GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 09:23 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Ok guys so i just installed my 5k 2watt high power reverse bulbs. The first picture has my halogen garage light on, the next two are in the dark, and the last one is with the garage light on, but its an upclose shot of one reverse light and the 5k trunk light also. The reverse light's light output is a tiny bit brighter or the same as the halogen reverse lights, so it's not overdone, but it has that nice touch.

Objects reflect and shine the same way for both the reverse and the trunk lights. The color in these pix are slightly off though (droid incredible 8mp camera)

what you guys think?
I think this is great!
Awesome pics. Thanx for sharing!
Old 02-07-11, 11:31 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow they all look good. i want to order it too but i have a 2000 ES300 . so now i am looking @ OEMs and matching them on website. But one question : isn't the interior look toooo bright. i think i will start with exterior ones first.
Old 02-08-11, 12:54 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex Luga, that looks great! That's the exact look I'm going for too.

RenatUSSR (and others), excuse my ignorance, but aren't the puddle lights in the exterior mirrors already LED? If so, what is the purpose of changing the LED bulbs? Brighter output? Colour change? I was thinking of these bulbs but if the stock bulbs are already LED, I'm not quite sure what the benefit is. (http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p8825900.html)

Also, I plan to use these LEDs for the vanity mirror lights (http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p7408401.html). RenatUSSR, can you explain in detail how you swapped your lightbulbs out for the vanity mirror lights? I'm not quite sure how to access the lights. BinaryJay mentioned that he just pried it from the driver's side of the light.

Thanks everyone for the tips and the pictures!
Old 02-08-11, 01:58 PM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

This LEDs I have in parking lights.

In puddle lights I have this LEDs.

You don't need FLANK bulbs in puddle lights. (!)

The STOCK bulbs in Puddle Lights are the same as in Parking Lights.
Stock puddle lights in exterior mirrors - NOT LEDs.
Old 02-08-11, 02:06 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
This LEDs I have in parking lights.

In puddle lights I have this LEDs.

You don't need FLANK bulbs in puddle lights. (!)

The STOCK bulbs in Puddle Lights are the same as in Parking Lights.
Stock puddle lights in exterior mirrors - NOT LEDs.
Did you mix up the two bulbs? I thought the reverse parking light should be this one and the puddle light should be this one...

And could you outline for me how you changed the vanity light bulbs? Maybe a step-by-step guide? (Your English is excellent by the way!)

Thanks!

P.S. Did you hardwire the video camera through the rearview mirror yet? I look forward to seeing your post about that once that's done so I can copy you.
Old 02-09-11, 04:06 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy

And could you outline for me how you changed the vanity light bulbs? Maybe a step-by-step guide? (Your English is excellent by the way!)

Thanks!
The vanity lights are pretty striaghtforward. You have to pop the clear lens from the housing which I did with a small pocketknife, starting at the right side of the lens as looking up at it. There are two tabs holding the lens into the frame, each at the center of the short sides. The right side is slightly smaller IIRC. Once the lens is popped out, I had to use a small flat head screwdriver to "pry" the factory 194 bulb out. I couldn't get enough of a grip on it to side it left and remove it, so went the screwdriver route, applying slow and even pressure. Once it's out, the flank LED are pretty easy to position and then slide firmly into the housing. Test before putting the lens cover back on.

No tricks to it, and it does feel as if the lens may snap, but mine popped in and out without issue. I had to use the same blade to pry the frame out when inserting the lens cover. I'd also recommend doing it when the interior is warm, rather than on a cold day when things will be more brittle.

HTH
Old 02-09-11, 06:57 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twylie
The vanity lights are pretty striaghtforward. You have to pop the clear lens from the housing which I did with a small pocketknife, starting at the right side of the lens as looking up at it. There are two tabs holding the lens into the frame, each at the center of the short sides. The right side is slightly smaller IIRC. Once the lens is popped out, I had to use a small flat head screwdriver to "pry" the factory 194 bulb out. I couldn't get enough of a grip on it to side it left and remove it, so went the screwdriver route, applying slow and even pressure. Once it's out, the flank LED are pretty easy to position and then slide firmly into the housing. Test before putting the lens cover back on.

No tricks to it, and it does feel as if the lens may snap, but mine popped in and out without issue. I had to use the same blade to pry the frame out when inserting the lens cover. I'd also recommend doing it when the interior is warm, rather than on a cold day when things will be more brittle.

