GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The car that changed me: Thoughts, Rants, and Soliloquies

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 10:48 AM
bs0dxi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The car that changed me: Thoughts, Rants, and Soliloquies

Well OK not so much soliloquies but just random thoughts to myself and to this board. I am now in my third year as a GS350 owner and I can say that it was the right decision to purchase this car, albeit some reservations (below).

Actually, it's a lease not a purchase which means come May this year I will either return it or keep it.

But before I do I must evaluate my history with the GS - we have quite a colorful history together.

-3 speeding tickets
-2 red light violations
-1 reckless driving (DUI downgraded)
-1 accident (not at fault)
-1 fix it violation for no front license plate
-1 fix it violation for window tinting
-1 minor crash into my OWN garage door (self-inflicted)

I should have gotten a valentine one. I'm also surprised my license hasn't been suspended. DMV did send me a warning letter though...

"...one more and you're ****ed."

But the majority of these incidents were mid to late 2009 and early 2010 and I've been good ever since. I guess you could argue that the gun does not make the man - it's the man holding it. Maybe driving a GS350 at age 22 was a very irresponsible thing to do but now that I am 25 I'm definitely a different person now -- with new values and new perspectives.

So this reflection brings me to the present - I hardly speed or drive erratic anymore. However, I get a lot of people tailgating me and then some would even go as far as cutting me off, acting like they want to run me off the road for driving the speed limit. Wow makes me angry What's up their @$$? Given my history it's hard not to respond to these damned drivers.

But the positives of all of this...I do enjoy driving my car. It's understated luxury and that's what I enjoy more than flash. Right now i drive about 100 miles per day roundtrip for work and its a wonderful car that gets me there safely, in style and comfort.

-GS350 owner for possibly another 4 months.

As you can see i havent removed my tint. It's not the same without the tint!

Last edited by bs0dxi; 01-07-11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 11:00 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

wow thats a lot of tickets in less than a year span. ive only been pulled over twice in my GS and ive owned it for about 3 years now.
Old 01-07-11, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting post good that you are different now and more responsible though with that said, driving responsibly can still be fun (and speeding can still be part of it). i hard drive below 70 in any of my cars, but at the same time i don't go 90 very often anymore either.

it's a funny thing as well. when i drive my gs, it does seem like more people want to challenge me. random people that is. i don't know if it's the car, or that it's modded. people cut me off, not allow me into their lanes, tailgate, race, etc... you name it. usually i ignore them, though i admit sometimes they just have to see what i am capable of (both the car and me as a driver). interesting enough, when i am driving my m3, most people simply just get away. and i am not even trying.

i also leased the gs350 but ended up buying it out after the lease. i am still wondering if it's the right choice (from an application point of view). but value wise, i think the car is worth it for sure.

enjoy the car in the last 4 months!! any other possible choices you are considering? one thing to keep in mind (and something i asked myself too when i bought the car). the new gs will come out soon, by then the current generation will take a dump.
Old 01-07-11, 11:14 AM
bs0dxi
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
wow thats a lot of tickets in less than a year span. ive only been pulled over twice in my GS and ive owned it for about 3 years now.
Haha I know that period would be considered my "dark ages"
Old 01-07-11, 11:19 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Yeah same, I've been pulled over once for driving 80MPH in a 35MPH zone and that was about it, I've learrned my lesson after that ticket price $210 good thing I protested it cause I wasn't trying to tarnish my good record, speeding is fun and exhilirating but very unsafe
Old 01-07-11, 11:26 AM
bs0dxi
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting post good that you are different now and more responsible though with that said, driving responsibly can still be fun (and speeding can still be part of it). i hard drive below 70 in any of my cars, but at the same time i don't go 90 very often anymore either.

it's a funny thing as well. when i drive my gs, it does seem like more people want to challenge me. random people that is. i don't know if it's the car, or that it's modded. people cut me off, not allow me into their lanes, tailgate, race, etc... you name it. usually i ignore them, though i admit sometimes they just have to see what i am capable of (both the car and me as a driver). interesting enough, when i am driving my m3, most people simply just get away. and i am not even trying.

