GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

After battery disconnect, settings won't respond

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 04:15 PM
dflaherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After battery disconnect, settings won't respond

I had a rattle in my horn cover, so I removed it to find it was the air bag. Appointment with Lexus has been set to fix it. It was easy and clean, and I certainly don't want the dealership to know I was in there.

The problem is that I disconnected the battery (to remove the cover) and now after everything is back together moon roof won't work correctly. I tried to normalize as manual says, i.e., (hold button to tilt moon roof up, and then hold button until it starts to close. I did this, but it's acting real strange. I push the button to slide moon roof open, then to close, but auto still does not work. Furthermore, when you close the moon roof and hold the button, it will go into tilt mode and then tilt upward.

Does anyone know what to do?
Old 01-27-11, 04:19 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Hey! After replacing my batter, I have this exact problem with my moonroof, and yes, I followed the 'normalize' instructions, in the manual before any of the forum police tell me to go read it.

The manual states, "If you cannot normalize the moonroof, take it to the stealership". Ok, they don't use the term 'stealership'. I'd really like another option, besides the dealer.

I was able to normalize all the windows.
I have noticed that the GPS can't find anything, even though reset it to the appropriate area. Battery disconnect is kind of brutal.
Old 01-27-11, 07:21 PM
dflaherty
Driver School Candidate

Default Found the answer to normalize moon roof

Funny why the Lexus manual isn't clear on this, but here is the solution:

a) Turn ignition switch to full accessory position - (push ignition 2x, foot off brake pedal).
b) Make sure that the sliding roof is fully closed.
c) Push and hold the UP switch until the following movements finish IN SUCCESSION:
tilt up
tilt down
slide open
slide closed

d) Check that the sliding roof stops at the fully closed position.
e) Finished with the initiation.
f) Check that the AUTO operation works normally.

If this does not work, remove the moon roof fuse and then reinstall it.
Follow the normalize cycle proceedures again.

This was taken off the Toyota forum, and IT WORKS.
Old 01-28-11, 06:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This information has been posted here about five dozen times already.
Old 01-29-11, 08:37 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
This information has been posted here about five dozen times already.
Look- I used the forum search with the terms "battery" "moonroof" etc and read through 20 or 30 posts, the snarky advice I got was 'go read your manual'. I did that. I followed the instructions, they did not fix the moonroof. So I came back here, hoping to find the answer. These are complex cars, with very specific problems, there is not always one right answer, and we are supposed to support each other. The most efficient way to find an answer to a very specific problem is to just ask.

Why do some posters here care so much if the same information is posted repeatedly?? So what if it's posted 5, 10 or 20 times? Are you afraid we're going to run out of Internets? Are we like, burning up finite forum electrons?

If you are not interested in the thread, or already know the answer, just ignore it and move on. The search function, like most forum search functions, is somewhat limited in it's capacity to just show me the damn answer I am looking for. Human brains are still better in that regard.
Old 01-29-11, 08:37 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dflaherty
Funny why the Lexus manual isn't clear on this, but here is the solution:

a) Turn ignition switch to full accessory position - (push ignition 2x, foot off brake pedal).
b) Make sure that the sliding roof is fully closed.
c) Push and hold the UP switch until the following movements finish IN SUCCESSION:
tilt up
tilt down
slide open
slide closed

d) Check that the sliding roof stops at the fully closed position.
e) Finished with the initiation.
f) Check that the AUTO operation works normally.

If this does not work, remove the moon roof fuse and then reinstall it.
Follow the normalize cycle proceedures again.

This was taken off the Toyota forum, and IT WORKS.
Thank you very much, I will try that today.
Old 01-29-11, 09:48 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gsexy300
Look- I used the forum search with the terms "battery" "moonroof" etc and read through 20 or 30 posts, the snarky advice I got was 'go read your manual'. I did that. I followed the instructions, they did not fix the moonroof. So I came back here, hoping to find the answer. These are complex cars, with very specific problems, there is not always one right answer, and we are supposed to support each other. The most efficient way to find an answer to a very specific problem is to just ask.

