GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

First post. Need help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 07:14 PM
equetefue
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post. Need help deciding

Hello!

First time posting and hoping this is the first of many many future posts. Currently looking into trading my current lease;2007 Accord; for a nicer vehicle, but really having a hard time deciding on what vehicle to get. Knowing that this is an Lexus board I expect to have probably many biased recommendations but really hope for some legit things to help make the decision.

Planning to get lightly used 2010, as I would like to stay around the $45t mark. This is my short list e350, m37, gs350, a6 and genesis.

They all basically meet my needs and amenities I look for but really worry about reliability for all.

Any input would go much apreciated as I have less than 3 months to make the purchase. Btw how much people really paying for this cars? Full msrp?

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-05-11, 07:24 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

The E350 is a nice vehicle to much money for no reason, has a nice taste but it really doesn't catch my fancy, the M37 I have heard is small inside and very disappointing and I do like the wood but thats where the liking stops, The Audi A6 is a nice car is drives really nice but it cost to maintain it and thats also where the buck stops, these choices are nice but it really depends whether you want to lease or own, I would say if you want to buy I would go with the GS350 not because I love lexus but it is the only all around affordable choice worth making. The people might hate me for this but, the BMW 5 series is a another good choice to look at if you want to lease. Me personally I would buy Lexus and I did not say the Hyundai Genesis because I can't put that in comparison with the rest of the vehicles. Again my personal opin.

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-05-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 08:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
The E350 is a nice vehicle to much money for no reason, has a nice taste but it really doesn't catch my fancy, the M37 I have heard is small inside and very disappointing and I do like the wood but thats where the liking stops, The Audi A6 is a nice car is drives really nice but it cost to maintain it and thats also where the buck stops, these choices are nice but it really depends whether you want to lease or own, I would say if you want to buy I would go with the GS350 not because I love lexus but it is the only all around affordable choice worth making. The people might hate me for this but, the BMW 5 series is a another good choice to look at if you want to lease. Me personally I would buy Lexus and I did not say the Hyundai Genesis becuase I can't put that in comparison with the rest of the vehicles. Again my persoanl opin.
Actually M37 is probably the best bet if you want to stick to your budget. It becomes uncompetitive when you move to the V8 and want to fully spec out, but at 45k is probably the best of the lot. Audis don't have a great reliability track record and is in first year of production. Mercedes is a solid car but not that much fun to drive. BMW is top dog in this segment right now, but it's expensive (about 5-7k more than Benz or Infiniti for like equipment).

I wouldn't bother with the Lexus at this point, even though it is still one of the best for the price. Personally I would hate to shell out the cash for a brand new car and then be driving around in a dated bodystyle after just a year. The GS will be dated in early 2012 when the new one hits the streets.

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-05-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 08:38 PM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

Batman has a point. Lexus will be coming out with the 4th generation GS in 2012, which means the third Gen resale value could be affected somewhat. You might also want to take a look at GS460 or LS460, as their prices may not change that much. There was also a recent comparison between the GS350 and Hyundai Genesis. At the end, the GS came out on top in the areas of handling, fuel economy, and weight. The Genesis is a heavy V8, and don't handle curves very well. Plus, it was getting only 18mpg, where the GS got over 26mpg.

Good luck in your endeavor nonetheless.
Old 01-06-11, 07:01 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Who's to say the design of the 2012 is going to be an improvement anyway?

I'm sure there will be plenty about it I wish I had, though, but barring any catastrophes I'm keeping this GS for a long time and I'll just continue to enjoy it for what it is.
Old 01-07-11, 02:39 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

I'm sure there will be plenty about it I wish I had, though, but barring any catastrophes I'm keeping this GS for a long time and I'll just continue to enjoy it for what it is.
I agree with Jay. Besides the obvious (more up to date technology, a few extra gadgets, and some relocated controls), there's definitely no guarantee that the 4GS will look better than the 3GS. Car manufacturers are notorious for butchering their own designs over and over again. Just look at the transformation the Civic has gone through. IMO, the 6th generation Civic Si is still the best looking Civic ever produced. IMO, the Mk II VW Jetta is the best looking VW Jetta ever produced. IMO, the new Bimmer 5 series is a little ugly......its all opinion though.
Old 01-07-11, 06:29 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
I agree with Jay. Besides the obvious (more up to date technology, a few extra gadgets, and some relocated controls), there's definitely no guarantee that the 4GS will look better than the 3GS. Car manufacturers are notorious for butchering their own designs over and over again. Just look at the transformation the Civic has gone through. IMO, the 6th generation Civic Si is still the best looking Civic ever produced. IMO, the Mk II VW Jetta is the best looking VW Jetta ever produced. IMO, the new Bimmer 5 series is a little ugly......its all opinion though.
Yes but the good thing is the latest 5 series is the best looking And best performing BMW sedan ever, so if Lexus messes up, there is a solid alternative.
Old 01-07-11, 07:50 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Yes but the good thing is the latest 5 series is the best looking And best performing BMW sedan ever, so if Lexus messes up, there is a solid alternative.
Agreed and while I love the new 5, BMW continues to nickle and dime you to death on options and packages. Charging $2k for metallic paint and leather on a $50k car before you even get to the options hurts.
Old 01-07-11, 07:58 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
Agreed and while I love the new 5, BMW continues to nickle and dime you to death on options and packages. Charging $2k for metallic paint and leather on a $50k car before you even get to the options hurts.
Really, leather is an option on the 5? Uh, wow... didn't know that. Anyway, hopefully Lexus doesn't pull a TL on the GS. It's not like I'm rooting for the 4GS to be fugly (like the HS), just because I plan on keeping my 3GS - I wouldn't mind getting another GS in the future.

Also, this is a real product. :P

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-07-11 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 08:35 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Really, leather is an option on the 5? Uh, wow... didn't know that. Anyway, hopefully Lexus doesn't pull a TL on the GS. It's not like I'm rooting for the 4GS to be fugly (like the HS), just because I plan on keeping my 3GS - I wouldn't mind getting another GS in the future.
on the 535, leather and any exterior color other than white or black are upcharges. Leatherette is the standard interior surface. Once you get to the 550 they include both I think. On one hand it's nice to have a lot of customizing ability with the different packages and options, but it's all to easy to drop another $10k+ into options on any version of the 5.
Old 01-07-11, 09:16 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
on the 535, leather and any exterior color other than white or black are upcharges. Leatherette is the standard interior surface. Once you get to the 550 they include both I think. On one hand it's nice to have a lot of customizing ability with the different packages and options, but it's all to easy to drop another $10k+ into options on any version of the 5.
yeah when I test drove the BMW 5 they said they do that because they want the customer to upgrade to the higher model !
Old 01-10-11, 11:17 AM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I have just purchased two '08 GS350s, and we're planning on keeping ours for a long time. We love our GS's.

Old 01-10-11, 11:43 AM
JL6speed
Driver

I'd hold off for the 4th gen GS. But then again, depends what you want out of ur purchase. If you really need the new technologies the newer cars offer, then I'd wait. If you'd be fine w/ what the current 2010 offers, then go for it. Personally I am fine with my 08 except for the lack of USB aux. The 2010 fixes that. Otherwise, everything newer is just bonus.