GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Seen the Chevy Malibu ad with the GS next door ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 01:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I know it's real. I think it is the implementation of the wood that looks questionable. If you compare GS to LS, in LS it looks like wood is a core part of the interior design. In GS, it looks like somebody said, "How can we make this look less Toyota, I know let's slap some wood here and there".

i don't mind. it takes more than just a few pieces of wood to make an interior luxurious.

you won't find our seats or leather in a toyota.
the only thing that cheapens the look is the silver painted piece around the nav screen + a/c controls.

Old 01-26-11, 04:19 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If more wood is better, then this must have been the most expensive car ever made.

Old 01-27-11, 08:19 AM
LexFather

I've driven a rented Malibu LTZ and it is a great car and Camry competition. Review below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...alibu-ltz.html

Wood is a personal thing. I don't need the feel of a forest in every car. I like the sculpted wood in the GS on the doors and on the console and the steering wheel. Maybe a little glossy for my liking but I always get compliments on it.

In a sports sedan like the GS I prefer less wood. In a full luxury car like the LS I would expect more wood.
Old 01-27-11, 02:09 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I had another great idea for a Toyota ad. They should take apart a Malibu and make the point that since GM pays the unions 2X the money to build the car, what are the things they have to sacrifice to save money. Then show how Toyota does it right in the Camry.

I love Lexus' "The Hard Way is the Only Way" campaign btw.
i do hate that when I see any toyota thats fuly loaded the Wood looks fake is fake and when I get in my lexus I begin to see the mistakes Lexus makes with making there toyota brand look so similar to there luxury brand!
Old 01-27-11, 03:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
i do hate that when I see any toyota thats fuly loaded the Wood looks fake is fake and when I get in my lexus I begin to see the mistakes Lexus makes with making there toyota brand look so similar to there luxury brand!
Yeah that is my point. It ought to look totally different. Obviously the Lexus has real wood, and it has much better materials, but it does look like it is made by the same company.

Its worst for the 07 and earlier GS models - the shift gate in those cars looks identical to the one in the Camry.
Old 01-27-11, 03:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wood is a personal thing. I don't need the feel of a forest in every car. I like the sculpted wood in the GS on the doors and on the console and the steering wheel. Maybe a little glossy for my liking but I always get compliments on it.

In a sports sedan like the GS I prefer less wood. In a full luxury car like the LS I would expect more wood.
I used to have the belief in the past, back when I drove an e36 325i cabrio and it had no wood at all. I used to say "Wood is for living rooms, if you are a driver you want you car to be like a plane cockpit, not a living room"

But I think the market moved on. The use of dark woods like Anthracite, Black bamboo, piano wood, in sportier models from BMW, Mercedes and Audi looks both sporty and luxurious which is exactly what cars in this segment are supposed to be. To be honest I prefer that to the aluminum trim that some people spec in their M-Sport models. I would always go M-Sport and Anthracite wood.
Old 01-29-11, 06:44 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

saw the commerical for the first time yesterday, but I don't agree w/ *batman*. it looks absurd comparing Chevy agaisnt Lexus, it should have been a Camry in the other drive way. But the truth of the matter is, most people will have no clue what the other car (GS) is, because the GS is not known to the mainstream.
Old 01-29-11, 08:04 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
saw the commerical for the first time yesterday, but I don't agree w/ *batman*. it looks absurd comparing Chevy agaisnt Lexus, it should have been a Camry in the other drive way. But the truth of the matter is, most people will have no clue what the other car (GS) is, because the GS is not known to the mainstream.
I agree that it is absurd.

My point is just that it makes chevy buyers feel they are getting a great deal when the ad implies the car is comparable to a Lexus.

It's tricking the Chevy buyer into a false sense of value. The oldest trick in the marketing book.

It's the same thing as when Hyundai first launched the Genesis and were comparing it to the BMW 750i. It was absurd to compare an 85k car to a 40k car, but the people who bought it felt that they were getting a great deal compared with spending 40k on an ES350.
Old 01-30-11, 08:53 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

That commercial is ridiculous. The real douche bag is the guy pretending to peak at that Malibu when he has a GS in the driveway. If with a 2005 gs300 I would not be peaking at the rental car
Old 01-31-11, 01:14 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That commercial is ridiculous. The real douche bag is the guy pretending to peak at that Malibu when he has a GS in the driveway. If with a 2005 gs300 I would not be peaking at the rental car

ahah. it was a 2GS ?!

now i see what chevy is doing.

Just like they compared the Cruz with the ugly last generation hyundai elantra.

they're comparing their new cars with 6 year old models.
Old 01-31-11, 04:15 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
ahah. it was a 2GS ?!

now i see what chevy is doing.

Just like they compared the Cruz with the ugly last generation hyundai elantra.

they're comparing their new cars with 6 year old models.
No it was a 3GS, but like everyone said I knowI wouldn't turn to like at a Chevy Malibu, maybe a S63 AMG def. a Rolls Royce Ghost but naw never a Malibu just makes me laugh!
Old 02-09-11, 06:29 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chevy malice envy commercial

Saw a tv commercial tonight for the 2011Chevy Malibu. They showed a guy bqckingmout ofnhis drivewaybin a new Chevy Malibu and his neighbor in the driveway with a GS third gen in his driveway and they talk about Chevy envy or something like that. Yea...ok, I'd rather have a malibu......or NOT!

I am not saying anything bad about Chevy because I do believe they are building good product these days but please Chevy, comparing yourself to a car that is 20 grand more...I don't think so!
Old 02-09-11, 06:36 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Sorry about the typo. My darn iPad keeps teeing to correct malibu to malice! Hence the wrong post title.
Old 02-09-11, 06:42 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght=commercial
Old 02-09-11, 06:58 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If more wood is better, then this must have been the most expensive car ever made.

Lmao! Now that is funny!

Quick Reply: Seen the Chevy Malibu ad with the GS next door ?