GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS NAV Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 01:32 AM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS NAV Questions..

I'm looking at buying an 07/08 AWD GS350 w/ ML soon and am trying to do as much research as I can before making my purchase.. I don't like making purchases I regret lol.

I noticed that there's a wire hack for the navigation to unlock the DVD/Nav/BT while in motion which sounds like it only works for a couple minutes at a time anyway.. unless someone knows a workaround. But my next plan was to purchase something to hook up my ipod/iphone so I can listen to my music and possibly watch videos from my phone (like youtube and netflix) on the Nav screen. From what I've found, it looks like the Vaistech ML+ is the best out there.

My questions I guess would be is the wire hack a problem-free method of being able to watch DVDs and use the BT/NAV on the go or is there a better way?

..and secondly, is the Vaistech ML+ really the best product available right now?

Thanks for the help guys! So far, I'm really liking a lot of the info on this site and it's helped immensely in choosing my next car!

- Tyler
Old 02-07-11, 04:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

the wire hack works just fine as long as you secure all the cut wires to make sure they are firmly connected. I myself am not a fan of the wire hack because i dont like cutting up wires plus the potential issues you could have with the dealer. PS has a kit they sell that does the same thing and its plug and play however its rather expensive (about $300) but imo its very well worth it compared to what else is out there.
Old 02-07-11, 06:20 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

If you went with the VaisTech SL2iC you could use any iOS 4.0+ device and get the BT/Nav unlock built in. This would keep you from cutting wires and have the entire solution in one device. I have this setup and it works perfect when I need it.

Some people don't like it because you much switch to the iPod interface to toggle on the BT/Nav unlock.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-07-11, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wire hack override will have time limit, i think that's a trade off

ml+, i think it's probably the best high end ipod integration out there now
Old 02-07-11, 03:21 PM
Riceater
Driver

So whats the time limit for exactly? Everything or does it just turn off your movie? As far as the bluetooth/nav I can probably handle just using the voice controls; however, the main thing I want is the ability to play DVDs while in motion and not have a limited amount of time. So what does everyone think the best way todo that is? Prestigious Society kit?
Old 02-07-11, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it doesn't turn off movie, time limit is on the nav override. time, depends. if you go 15-20mph, it will probably last forever. but if you pick up on speed, the time limit will kick in
Old 02-07-11, 08:57 PM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
it doesn't turn off movie, time limit is on the nav override. time, depends. if you go 15-20mph, it will probably last forever. but if you pick up on speed, the time limit will kick in
Is that what the switch is for? To reset the Nav override so you can plug in addresses or POIs without turning the car off and on? Would that affect the DVD if I had a movie in and flipped that switch? Is the Bluetooth keypad part of this Nav override feature that needs to be reset or does the bluetooth hack work unlimited as well?

So what exactly happens when the nav override goes off? POI buttons are grayed out or something? If I have a DVD in and I'm driving through town at like 45mph or on the highway about 65mph and can make it through a movie that's around an hour and a half or so without the movie turning off then the wire hack sounds like it'd be the bees knees.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a good idea of what I'm getting into here. My ultimate goal is wire hack and ML+ so I can play music off my iphone, watch youtube videos/movies I've downloaded and maybe even stream Netflix off my phone onto the Nav screen which would be awesome lol.

Last edited by Riceater; 02-07-11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 07:38 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really get what this mod does for you,I just got a gs460 that has Ml and 2 small tvs in the headrests with their own dvd player in each one,they look stock to me,I assume if you use the aux input you can get ipod to play the same image on all 3 screens?
Old 02-08-11, 10:00 AM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by 1supra
I dont really get what this mod does for you,I just got a gs460 that has Ml and 2 small tvs in the headrests with their own dvd player in each one,they look stock to me,I assume if you use the aux input you can get ipod to play the same image on all 3 screens?
Have you tried playing a movie on the DVD player? It would all have to be hooked up to some sort of media box connected to the Nav unit, like something from Vais. If the DVD player is only connected to the TVs in the headrests then the headrests will be the only TVs in the car that can play the movie.