GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Daytime Running Lights and High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 07:14 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/194-LED-Re...-p/280003w.htm

For fog lights look up the XenonDepot HID kits at the same link above. I have the Xtreme 3000K in my fogs.

I'm very happy with both of these so far.
These bulbs are pretty good. Also better to buy on Amazon with free shipping then to buy from Canada and pay for shipping.

Are the Putco Nova Nichia bulbs much brighter than the Putco 360s? What about the Putco neutrons?

Also what is the best to maximize the light, a directional bulb that point a straight out, a stick bulb which directs light down into reflector, or a 360 bulb?

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-20-11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 09:44 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexinTex71
Worker,

Thanks for the pic....what bulb are you using for the PL? That is the look I want. At least at night, when the lights are more visible, the look with LED and xenon will look more consistent. I also would like to get the fog lights too.

Thanks.
fog was oem.

the PL was LED 6000K color I bought from ebay for cheap, still working still.

the headlight was 6000K HID also but after I go back to 4300K oem it was a lot better so I'm sticking with OEM.
Old 01-21-11, 04:28 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Are the Putco Nova Nichia bulbs much brighter than the Putco 360s? What about the Putco neutrons?

This PDF from Putco shows the brightness levels as well as relative cost, bulb types, and colors. Looks like for brightness: 360 < Nova < Neutron < Silver Bullet.

http://www.putco.com/documents/WhyLEDSpr-2011nd.pdf

Not sure on the best light type (directional vs all around to use the projector), but I may order a couple of types and see what looks and works best.

I know the high power reverse lights I installed were FAR superior to OEM both in brightness and color clarity.
Old 01-21-11, 05:38 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
This PDF from Putco shows the brightness levels as well as relative cost, bulb types, and colors. Looks like for brightness: 360 < Nova < Neutron < Silver Bullet.

http://www.putco.com/documents/WhyLEDSpr-2011nd.pdf

Not sure on the best light type (directional vs all around to use the projector), but I may order a couple of types and see what looks and works best.

I know the high power reverse lights I installed were FAR superior to OEM both in brightness and color clarity.
What reverse lights did you get? I have the highest power V-LEDs, and they look amazing, they're very bright, but color clarity in rv camera is not great.
Old 01-21-11, 05:48 AM
justlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chancellor
Here is all 6k for example....

so assuming i want a setup like this , do you mind listing the parts i need to buy, i always get confused looking to the different websites selling HID bulbs and kits
Old 01-21-11, 06:06 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

These bulbs are pretty good. Also better to buy on Amazon with free shipping then to buy from Canada and pay for shipping.

Also what is the best to maximize the light, a directional bulb that point a straight out, a stick bulb which directs light down into reflector, or a 360 bulb?
Neurons are MUCH more expensive and I don't believe they have a 194 application (even if they did they appear they would be too large to fit in the PL holes).

I have tried both the 360s and moved on to the Nichia bulbs and the Nichia bulbs are much brighter and a lot less blue tinged to boot. It's counter intuitive since the 360 bulbs have so many more LEDs but most of the LEDs are wasted in our reflector and all of them are much lower power.

Overall I would say don't bother with the 360s, especially if you're trying to get a closer match to the lowbeams. I would say the 360s are close to 7000K and the Nichia ones are fairly close to 5000K - just a tad bluer than the factory 4300k after being warmed up.

I believe the Putco bulbs are shipped out from the US even if you buy them from XenonDepot here in Canada. The only thing I can add about paying for shipping from XenonDepot vs going through Amazon is that you'll get much better service if you ever have problems with them and need to utilize the lifetime warranty.
Old 01-21-11, 07:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I believe the Putco bulbs are shipped out from the US even if you buy them from XenonDepot here in Canada. The only thing I can add about paying for shipping from XenonDepot vs going through Amazon is that you'll get much better service if you ever have problems with them and need to utilize the lifetime warranty.
I don't know. I'm a bit skeptical. When one of my xenondepot fogs failed within 3 months of purchase, I called in. They told me that in 90% of instances the warranty issue is actually customer related, and that in such instances I would be charged $45 to cover shipping costs, plus I have to pay the local guy for removal and re-install. That doesn't sound like a no hassle warranty process to me. Rather than risk wasting money and time, I just bought a new set locally from an established shop who offered lifetime warranty on parts and labor, and I haven't had issues since.

I think you're pretty much on your own after the purchase either way. I'd buy from XD if they have a good price, or a product Amazon doesn't sell (like the silver bullet 194 bulb).

