GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Yet another GS recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 11:53 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at this point, the $70 worth of free gas (minus gas you have to fill in the loaner) is just not worth the trouble.

I got a crappy is250 loaner on my last trip. I'd rather have my gs.
Old 01-26-11, 12:09 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
at this point, the $70 worth of free gas (minus gas you have to fill in the loaner) is just not worth the trouble.

I got a crappy is250 loaner on my last trip. I'd rather have my gs.
Just schedule it to be inspected while you wait. I would be surprised if they couldn't get you in and out of there in less than half hour. Unless this sensor is located somewhere incredibly inconvenient, this recall just amounts to putting a crescent wrench on something and doing a quarter turn.
Old 01-26-11, 01:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Just schedule it to be inspected while you wait. I would be surprised if they couldn't get you in and out of there in less than half hour. Unless this sensor is located somewhere incredibly inconvenient, this recall just amounts to putting a crescent wrench on something and doing a quarter turn.

turns out this is a simple procedure. Just 1 hour tops for inspection, according to the lexus website. no open heart surgery.

no worries.

if it were gonna leak, it would have leaked by now, after almost 4 years.
Old 01-26-11, 02:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skim07
love it
Old 01-26-11, 04:14 PM
niteflite
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the symptoms of this? could this be what caused the smell of sulfur without any check engine light?

1. i just got my car back from the brake master cylinder recall last week.
2. it was @ the dealer a few months ago for the engine gasket caliper TSB.
3. i took it in for the sulfur smell but got rejected.
4. took in for a check engine light due to bad fuel cap.
5. and also for dash rattle.

all this during 18 months of ownership. and they didin't give me free gas when i took in for recall last week!
Old 01-26-11, 09:00 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That would explain why my 07 GS MPG couldn't get above 28 mpg on the highway after 2 years old. Now it could never go above 27 mpg.
I am talking about the MPG number shown on the gauge.
Good thing there has not any fire yet.
Old 01-26-11, 09:07 PM
PJ82ND
Driver School Candidate

k heres the deal guys straight from lexus to my tis

Via Overnight Mail
January 25, 2011
Subject: Safety Recall BLA – Preliminary Notice
Certain 2006 – 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 - Early 2009 IS 250 and 2006 – Early 2008 IS 350 Vehicles
Insufficient Tightening of the Fuel Pressure Sensor
Dear Dealer Principal:
On Wednesday, January 26, 2011, Lexus will file a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a Safety Recall on certain 2006 – 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 –
Early 2009 IS 250 and 2006 – Early 2008 IS 350 vehicles.
Due to insufficient tightening of the fuel pressure sensor connected to certain engine fuel delivery pipes (those with nickel phosphorus
plating), there is a possibility that, over time, the pressure sensor could loosen. If loosening occurs, fuel could leak past a gasket used in the
connection between the sensor and pipe and through the threaded portion of the sensor.
Lexus dealers will be requested to inspect affected vehicles for fuel leakage. If no leakage is found, dealers will be requested to tighten the
fuel pressure sensor to the proper torque spec. If the fuel pressure sensor does not turn when tightening to the specified torque, dealers
will be requested to replace the gasket between the fuel pressure sensor and fuel delivery pipe and tighten to the sensor to the proper
torque spec. If a fuel leak is confirmed, dealers will be requested to replace the gasket between the sensor and the fuel delivery pipe with a
new one and to tighten the sensor to the proper torque spec.
The following preliminary information is provided to inform you and your staff of the filing of the DIR for this Safety Recall and your degree
of involvement.
Owner Notification Mailing Dates
The owner notification will commence when parts become available. The Lexus Q&A is attached for your use when responding to
customer questions.
Only owners of the affected vehicles will be notified. If your dealership is contacted by an owner who would like to know if their vehicle is
affected, please verify vehicle eligibility by confirming through TIS. The affected VINs will be posted on TIS on Wednesday, January 26.
During the preliminary phase of this Safety Recall affected vehicles will be identified with a ‘B2A’ code.
Implementation at Dealerships
Technical instructions, tools, part information, and warranty claim submission instructions will be provided when parts become available.
All associates who have a part in this Safety Recall should be familiar with the contents of this letter.
Pre-Owned Vehicles in Dealer Inventory
Lexus requests that dealers not deliver any pre-owned vehicles in their inventory which are involved in this Safety Recall until the defect
has been remedied. If a dealer wishes to sell or deliver a pre-owned vehicle covered by this Safety Recall, it is important the dealer clearly
communicate to the consumer that the vehicle has been identified by Lexus as subject to a recently announced Safety Recall and that the
consumer will be notified by Lexus when the remedy part are available.
Also, as a reminder, Lexus CPO policy prohibits the certification of any vehicle with an outstanding Special Service Campaign or Safety
Recall, such as this Safety Recall BLA. Thus, no affected units may be sold or delivered as a CPO vehicle until the Safety Recall has been
completed on that vehicle.
Old 01-26-11, 09:10 PM
PJ82ND
Driver School Candidate

Q6: What is the production period of the affected vehicles?
A6: The affected vehicles were produced:
Model Year Model Production Range
2006 GS 300 Early January 2005 - Late July 2006
2007 GS 350 Mid-June 2006 - Late September 2007
2006 - early 2009 IS 250 Late August 2005 – Early February 2009
2006 - early 2008 IS 350 Late August 2005 - Late September 2007
Old 01-26-11, 09:14 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
That would explain why my 07 GS MPG couldn't get above 28 mpg on the highway after 2 years old. Now it could never go above 27 mpg.
I am talking about the MPG number shown on the gauge.
Good thing there has not any fire yet.
You would have to be shooting out tons of fuel before your fuel economy would be affected. I'm pretty sure that the worst case scenario here is a little bit of wetness around the sensor. A drop or two here and there. But, better to address it now than 5 years down the road if it keeps loosening.
Old 01-26-11, 10:42 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my V8
Old 01-26-11, 11:25 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its just to tighten it thats all they are doing.
Old 01-27-11, 08:28 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Having been the proud owner of the first gen rock solid GS400, I am beyond dissapointed to hear this story on CNN (among the other recalls plaguing Toyota).
Lexus/Toyota have built their reputation on "build quality" but it appears they "used" to do that but not anymore.
Further, its as if they suckered their current buyers in knowing they are making shody products. Shame on them....
My beloved 98 GS4 had zero issues in the near 4yrs I owned it! Now all I read about the new GS is how "Soft, Noisy, and Problematic" it is.
Old 01-27-11, 11:01 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

It's just a witch hunt fed by the fact that the public got forced into being automotive company owners.
Old 01-27-11, 01:03 PM
JL6speed
Driver

At least Lexus does recalls and has excellent service. Other manufactures probably wouldn't even bother w/ recalls while their **** just breaks left and right and you'd end up taking it to get fixed when it does break for real.
Old 01-27-11, 02:23 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Having been the proud owner of the first gen rock solid GS400, I am beyond dissapointed to hear this story on CNN (among the other recalls plaguing Toyota).
Lexus/Toyota have built their reputation on "build quality" but it appears they "used" to do that but not anymore.
Further, its as if they suckered their current buyers in knowing they are making shody products. Shame on them....
My beloved 98 GS4 had zero issues in the near 4yrs I owned it! Now all I read about the new GS is how "Soft, Noisy, and Problematic" it is.
that's actually the second generation. so I take it you were very lucky and didn't have the ball joint issue?

Quick Reply: Yet another GS recall