GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why do people key cars????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 01:01 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why do people key cars????

My GS450h got keyed last week and I'm pretty pissed. I have no idea when it occurred, but I've managed to isolate the location of the keying to 2 places: a grocery store in a more ghetto area in Tucson, AZ or the fitness center parking lot I work out at almost daily.

It's pretty disappointing to know that someone would be so cold-blooded as to walk up to my car and do this. I spend alot of money on my car, and I put alot of time into waxing it and taking care of it, so it's disheartening to know that some coward can cause me to have to come out of pocket like this by just walking up and sliding a key down the side of it. My car has been in the shop for about 6 days now and I'm having the key marks sanded down and resprayed. Additionally I'm having my rear trunk spoiler installed.

What am I supposed to do to prevent this from happening again? I don't drive my car to garner attention, I drive it because I like everything about the way the car looks and feels. Unfortunately, the car cannot be driven without attracting attention (especially since I slapped on the Vossen's and lowered it) and sadly alot of the attention I get are haters and jealous dudes who probably wish it was their car. This experience has honestly caused me to consider selling my Lexus, selling my rims, and buying something a little lower profile. Maybe I'd take the money I save from selling it and turn my wife's GX470 into an off-roader. Or maybe I'd buy an older SC300 and turn it into a Supra with a Lexus badge. Honestly though guys, the thought of someone doing something like this to my car disgusts me. Considering all the time and effort and love I pour into this car, just to have it sit out in a parking lot and be a target for a some punk.
Old 01-16-11, 01:13 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ouch that sucks. i feel ya. i got keyed too.
the whole passenger side from front to back
Old 01-16-11, 01:27 AM
bigwasum
Rookie

haters man, haters
Old 01-16-11, 01:38 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5t341th
ouch that sucks. i feel ya. i got keyed too.
the whole passenger side from front to back
hmmm....that's exactly where mine was keyed too....passenger side all the way from the back to the front (all 4 panels needed respray).
Luckily I have a hookup who can do it for a reasonable price, but I don't want to make a habit of having to get my car resprayed every 3 months.
Old 01-16-11, 07:10 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know but if I saw someone do that, I might key their eyeballs. Or at least I would photograph them and call the police. If they leave it then becomes hit and run.
Old 01-16-11, 07:41 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

that sucks and I would def. be pissed but like somone said above there are haters and you really can't judge who will do this. it sucks !
Old 01-16-11, 08:18 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwasum
haters man, haters
yep, and could be his x too.

they need to have security camera to record these stuff.
Old 01-16-11, 08:25 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** like that makes me fkn sick....we put so much time and effort into our cars and stupid ****** have nothing better to do....i dont know what would **** me off more...someone breaking into my car or keying it...
Old 01-16-11, 08:25 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Their parents couldn't get them what you paid out your pockets.

Dara
Old 01-16-11, 10:32 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear this man..........People really have no F**cking sence

and there jealous
Old 01-16-11, 10:43 AM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by your post, i assume you dont drive like an asshat cutting people off all the time, and just being a **** in general but some people will follow you and then key you to get back at you. On the other hand you may not have been targeted at all, some people just feel the need to ruin things and do it for the "rush" of vandalism usually younger 10-20 ish but not excluding other age ranges.

Im sorry to hear about it happening, check your insurance it might be covered
Old 01-16-11, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Sorry to hear, keying is just lame and should be a Federal offense. Did you double park? Any enemies?

Damn haters..

Old 01-16-11, 10:53 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

That really sucks Ricky. Like some have posted they are just haters.
Old 01-16-11, 11:00 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

People do a lot of things that they shouldn't do. Just to put a silver lining on this, if that unstable person had the choice between keying your car and knifing you in the parking lot to satisfy themselves at least they chose to use their keys.
Old 01-16-11, 11:00 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sucks that this happened to you, definitely an enemy of ppl who take frustration/hatred out on a vehicle.

once u respray...i would suggest installing some "clear bra" film down the side of the car. i've done this from the fender to the rear quarter panel on both sides at home to my sisters G37, as it's leased, and will surely prevent the majority of unnecessary nicks/scratches a car can get throughout it's life. a roll of film is somewhat costly, but is worth it IMO and I barely used half of the roll completing my sis's vehicle.

best of luck with it!

Quick Reply: Why do people key cars????