Why do some posters here care so much if the same information is posted repeatedly?? So what if it's posted 5, 10 or 20 times? Are you afraid we're going to run out of Internets? Are we like, burning up finite forum electrons?

If you are not interested in the thread, or already know the answer, just ignore it and move on. The search function, like most forum search functions, is somewhat limited in it's capacity to just show me the damn answer I am looking for. Human brains are still better in that regard.
Funny, when I decided to test this and search for moon roof, the first page had multiple threads in it with the answer to this question. There are also a bunch of threads such as one titled "steps to take after your battery has been disconnected" containing this information and more.

The most efficient way to find answers to questions that have already been asked multitudes of times is to use the information that is already instantly available to you.

Asking and having the same questions answered repeatedly:

1) Is a waste of time for the people being nice and repeatedly answering the question.

2) Is a waste of time for the people reading the threads full of the same information repeatedly. The title of this thread doesn't even say "moon roof" in it.

Now, if somebody really can't find the answer and they've tried in earnest and came up empty handed then I think it's fine to ask...

Asking just because "The most efficient way to find an answer to a very specific problem is to just ask." is just wrong and comes off sounding really egocentric (it's easier to make someone else do the work of typing an answer and/or using the search function and posting the results for me).
Old 01-29-11, 10:19 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Funny, when I decided to test this and search for moon roof, the first page had multiple threads in it with the answer to this question. There are also a bunch of threads such as one titled "steps to take after your battery has been disconnected" containing this information and more.
Ok, so I went into the forum search, and entered moon roof, and the first thing that stops me is the annoying 'captcha' which I realize is necessary to thwart spam bots. But first it makes me reload 10 times to get words I can actually recognize, then when I get a word I can actually read, I click search and get a window with the message "Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.
Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

This is a usability fail, and I'm not the only person here to mention that the search is kind of useless. Give it up, use a Google plugin.

The most efficient way to find answers to questions that have already been asked multitudes of times is to use the information that is already instantly available to you.
If it were actually instantly available, I would agree. This is how Google works.
Asking and having the same questions answered repeatedly:

1) Is a waste of time for the people being nice and repeatedly answering the question.
I think that's up to the person who is answering. If they feel like being useful and nice, more power to them.
2) Is a waste of time for the people reading the threads full of the same information repeatedly. The title of this thread doesn't even say "moon roof" in it.
The thread title read "After battery disconnect, settings won't respond". That happened to be related to my problem, so I entered the thread and was glad to see that someone was having a similar problem. That person answered my question, and YOU CHOOSE to enter the thread, which apparently didn't interest you in the first place and state "we've already addressed this issue many time." Again, why do you care? Skip the whole topic and move on.

Note that was able to normalize the windows, which I fixed after finding solution on the forums. I believe I had to use an advanced Google search with the site:clublexus.com parameter to tease out the fix. I was unable to make the forum search return anything useful.

Now, if somebody really can't find the answer and they've tried in earnest and came up empty handed then I think it's fine to ask...
So I finally got the search to take my query, moon roof, having beat the captcha box into submission, and here's a screenshot of what it returns. (see below)

Are you suggesting that it's practical and easy to read through all those threads, NONE of which seem to mention 'moon roof' or 'reset' or 'battery' (except for the top one which is the one we are arguing about.)