i also leased the gs350 but ended up buying it out after the lease. i am still wondering if it's the right choice (from an application point of view). but value wise, i think the car is worth it for sure.

enjoy the car in the last 4 months!! any other possible choices you are considering? one thing to keep in mind (and something i asked myself too when i bought the car). the new gs will come out soon, by then the current generation will take a dump.
Thanks. You know the changing aspect (of oneself) had to come sooner or later for me- I couldn't have survived driving with such a reckless mentality. As you can imagine the court fines, insurance rate hikes, and lawyer fees were all part of the motivation for change.

Aha so I am not alone - I guess people look at modded cars or cars tinted up and they automatically assume it's up for the challenge. Despicable. But you're right - just ignore them. You're also right about M3. I also stay far from it

As far as next car, the 4GS definitely has my interest...in the meantime I might be looking into SUV next. I liked the Cayenne until this year's model showed up. I also like the new Range Rover and RX hybrid.
Old 01-07-11, 12:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to speed, there is a mature way of doing it. You should read up on what some of the leading street rally drivers have written - guidelines both on safety and on ticket avoidance. Safety is critical. If you kill someone it will ruin your life too.

Also having the right equipment is key. In most metro areas lidar accounts for at least 50% of tickets and lidar does not deflect - so if your V1 picks it up it means the officer already knows your speed. Also radar detectors don't pick up speed cameras. Getting equipment to address these challenges can get pretty expensive.
Old 01-07-11, 12:06 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

70 isn't speeding. if U gonna speed do it right and go....... U know.

Anyway, I do speed limit too. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-07-11, 01:27 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
Maybe driving a GS350 at age 22 was a very irresponsible thing to do but now that I am 25 I'm definitely a different person now -- with new values and new perspectives.

As you can see i havent removed my tint. It's not the same without the tint!
wow i bought my GS same time as you did,,def my values and outlook on life changed as well past few years,,,far as speeding tickets, i got few past years but lucky enough to beat that in court due to police not showing up,,,almost forgot about ticket for tinted windows as well,,,
Old 01-07-11, 01:38 PM
bs0dxi
Driver

batman, i've never heard of lidar --seems very effective. I have heard of police employing radar that detects jammers though.

LIMS, haha funny what a few tickets can do - did you end up removing your tint? I was able to convince my doctor to write a note for medical necessity (valid reason, of course).
Old 01-07-11, 01:57 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

^^^
no still got the tint,,no way im removin them,,,can u let me know what medical reason covers dark tinted wondow?? haaha
Old 01-07-11, 02:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
batman, i've never heard of lidar --seems very effective. I have heard of police employing radar that detects jammers though.
Lidar is laser speed enforcement. When a radar detector detects laser, that is lidar.

Police can't detect laser jammers. Laser jammers would appear identical to the Infiniti intelligent cruise control. And they're not illegal because they work on the basis of a non-visible light pulse.

Radar jammers would be illegal because they broadcast on FCC radio frequencies, but such products don't actually exist.

The detection device that police use is called Spectre and Spectre detects radar detectors in states where radar detector use is illegal (e.g. Virginia). However some radar detectors are shielded so as to be invisible to Spectre. Most are not.
Old 01-07-11, 02:28 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

How does the laser jammer works? Laser use light to detect your speed and it's so fast that it's almost instant. The jammer have to emit some laser like light back to do the disruption and since the jammer don't know where the source is located it have to emit a very wide range which make it almost useless.

Anyway... idk so mainly I'm asking how does the laser jammer work?
Old 01-07-11, 02:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by worker
How does the laser jammer works? Laser use light to detect your speed and it's so fast that it's almost instant. The jammer have to emit some laser like light back to do the disruption and since the jammer don't know where the source is located it have to emit a very wide range which make it almost useless.

Anyway... idk so mainly I'm asking how does the laser jammer work?
Google is your friend.
Old 01-07-11, 09:04 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

interesting.... w o wzers

Quick Reply: The car that changed me: Thoughts, Rants, and Soliloquies