GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone add LED daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11 | 04:09 PM
Ken300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone add LED daytime running lights

Thinking of adding some of these daytime running lights (LED) to my recent purchase (2006 GS300). I'm curious if anyone has tried these (there are several kits available on eBay). If someone has successfully done this upgrade I wanted to get details on how you wired them up.
Here's a bad mockup of my car and the potential location I might use (next to fogs):

Ken

Last edited by Ken300; 01-19-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-18-11 | 09:53 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about doing this also. But I am going to get these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0UNQkzop8Q
Old 01-18-11 | 10:55 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there are 5 or 10 threads about this DRL LED. Do Search and U get instant answer.
Old 01-19-11 | 06:49 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm thinking about doing this also. But I am going to get these.
These Hella Dayline DRLs look very good. Much more reasonably priced than the Vaistech VlineII LED DRL.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-19-11 | 07:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do these kits come with plug and play relays that can pass through existing factory harness without cutting anything or affecting existing lighting?
Old 01-19-11 | 07:18 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys really want to do this? This is a AUDI gimmick. No different from the BMW 5 series angel-eyes from the last series.

Why copy an Audi or Beemer?
Old 01-19-11 | 07:50 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paoloveg
Do you guys really want to do this? This is a AUDI gimmick. No different from the BMW 5 series angel-eyes from the last series.

Why copy an Audi or Beemer?
Actually a lot of cars have LED strip drls now. Mercedes, Hyundai, Porsche, Volkswagen, and some of the 2011 Lexus models (IS, LS).
Old 01-19-11 | 09:00 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Do these kits come with plug and play relays that can pass through existing factory harness without cutting anything or affecting existing lighting?
I was planning on replacing my fog lights with these and then wiring a relay to turn them on with the parking lights.

Or even simply replacing the fog lights alone.
Old 01-19-11 | 09:16 AM
skim07
Driver

oh god, not this **** again... you should get angel eyes as well for low beam and fog lights. put a LED strip inside the headlight like what this guy did. might as well go all out right

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ight=led+strip

Last edited by skim07; 01-19-11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-19-11 | 10:35 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skim07
oh god, not this **** again... you should get angel eyes as well for low beam and fog lights. put a LED strip inside the headlight like what this guy did. might as well go all out right

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ight=led+strip
How is this constructive? Perhaps you should restrain your comments to a thread that is looking for them.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:04 AM
Ken300
Rookie

I'm thinking about doing this also. But I am going to get these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0UNQkzop8Q
Wow, there's a big difference in price...
These from eBay are about $60, Is this one of those instances where you get what you pay for or maybe these lower cost options are nearly as good?

I realize this sort of thing is not for everyone's taste but I do enjoy doing a few simple mods to make my car a little different than the next one out there.
Ken
Old 01-19-11 | 11:13 AM
LexFather

Surely the next GS will have them. The IS and LS have them now. They are going to be required in Europe as a safety measure so cars sold there will all have them.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:31 AM
skim07
Driver

How is this constructive? Perhaps you should restrain your comments to a thread that is looking for them.
Its constructive in a way that I'm saving him from being made fun of. Don't tell anybody to restrain their comments. This is a public forum where I can make any reasonable comments or state my opinions as I wish. If you don't like that, pretend you wasted 10seconds reading the post and just move on. Add on LED strips are ricey as hell. GS is a classy looking car, no need to go NOPI civic on it. That's the bottom line.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:40 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skim07
Its constructive in a way that I'm saving him from being made fun of. Don't tell anybody to restrain their comments. This is a public forum where I can make any reasonable comments or state my opinions as I wish. If you don't like that, pretend you wasted 10seconds reading the post and just move on. Add on LED strips are ricey as hell. GS is a classy looking car, no need to go NOPI civic on it. That's the bottom line.
wow...uncalled for. The poster asked for details on wiring and if anyone had done this before. He did not ask for your opinion on him or people who do this. This inturn is a type of personal attack, which is uncalled for.

Though it's a public forum, the mods generally request that you be curtious and kind to other members and not make comments such as "I'm saving him from being made fun of" or that you believe it's "ricey as hell." Perhaps only by you. You don't even own a GS and you're telling him that his is ricey and he's going to be made fun of by modding his. LEDs are taistful if done correctly, which is what he was asking.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:43 AM
LexFather

Gentleman please agree to disagree and move on. If you don't like the LEDs and stated your point no need to rehash over and over here. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone add LED daytime running lights