GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Daytime Running Lights and High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 04:53 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights and High Beams

I noticed that the DRL and the HBs come from the same spot (either side of grille). The DRL really bother me...they are an ugly, dingy yellow. I understand that they operate at a reduced level. But i was also shocked to see that mine come on even when the headlights are on!!!! So those beautiful xenons are spoiled by that dingy yellowness.

The dingy lights remind me of my first car, a 1984 Volvo 244 DL...my alternator was going out, and my lights would shine this dingy yellow.

What I would like to know is, can I turn them off? perhaps upgrade them(i love the LED license plate lights), or at least find a way to turn them off when the reg. headlights are on. I am hoping they are not the same bulb....but arent the high beams xenon too?

My wife has an Infiniti G37 that has both low and high beam xenon.
Old 01-20-11, 04:58 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dealer can turn off the DRL for you. if U did the search you will know that and many other features that dealer can set for you.
Old 01-20-11, 04:59 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DRLs are not on when the lowbeams are on. Only the parking light (tiny bulb in the corner) comes on with the lowbeams. This bulb is EASILY replaceable with something really bright and white like the Putco Nichia bulbs available through Xenondepot.

Highbeams are halogens and the highbeam and DRL are the same bulb. I don't know of any cars that use anything but halogens for highbeams?
Old 01-20-11, 05:07 PM
tryitonce
Rookie

I currently have HID high and low beam..also HID fogs
Old 01-20-11, 05:17 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the replies...

I am almost sure my DRLs were on today with the low beams on too. I will go out and take some pics after I put my two year old down for the night.

Tryit, you seem to have a pretty good setup....I think I could live with it like that.

As far as xenon high beams, I think the G37 has both high and low...I will take a pic of those as well. I cant tell the difference between the color when I switch on the G37, but on my GS, there is def a difference. Ill post the two pics in a bit.
Old 01-20-11, 05:34 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

On my car the DRL is most definitely off when the lowbeams are on. The only thing in that housing that remains on when the lowbeams are on are the parking lights.
Old 01-20-11, 06:13 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok...here are the pics

Ok...I confirmed that wife's Infiniti G37 has low AND high beam Xenon lights. The pic of the Infiniti is with the high beams.

The pic of my Lexus is with low beams on.....hard to tell, but the dingy yellow lights are on in the high beam case - although looking closely, I see that there are two bulbs in there(one for HB, one for DRL)... And, yes, for some reason my DRL are on with the low beams and foglights on????
Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Lights and High Beams-infiniti.jpg   Daytime Running Lights and High Beams-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-20-11, 06:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are wrong. The drl is same bulb as the high beam. That other bulb is called a parking light, and it is on at same time as the low beam.

Parking light is easily replaced with an led which will match the low beam.

The drl is the high beam running on low power. When the high beam runs on low power the filament glows orange instead of white, which is why the drl looks horrible. Unfortunately there is no way around this except for the dealer to switch off the DRL so it is light free during the day. If you do this th parking light will still operate.
The following users liked this post:
qoner (09-18-21)
Old 01-20-11, 06:23 PM
LexFather

There are dozens of people who added a LED DRL (replaced the high beam) or had them turned off no biggie. The G37 uses the same DRL methology, the high beam is one at a low percentage. This is two different things here. One is DRL which is lights off, high beam is on, at a low wattage and the other is high beam on, HID in the G37, not in the GS. You can simply add a HID bulb in the GS high beam.
Old 01-20-11, 06:27 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my GS430 with the low beam on and you can see the little lights without DRL. This is a shot showing LED vs OEM.
Old 01-20-11, 06:30 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok...thanks

Thanks for clarifying. So I need to change out the PL with LEDs...anyone have a recommendation for this? That problem is solved.

As for the high beam on mine, how expensive is it to add the HB xenon bulbs? I guess I will have to go to the dealer to have the DRLs turned off. Its interesting that the Infiniti does not have DRLs. I guess they come from the factory with the option set to have them off, or at least ours did...we have had it since new.
Old 01-20-11, 06:32 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Worker,

Thanks for the pic....what bulb are you using for the PL? That is the look I want. At least at night, when the lights are more visible, the look with LED and xenon will look more consistent. I also would like to get the fog lights too.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-11, 06:33 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexinTex71
Thanks for clarifying. So I need to change out the PL with LEDs...anyone have a recommendation for this? That problem is solved.

As for the high beam on mine, how expensive is it to add the HB xenon bulbs? I guess I will have to go to the dealer to have the DRLs turned off. Its interesting that the Infiniti does not have DRLs. I guess they come from the factory with the option set to have them off, or at least ours did...we have had it since new.
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/194-LED-Re...-p/280003w.htm

For fog lights look up the XenonDepot HID kits at the same link above. I have the Xtreme 3000K in my fogs.

I'm very happy with both of these so far.
Old 01-20-11, 06:45 PM
LexFather

In our vendor forum you can buy bulbs pretty cheap, $80 I think for the Garax bulbs. Phillips are more expensive, I think $200 or so.
Old 01-20-11, 06:46 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is all 6k for example....

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights and High Beams