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-21-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 08:40 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know. I'm a bit skeptical. When one of my xenondepot fogs failed within 3 months of purchase, I called in. They told me that in 90% of instances the warranty issue is actually customer related, and that in such instances I would be charged $45 to cover shipping costs, plus I have to pay the local guy for removal and re-install. That doesn't sound like a no hassle warranty process to me. Rather than risk wasting money and time, I just bought a new set locally from an established shop who offered lifetime warranty on parts and labor, and I haven't had issues since.

I think you're pretty much on your own after the purchase either way. I'd buy from XD if they have a good price, or a product Amazon doesn't sell (like the silver bullet 194 bulb).
Sorry to hear about that experience with your fogs. I've had nothing but positive experiences with getting support from them. I did have an issue with my fogs sometimes not igniting on startup, and they did offer to help me out if I did indeed try everything to solve it and had no luck which I thought was fair.

First, I redid my install using the included harnesses which I was too lazy to do when I first installed them. That didn't seem to do it, which lead me to checking the battery which the local auto parts store's machine reported had a pretty low CCA rating. Decided that since the battery was over 5 years old at this point I didn't mind just replacing it to be sure that it wasn't the issue.

It seems, so far, that was the problem - I guess it didn't have enough juice to get everything properly going while turning the starter. Problem has gone away (knock on wood) ever since I put the new battery in. I never did get to the point of desperation where I needed to ask for new ballasts.
Old 01-21-11, 09:32 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

after this long, xenon bulbs are still so expensive
Old 01-21-11, 10:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about that experience with your fogs. I've had nothing but positive experiences with getting support from them. I did have an issue with my fogs sometimes not igniting on startup, and they did offer to help me out if I did indeed try everything to solve it and had no luck which I thought was fair.

First, I redid my install using the included harnesses which I was too lazy to do when I first installed them. That didn't seem to do it, which lead me to checking the battery which the local auto parts store's machine reported had a pretty low CCA rating. Decided that since the battery was over 5 years old at this point I didn't mind just replacing it to be sure that it wasn't the issue.

It seems, so far, that was the problem - I guess it didn't have enough juice to get everything properly going while turning the starter. Problem has gone away (knock on wood) ever since I put the new battery in. I never did get to the point of desperation where I needed to ask for new ballasts.
I think there is something fundamentally wrong with their value proposition. There are established (as in 20+ years old) car electronics shops here who will sell you a xenon kit installed with lifetime warranty on parts and labour for the same price as the cheaper version of the xenon depot kit. No need to worry about trouble shooting etc.

I think the HIDxtra guys have a better value proposition since their xenon kit is $40 and since we have that in one of our cars too, I can say it has lasted a lot longer than my XD kit. At $40 you can save a few bucks and install yourself. At $120 you are better off going to the local shop.
Old 01-21-11, 11:30 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

What reverse lights did you get? I have the highest power V-LEDs, and they look amazing, they're very bright, but color clarity in rv camera is not great.
pretty sure we got the same ones. They were the $50 or $60 from V-LED. nighttime color is kind of wonky in the rear display, but they throw off a much whiter light than the stock bulbs.
Old 01-21-11, 12:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
pretty sure we got the same ones. They were the $50 or $60 from V-LED. nighttime color is kind of wonky in the rear display, but they throw off a much whiter light than the stock bulbs.
Yes the same ones. They look very cool.
Old 01-21-11, 01:53 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

My LED was about $5. Still works great.
Old 01-21-11, 03:05 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justlex
so assuming i want a setup like this , do you mind listing the parts i need to buy, i always get confused looking to the different websites selling HID bulbs and kits
Your going to pay for the bulbs I got just a FYI.

DRL LEDs - V-LEDS 6K HID WHITE LED
You will not have high beams if you get these. If you live in the country I dont recommend. - http://www.v-leds.com You will also have to buy the wire harness with these or they will be very dim and flicker.

Low beams HIDs - 6000K Garax bulbs. Do a search forget where I got these. But they sell them everywhere.

Parking HIDs - 6000K HID bulbs. Forget which ones I got but got them from http://www.v-leds.com also.

Fog HID - 6000K - 9006 Individual Tuning Accessories - I bought this kit new from a friend.

Check your owners manual for all the bulb sizes I only recall the Fogs off hand.

Last edited by Chancellor; 01-21-11 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-21-11, 03:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by justlex
You need the following
1) 6k D4S xenon bulbs
2) Putco Nova White LED bulbs or VLED 6K LEDs in 194 size
3) 6k HID conversion kit 9006 size
3)

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights and High Beams