HTH
Thanks for the step-by-step twylie! The weather is a bit cold up here these days so maybe I will wait until the spring (i.e. April or May...) to do this mod. Last thing I need is to break the lens...

When using flank LEDs, are reverse polarity LEDs crucial? I'm thinking if they don't light up in one direction and you have to insert them another way, but the LEDs are pointing in the wrong direction, that defeats the whole purpose. These are what I had in mind but there is no mention of polarity: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p7408401.html. Are all VLED bulbs reverse polarity? I think RenatUSSR said some of the "cheaper ones" aren't...
Old 02-09-11, 08:28 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
Thanks for the step-by-step twylie! The weather is a bit cold up here these days so maybe I will wait until the spring (i.e. April or May...) to do this mod. Last thing I need is to break the lens...

When using flank LEDs, are reverse polarity LEDs crucial? I'm thinking if they don't light up in one direction and you have to insert them another way, but the LEDs are pointing in the wrong direction, that defeats the whole purpose. These are what I had in mind but there is no mention of polarity: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p7408401.html. Are all VLED bulbs reverse polarity? I think RenatUSSR said some of the "cheaper ones" aren't...
Those are the exact ones I ordered. Not sure if they are polarity sensitive, but I installed them with the LED pointing down into the car and they worked. RenatUSSR is correct that they are a dead match for the factory LED color.
Old 02-09-11, 09:56 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Parking lights question for Renat

Renat,
ON the parking lights you used the Flank LED's.

I just got mine today.

Which way did you install since the LED's the Flank are ONLY on 1 side?

Ty
Old 02-10-11, 11:57 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW those are bright! Awesome! I tried the same thing in my 2IS and it isn't anywhere near as bright!
Old 02-11-11, 10:52 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Renat,
ON the parking lights you used the Flank LED's.

I just got mine today.

Which way did you install since the LED's the Flank are ONLY on 1 side?

Ty
Flank High Power Bulbs from V-Leds are not palarity sensitive.
Ofcourse LEDs must shine downwards.

Sorry for poor quality pics.
I will make better pics when do the rear doors.
I just made front doors. To show the difference. And also to test this setup. (To see how good it will be.)

V-LEDS - Front Doors.
Stock LEDs - Rear Doors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8DHC6FAOsE
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...00874-1-3.html

In first picture I showed with red lines what I cut off to fit V-LEDS circuit board in housing.
Attached Thumbnails V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights-image_252.jpg   V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights-amba0025.jpg   V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights-amba0035.jpg   V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights-amba0017.jpg   V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights-img_7267.jpg  

Last edited by RenatUSSR; 02-20-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 10:39 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I'm having second thoughts on the 2w 5k LED reverse lights..i might get the 8w ones in renats first post because the 2w are hard to see in the daytime with the sun shining bright, it might be dangerous when im backing up and oncoming traffic having trouble seeing that im backing up (although they should always be trying to avoid cars anyway!).

Last edited by Lex Luga; 02-17-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 11:11 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p8761053.html

Will these fit in the driver and passenger vanity mirror lights?

Ill probably move those that are currently my reverse lights, into the vanity mirror lights just so i dont waste them lol (if they fit)

Last edited by Lex Luga; 02-17-11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 06:54 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p8761053.html

Will these fit in the driver and passenger vanity mirror lights?

Ill probably move those that are currently my reverse lights, into the vanity mirror lights just so i dont waste them lol (if they fit)
Yes they will fit. But better some flank bulbs in vanity mirror lights.

Actually these bulbs are toooo bright for vanity mirror lights

Last edited by RenatUSSR; 02-20-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 03:20 PM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

I'm having second thoughts on the 2w 5k LED reverse lights..i might get the 8w ones in renats first post because the 2w are hard to see in the daytime with the sun shining bright, it might be dangerous when im backing up and oncoming traffic having trouble seeing that im backing up (although they should always be trying to avoid cars anyway!).
These 2W Vleds bulbs have less source of light.

Because stock bulbs are bigger then 2w v-leds.

8watt v-leds bulbs for 50$ are the same size as stock and have Viewing Angle: 270 degrees !

2watt v-leds Viewing Angle: 120 degrees
Why this is important ?
Because the quality of light depends on reflectors in lens.
So lens dont work in full mode in lamps when no lights on them... ( eng. )

Last edited by RenatUSSR; 02-24-11 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: V-Leds in Parking, Puddle & Reverse Lights