GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

got hit by tourist today,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 06:03 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default got hit by tourist today,,

i was at the mall parking lot waiting someone to pull out and next thing i know someone just hit me in the rear,,,guess the guy didnt see me when he was pulling out,,he came out starting to apologize and crying at the same time(very odd to see grown man cry middle of the day), he told me he was in Orlando for vacation but he didnt speak English very well,,tried to call the cops but they told me since nobody is hurt and damage is not serious just call the mall security,,,few min after mall security came out fill out the paperwork and we went our separate ways,,,my only concern is that since this was other person's fault and this guy is leaving tomorrow im little worried that things might get complicated,,,he promised me that he would tell his rental company when hes returning his car tomorrow but who knows,,,

Old 01-13-11, 06:11 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That sucks. I'm sure there are channels in place for these kinds of problems through rental companies. The guy sounds like he'll do the right thing.
Old 01-13-11, 06:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the rental contract to see if he had insurance on it? Would be indicated by "LDW - Accepted"? If it said LDW - declined, you may be in trouble unless his credit card provides insurance.
Old 01-13-11, 06:18 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, I hope he is going to give an accurate statement to the rental company so they can get started on the claim.
Old 01-13-11, 06:23 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Did you check the rental contract to see if he had insurance on it? Would be indicated by "LDW - Accepted"? If it said LDW - declined, you may be in trouble unless his credit card provides insurance.
I don't know how it is down there but my personal car insurance covers me in rental vehicles as well.
Old 01-13-11, 06:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Regardless your insurance should take care of it worse case. If he rented the car they should have some means of getting a hold of him
Old 01-13-11, 06:42 PM
ESU1909
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn!!!!! I hate to see stuff like that.
Old 01-13-11, 06:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I don't know how it is down there but my personal car insurance covers me in rental vehicles as well.
That's true here too. But generally personal car insurance doesn't cover you in a foreign country. This guy sounds like a foreign tourist from the lack of English capability he mentioned.

But either way, if the rental car company doesn't pony up, most people have uninsured motorist coverage.

Interesting story - but the guy who I sold my BMW to, told me he got hit by a bunch of drunk college girls, and the BMW was totaled. He didn't have uninsured motorist coverage, the girl driving only had $10k of property damage on her policy, so he ended up losing a lot of money. He could sue, but a college girl has no assets to go after.

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-13-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 07:03 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

actually the guy is from Brazil and he did have car insurance through his rental company,,,just dont like the fact he is leaving tomorrow morning,,pretty sure his rental company wants hear from his side as well,,,i had witness and everything but they were tourist as well ,,,
Old 01-13-11, 07:05 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LIMS407
actually the guy is from Brazil and he did have car insurance through his rental company,,,just dont like the fact he is leaving tomorrow morning,,pretty sure his rental company wants hear from his side as well,,,i had witness and everything but they were tourist as well ,,,
I think you'll be fine then. I think he will claim responsibility to the insurance company - it's not like you can lose no-claims discount on rental car insurance.

Plus its pretty obvious from where the damage is on your car that he must have driven into you.
Old 01-13-11, 07:14 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
That sucks. I'm sure there are channels in place for these kinds of problems through rental companies. The guy sounds like he'll do the right thing.
Don't trust others to do the right thing, YOU should do the right thing and follow proper procedures.

Rental usually have information on the key, and the paper work he fill out should be with him too. Collect as much info as you can because after this what you have is all you have.

I even know people who got hit and run, than the person whom did the hitting came back report that they got hit. Luckily the court have enough evidences to see who did the hitting.
Old 01-13-11, 07:15 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LIMS407
The guy did the report is your best "witness".
Old 01-13-11, 07:25 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish you luck...I'm sure it feels weird that a foreigner hit you and is leaving. Worst case, you'll insurance will handle it and eat the cost.
Old 01-13-11, 07:30 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I think once you report it to your insurance it showed be handled as long as you were not at fault. You might get a call from rental company though!
Old 01-13-11, 09:35 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The liability insurance coverage is ALWAYS included with a rental car in US. It is mandatory. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since the mall security was involved, the Brazilian dude can't say that it never happened or something like that.

Quick Reply: got hit by tourist today,,