it'll be good to have someone that drives as much as you report on how the car holds up. I think you'll love the LS.
Old 09-28-16, 02:29 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Well everyone, I want to say Thank you for all the great feedback you've given over the years on my thread. I will say that all good things must come to an end......

I had an opportunity to sell my car to a friend of mine for what I thought was a very fair price. I felt after six years of ownership almost to the day and almost 300,000 miles driven by me, it was time to move on to something else. The car still is in NC and its still a garage kept car that will be very well taken care of so I am very happy the new owner has it. It was a very hard thing for me to do and I thought long and hard over it, but in the end I decided to let her go. I couldn't believe when I did a KBB value on it with 337,452 miles (miles when I sold it) it came back at $9,000 dollars. Talk about Return On Investment!

I can't say anything other than this car has made a true believer out of me and I hope some of you that cars can be driven to extreme miles without issues when taken care of.

Here is a VIDEO of the very last day the car drove out of my garage for good......

Last edited by mmade22; 09-28-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 02:45 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Well everyone, I want to say Thank you for all the great feedback you've given over the years on my thread. I will say that all good things must come to an end......

I had an opportunity to sell my car to a friend of mine for what I thought was a very fair price. I felt after six years of ownership almost to the day and almost 300,000 miles driven by me, it was time to move on to something else. The car still is in NC and its still a garage kept car that will be very well taken care of so I am very happy the new owner has it. It was a very hard thing for me to do and I thought long and hard over it, but in the end I decided to let her go. I couldn't believe when I did a KBB value on it with 337,452 miles (miles when I sold it) it came back at $9,000 dollars. Talk about Return On Investment!

I can't say anything other than this car has made a true believer out of me and I hope some of you that cars can be driven to extreme miles without issues when taken care of.

Here is a VIDEO of the very last day the car drove out of my garage for good......

Sad to hear of your parting ways with the legend! Have the new owner join up and keep us all posted May I ask what's taking its place?
Old 09-28-16, 03:20 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
So i have to ask, where is that GS350 ending up. An extra car, or being sold to a lucky buyer?
It was sold to a friend of mine just north of Raleigh, NC and its in good hands so I am happy.

Here are the last pictures I had of the car before I handed the keys over and drove a rental car home...

Name:  A80D5B0C-28C6-4439-A0F7-6C210FF73FB5_zps8svrfuup.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  324.2 KB
Name:  E1A5B332-361A-4C26-8464-E7F981A12E64_zps20tpd9oz.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  319.9 KB
Name:  74311342-446F-4CA0-A3DF-7ED9D675F3F8_zpshpr9fhhg.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  305.8 KB

I guess at this point this thread has come to sort of a close. I told the new owner to check in here from time to time but the car went from driving 1200-1500 miles a week to now driving about 100-200 miles a week so not many miles will be put on her. We will find out in the future just how well the car holds up as a daily driver around town.

One form comes to an end but another will be born in the near future over in the LS side.

It all was meant to be as I've been looking for a 2013+ LS 460 for the past 6 months pretty hard.

Nothing seemed to be coming up locally and if there was, it didn't have the right options, color or it was from a dealer and they wanted a premium for the car as they knew what they had.

The search continued until one day, I clicked on E-bay and there it was........

A local one owner bought from Hendrick Lexus here in Charlotte, NC......

2013 LS460L Pearl White with Parchment interior with 31,000 miles on the odometer.

I called the guy right away and said I'd like to come see it today! He stated the car was in a garage at his business and I could come up anytime. I took the 1.5 hour drive north to Hickory, NC and there she was.... Sitting pretty in one of they nicest garages I've ever been in.

Name:  F4997F47-8B6F-4004-A296-64C3F88EACF5_zpsmrmf22os.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  230.2 KB
Name:  68FBD5FF-97B1-41EF-9439-C2FEA4E9BBE5_zpsgjnhrua8.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  216.2 KB
Name:  99B75335-6352-43CF-81EB-8F6C8E243EA8_zpswloteg7c.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  219.2 KB

It had been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks. His wife just upgraded to a new Land Rover that was amazing! He knew what he had and decided to sell it outright instead of trade it in. He knows how to make the most out of a car as he just liquidated all his collector cars to Barrett Jackson!

The best part is, They had all service work done by my dealer. The 30k service was just done and they had the dealer replace all the tires!

It has the options I wanted like the ML stereo and the LED headlights. After reading more into these cars, the options like LKA and Radar Cruise along with Air Ride are very hard to find! The color combo was right and to find an L car in white was near impossible in my area.

So it begins as I am on my first week driving the car. I already had the windows tinted including the windshield with ceramic and I'm getting the front end wrapped with a clear bra this weekend. Not much else is going to be done except drive it all over the south.

I am more than impressed with the ride and the attention to detail. The Mark Levinson system is simply amazing!

