GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 08:46 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by petch
Hi fellow 3GS owners,

But I have a few more questions regarding US spec head & tail lights in general

Tail lights first: Can someone confirm that every 3GS in the US also have a "side marker" on the outer tail light?

I'd like to go deeper to give mine an extra US look (grass is always greener on the other side they say...) so I was wondering if I could make it work on my actual EU tail lights? Am I missing something with that side marker?

Headlights now. Although I'm not entirely sure about the taillights, I know for a fact that headlights and wiring on the front are different between the US and EU. The main difference being the amber side light, we don't have those in EU. But if you look closely, it seems like the part of the amber light is fulfilled on the EU one and I might need to just drill a little hole (with a dremel tool for instance) on it to make it fit the amber bulb (thanks to the US-spec wiring harness).

Has anyone done a EU to US or US to EU headlight conversion to their car before to confirm what I think about the amber light?
Sorry for the long post, tried to make it pleasant to read with all the pictures, thanks in advance to those who'll give answers!

Cheers
I can tell you about the front and rear side market. It's actually mandated here in the States for "visibility." You will see a bunch of US marketed cars from the 1960s and up with side marker lights compared to their overseas counterpart. Every car that is sold for the US market will have a working side marker light.

One of the photos you posted from ebay shows that it was not lit. The side marker light is controlled by the first click, parking light mode, on the light stalk. It could be that the seller didn't connect all the wires.

As far as the front headlights, I'm not sure if the harness is there for the side marker. You may be able to tap into another light that comes on when the parking lights are on.
Old 02-02-21, 12:51 AM
petch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your reply MX73.

I managed to find an european Lexus EPC so I could compare part number between EUDM and USDM.
I can now provide a few answers to my questions.
rear first: So we know thanks to the OP of this thread that the inner taillight and its harness are different between Europe and the US (fog and half taillight light for europe, no fog and full taillight light for the US)
I figured thanks to https://lexus-europe.epc-data.com/ and https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/ that the outer taillights and its harness are also different between the 2 markets (see parts numbers below), which means I'd need to get a full set of US lights + harness in order to have the side markers on the rear. What I don't understand now is that they have 2 different part numbers for the exact same part, but both are compatible with my 06 GS.

Now the front. Well its the same as the rear, headlights and harness are different between the 2 markets. But it seems that I can get the US side markers just by using the US harness and drilling a hole into my euro headlights. They look identical with only the back cover being different.

I made a little sheet to show the differences in parts numbers between the 2 markets if that can help my fellow european who want to get the full US look on their GS

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
petershen (08-31-21)
Old 04-17-23, 06:08 AM
darius047

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Success story

Hey guys,
Thanks to this thread i did the mod as well
Looking sexy from behind

The following users liked this post:
Kendall (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 11:21 AM
Kendall
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpful Question..?? Rear Lamp MODS

Originally Posted by darius047
Hey guys,
Thanks to this thread i did the mod as well
Looking sexy from behind

Hello with this MOD on a euro spec GS if I order the U.S. spec inner taillights to have the full rear light set up do I need to change some type of wiring or anything or is it just a plug & play set up? Will the U.S. spec taillight wiring connect to Euro spec GS light connector?
please someone help me I would really appreciate it lol
Old 04-10-24, 08:04 AM
ArasGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendall
Hello with this MOD on a euro spec GS if I order the U.S. spec inner taillights to have the full rear light set up do I need to change some type of wiring or anything or is it just a plug & play set up? Will the U.S. spec taillight wiring connect to Euro spec GS light connector?
please someone help me I would really appreciate it lol

You'll need to buy or make your own wiring harness. wiring part No.81585-30280,you'll need 2 of them. Otherwise you could just DIY your own wiring ,its only 2 additional wires