GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Quick brake question while in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 04:48 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Funny you mention the slide to the right. A month into owning the car I almost ended up rear ending someone but the front of the car went off to the right and hit the curb instead. I know exactly what you are referring to.
That's exactly what happened to me twice when the car slided to right and I wanted to turn to the left or to go straight. The car hit the snow embankment instead. The other time at the T-intersection, the car just kept sliding to the right onto the main street. Luckily no oncoming cars.
You are right about the high idle when this happened.
Old 01-17-11, 07:34 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
That's exactly what happened to me twice when the car slided to right and I wanted to turn to the left or to go straight. The car hit the snow embankment instead. The other time at the T-intersection, the car just kept sliding to the right onto the main street. Luckily no oncoming cars.
You are right about the high idle when this happened.
I encourage you, and everyone else that has experienced this, to submit a complaint at the link below. This is the only way Toyota is going to do anything about it – might just be a software fix.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 02-03-11, 05:44 PM
colosilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my wife confirmed that the rears keep pushing with the front locked up. Dangerous as heck. I'm starting to feel like these GS's aren't the greatest.
Of course, then I look at the other makes with tranny and electrical problems and think maybe it isn't so bad.

I also just thought about the fact that turning right and getting on the throttle hard causes the car to go into some sort of protective engine braking type mode. If you floor it, forget it...it is like the cars slams on reverse thrusters or something. I've been pulling into heavy highway traffic and went to hammer it and the car just falls on its face.

What the hell is it with right turns...snow or dry?????

Anyone else?
Old 02-04-11, 05:58 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

happened to me last winter. Downhill, snow covered roads. Pop into N trick resolves the issue.

@ colosilver - likely TRAC engaging if in dry. You'll see the light flash on the dash and the car pulls power & uses ABS to allow you to regain traction. Are you on runflats? I noticed that RF equipped cars exhibited this behavior much or than ones with A/S or summer tires. Car is trying to save you from putting it in a ditch or spinning by engaging TRAC.
Old 02-04-11, 06:10 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can floor it turning any which way and the car never tries to stop me. Only time trac kicks in for me is if I make a sharp turn flooring it from a stop on an icy road and start moving laterally, it might trac for a split second to straighten me out (which usually is exactly what I want). Even the Xi2 tires can't stop lateral sliding on icy/slushy roads completely. I can't say that it's ever enabled trac in any situation that I didn't feel was warranted. AWD, though.
Old 02-04-11, 07:04 AM
colosilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running on some sorta Mastercraft tires. I will replace them with the Bridestones if I keep the car.

I admit that I don't look at the gauges when it happens...cuz I'm busy crapping myself and hoping I don't get hit.
I've learned to just sit and wait and not care if people behind me get mad. I don't ever turn on any of the modes on the console. I did once and they seemed to make things worse. So this is all happening in "stock" form.

On snow, I hear the 4 rapid beeps. I can be just turning in our subdivision of snow and it seems to kick in quicker that way than if I intentionally try to fishtail it.

Today I made the same kid of turn going left on snowpack, and it behaved more like I'd expect. No grinding the car to an almost stop. Just the quick beeps, straight and kept going. I was testing it out. I've been able to actually fishtail and spin a 180 to the left while I was testing it on snowpack.

I'll have to test it from a straight line on dry pavement to see what it does if I floor it. I don't stoplight GrandPrix or NHRA it.
Can these systems affect the steering as far as if I am in a lane that is wet with a random packed snow patches? I felt like I really had to counter steer the car on the way to work the other day. I went to change lanes and it really wanted to resist.
I could be hyper-sensitive now...

I did file a complaint online because I wonder if this is a wider spread issue. Maybe it is just my car.

Last edited by colosilver; 02-04-11 at 07:08 AM.