A few pictures after a detail and the tint was done:

Name:  89921AA2-02A4-45EF-AFEB-BDDDCCC90D27_zpspjsz4dm8.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  295.9 KB
Name:  3412DA69-6A30-43C0-9E68-80B9D63675BD_zpsqucj8aby.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  311.5 KB
Name:  B4203353-C8D2-459A-8DFD-20C870C3A851_zpsq8adubti.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  256.5 KB
Name:  3FFBE65E-04D4-49DF-83A4-8D12D2DA1A99_zpspu9zwtk7.jpg
Size:  243.2 KB
Name:  7C4262B0-426E-4F69-AF34-0EF15A34D83B_zpsmrtflftj.jpg
Size:  241.7 KB
Name:  21880F33-F3E0-49EB-991A-038C6B6856C9_zpsze6tns4z.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  227.3 KB
Name:  B0C06920-5ACA-45D1-A903-E6A0A66FA936_zpsdtwuvhmu.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  236.7 KB

After driving the car this week and when I was at the end of my tank (500 plus miles) I was averaging 27 mpg!

Impressive for such a heavy powerful car!

Name:  F90E4AED-0D0C-4FA4-958A-9F8661E82662_zpspzoinhgt.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  166.8 KB
Name:  DA521732-514D-4441-B9D5-17CD7ECF9848_zpsg4gqw6mh.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  171.0 KB
Old 09-28-16, 07:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, I knew this post would appear eventually. The LS is a whole different level of car, an you definitely got it from a great first owner.
Old 09-28-16, 08:21 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase man. It's sad to see your GS go but I'm sure you'll enjoy the LS. I can't wait to hear the differences between the GS and LS in the long run.
Old 09-29-16, 06:46 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I created a topic on my GS and will try to do the same you did with pictures and updates, mine is a GS450h so bit different on maintenance and some other fixes to cover. I used your topic as a read in before buying mine Thanks for all the pictures and great info!
Old 09-29-16, 11:55 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

It was sold to a friend of mine just north of Raleigh, NC and its in good hands so I am happy.

Here are the last pictures I had of the car before I handed the keys over and drove a rental car home...

I guess at this point this thread has come to sort of a close. I told the new owner to check in here from time to time but the car went from driving 1200-1500 miles a week to now driving about 100-200 miles a week so not many miles will be put on her. We will find out in the future just how well the car holds up as a daily driver around town.

One form comes to an end but another will be born in the near future over in the LS side.

It all was meant to be as I've been looking for a 2013+ LS 460 for the past 6 months pretty hard.

Nothing seemed to be coming up locally and if there was, it didn't have the right options, color or it was from a dealer and they wanted a premium for the car as they knew what they had.

The search continued until one day, I clicked on E-bay and there it was........

A local one owner bought from Hendrick Lexus here in Charlotte, NC......

2013 LS460L Pearl White with Parchment interior with 31,000 miles on the odometer.

I called the guy right away and said I'd like to come see it today! He stated the car was in a garage at his business and I could come up anytime. I took the 1.5 hour drive north to Hickory, NC and there she was.... Sitting pretty in one of they nicest garages I've ever been in.

It had been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks. His wife just upgraded to a new Land Rover that was amazing! He knew what he had and decided to sell it outright instead of trade it in. He knows how to make the most out of a car as he just liquidated all his collector cars to Barrett Jackson!

The best part is, They had all service work done by my dealer. The 30k service was just done and they had the dealer replace all the tires!

It has the options I wanted like the ML stereo and the LED headlights. After reading more into these cars, the options like LKA and Radar Cruise along with Air Ride are very hard to find! The color combo was right and to find an L car in white was near impossible in my area.

So it begins as I am on my first week driving the car. I already had the windows tinted including the windshield with ceramic and I'm getting the front end wrapped with a clear bra this weekend. Not much else is going to be done except drive it all over the south.

I am more than impressed with the ride and the attention to detail. The Mark Levinson system is simply amazing!

A few pictures after a detail and the tint was done:

After driving the car this week and when I was at the end of my tank (500 plus miles) I was averaging 27 mpg!

Impressive for such a heavy powerful car!

This. Is Awesome!!! What a story, and what an end, and better, what a great, fantastic new beginning!!
We whole-heartedly welcome you to the LS corner of the forum!!! New kid in town, so you Gotta introduce yourself, post photos and all that other stuff, or else, like we say in our neck of the woods: "Picks...or it didn't happen!!!"
Congrats on the purchase! Boy...patience pays such dividends, doesn't it!?!?!
Old 09-29-16, 06:43 PM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was fun while it lasted!

Sad so see you go (and really sad to watch the little video of the car leaving the garage for the last time!), but it was amazing to watch the adventure over the last few years. Thanks for all of the hard work, fun stories and posts about your GS!

Once I read about your experience with the LS I knew you'd be hopping in one soon. They do seem like a fair step up in luxury. Looking forward to reading about the new wheels!
Old 10-01-16, 01:21 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are an inspiration. We thank you

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......