Asking just because "The most efficient way to find an answer to a very specific problem is to just ask." is just wrong and comes off sounding really egocentric (it's easier to make someone else do the work of typing an answer and/or using the search function and posting the results for me).
I think that's a pretty extreme attitude to take. If you don't feel like answering the question, just don't answer. But don't jump into a thread that you have no other interest in just to tell me how lazy, self-centered, and stupid I am.
Attached Thumbnails After battery disconnect, settings won't respond-untitled-2.jpg  
Old 01-29-11, 10:28 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K ladies calm it down, to the op i am happy you found out the solution to fix the problem. Remember we all were nubs sometime in this forum and we all made a dumb thread or a repeat thread without searching!!!
Old 01-29-11, 10:32 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
K ladies calm it down, to the op i am happy you found out the solution to fix the problem. Remember we all were nubs sometime in this forum and we all made a dumb thread or a repeat thread without searching!!!
Yeah whatever. I'm just saying that being told to 'just use the search' does not always work. Unless I actually am irretrievably stupid and operating at a sub-moron level. I was challenged and debated, and I am wired to respond to people I disagree with. Now, i'll just go out to the garage and see if I can fix my moonroof.

Say can anyone help me with my creaking dash... has anyone posted threads on that topic.. jk
Old 01-29-11, 10:38 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Say can anyone help me with my creaking dash... has anyone posted threads on that topic.. jk
You're out of luck on that one... No posts about it, so you must be the first one to have this issue. Ditto on some engine valve spring problem I've been hearing about. LOL
Old 01-29-11, 10:40 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes please use the search function or look into our "LOOK IN HERE FIRST DIY THREAD"
Old 01-29-11, 12:47 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

I'll prolly get banned for dissing the search function. I'm just a cranky GS owner because me dash creaks like a ship's rigging on the high seas.
Old 01-29-11, 02:59 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll prolly get banned for dissing the search function. I'm just a cranky GS owner because me dash creaks like a ship's rigging on the high seas.
Personally, more than the searching thing, my pet peeve is when people post in a thread and say or ask something that clearly indicates that they haven't read the prior posts in that thread. I don't know if others notice this or are bothered as much by it as I am, but I see a thread as a conversation that moves forward with input from different people, and it seems detrimental to that spirit of discussion when someone chimes in with clearly not a clue as to what has been said (and I mean a couple of posts ago, not even a few pages). That to me is an even worse form of laziness than the searching complaint.

I find it kind of annoying, but maybe it's just me . Perhaps I should discuss it with my therapist.

Don't sweat it; search doesn't always work perfectly as you said. At least you tried and weren't just being lazy.
Old 01-30-11, 10:32 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
Personally, more than the searching thing, my pet peeve is when people post in a thread and say or ask something that clearly indicates that they haven't read the prior posts in that thread. I don't know if others notice this or are bothered as much by it as I am, but I see a thread as a conversation that moves forward with input from different people, and it seems detrimental to that spirit of discussion when someone chimes in with clearly not a clue as to what has been said (and I mean a couple of posts ago, not even a few pages). That to me is an even worse form of laziness than the searching complaint.

I find it kind of annoying, but maybe it's just me . Perhaps I should discuss it with my therapist.

Don't sweat it; search doesn't always work perfectly as you said. At least you tried and weren't just being lazy.
Regarding the search, it almost seems like some people here take it personally as if they coded and designed it themselves and can't stand any criticism of it. I think that Google search has become so much more useful than anything else I have become less tolerant of other search functions.

I will never understand why people care so much about prior questions being asked again, and slamming people for it. Especially new members. If you want to grow the audience here, (in what is a dwindling world of 'walled garden stand alone communities' now that Facebook has a billion people in it) it is not a good practice to make them feel unwelcome. Asking questions and having them answered is at the core of community interaction.

Imagine you were a new member to the forums, you have a burning question
about your Lexus, and you are confronted with a wall of threads that seem unrelated to what you care about. You search, and are confronted with yet another wall of threads that may or may not be relevant. Maybe the forum admins could create a 'New Members' section, where we could go in and ask our dumb-*** questions that have apparently been answered 100 times over the prior 5 years. Not everyone here has had a lexus for years, and not everyone has been on the boards for years.

Quick Reply: After battery disconnect, settings won't respond