GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Are these mod's right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 01:04 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these mod's right for me?

Let me begin by saying that I am a complete novice when it comes to modifications. I have never done any mod's in the past on any of my cars because before this one, I've always had a company car. I am looking for some feedback/suggestions/information. I have a 2007 GS 350 awd Silver/Black with 17" stock rims. I definitely like the looks of stepping up to bigger wheels (19 or 20's), a lowered suspension, and full body kits but I am a bit worried about adding any/all of these considering that 1) I live in Chicago where the climate is definitely harsh and 2) I drive typically 20,000-25,000 miles a year.

I am sure by lowering the suspension as well as stepping up to larger wheels, the ride will not be as smooth as the stock set-up. I don't want to sacrifice too much of ride comfort seeing that I do drive quite a bit.

I believe I know the answer to this question, but I'm sure I can step up to 19/20" wheels without lowering the suspension, however, will that look weird having all of that space in between the car and the tires? I am thinking it will look odd.

Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-10-11, 01:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It would looke better with a drop but not that much better. My GS was dropped on coilovers and when I would see a GS with wheels and stock height I never thought it looked bad. i would do a set of 20's with 255/30/20 all the way around ( not staggered ) and a set of the F sport sway bars and call it a day. If you want the staggered set up then go with 245/35/20 and 275/30/20. Do the dubs. 19's look weak on a car of this size
Old 02-10-11, 01:27 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you have an awd and your looking for ride comfort, skip lowering.
Old 02-11-11, 12:05 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you have an awd and your looking for ride comfort, skip lowering.
I second that! As an AWD owner and having had minor to major lowering with three different set ups, 19's and 20's, I would have to go against either in your case.

Allow me to explain... Lowering an AWD will create wobbling. Very common for 3GS AWD cars when lowered. Like mentioned above, 19's didn't do the car justice, and I agree. That's why I went 20's, and IMO 20's on stock AWD height just wouldn't look right. I say all this for your situation because you want to retain that smooth ride and because you drive so much. Also, now that I think about it, because you drive so much, if you lower(depending on how much) you might be burning through your tires quicker, especially if you have camber issues. That can be fixed with upgraded suspension components, but it just might not be the best senario given your situation.

Ultimately, you will have to ask yourself if you are willing to make those sacrifices for the looks of your car.

Just thought I'd share my opinion. Good luck.
Old 02-11-11, 06:15 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My opinion. Keep the smooth ride and the ability to drive over snow banks.

18's are a good compromise for summer tires at stock height without losing any ride characteristics. Use the 17's for winter tires.
Old 02-11-11, 06:41 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lower the car as far as you can with coilovers and 20s and buy a beater to drive around. I love my car and modding it out has become a hobby and somewhat of an obsession but I do also have a pick up truck that I average 20-25k a year. It is awfully nice to pull up on style on the weekends and evening though good luck!
Old 02-11-11, 08:46 AM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by Kcook700
I second that! As an AWD owner and having had minor to major lowering with three different set ups, 19's and 20's, I would have to go against either in your case.

Allow me to explain... Lowering an AWD will create wobbling. Very common for 3GS AWD cars when lowered. Like mentioned above, 19's didn't do the car justice, and I agree. That's why I went 20's, and IMO 20's on stock AWD height just wouldn't look right. I say all this for your situation because you want to retain that smooth ride and because you drive so much. Also, now that I think about it, because you drive so much, if you lower(depending on how much) you might be burning through your tires quicker, especially if you have camber issues. That can be fixed with upgraded suspension components, but it just might not be the best senario given your situation.

Ultimately, you will have to ask yourself if you are willing to make those sacrifices for the looks of your car.

Just thought I'd share my opinion. Good luck.

I'd keep it stock and just throw on a set of OEM lexus 18.
Old 02-11-11, 08:50 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Pimp216 yes, agreed. Do your mods and get a beater. Although if I were faced with the decision, I would probably do the mods because I don't live in an area that has snow.

I couldn't imagine how my car would be in the snow and I can only feel for some of you 3GS owners that have to endure the snow for X months out of the year. I now understand the point of having a "winter setup" of wheels. Never understood it until I saw some of the pictures of your 3GS' in the snow.

Me.. I rock my wheels year round..I love CA!
Old 02-11-11, 09:00 AM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks a lot for all of your inputs so far. It seems like what this really comes down to is this...with the amount of driving I do in combination with the ride comfort that I want, I can't get the form (20" rims and lowered suspension) and function (ride comfort) that I'm looking for.

The option of getting a beater is a great idea in theory but I got this nice of a car to begin with because I do spend so much time in the car that I wanted something nice than the company-issued baseline Ford Explorers that I've had in the past. It's definitely tough to go back once your daily driver is as nice as a GS.

Here's another question...would upgrading to a body kit look stupid if I don't lower the car at all?
Old 02-11-11, 09:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

beaters are great. i have a 92 saturn that i rock pretty much daily for my beater.
Old 02-11-11, 10:07 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
beaters are great. i have a 92 saturn that i rock pretty much daily for my beater.
Ha my best friend had one too until he blew it up and I had to push him down the hwy with his truck for 15miles with kids recording it as they past by.
Old 02-11-11, 11:39 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by manyvices
Wow, thanks a lot for all of your inputs so far. It seems like what this really comes down to is this...with the amount of driving I do in combination with the ride comfort that I want, I can't get the form (20" rims and lowered suspension) and function (ride comfort) that I'm looking for.

The option of getting a beater is a great idea in theory but I got this nice of a car to begin with because I do spend so much time in the car that I wanted something nice than the company-issued baseline Ford Explorers that I've had in the past. It's definitely tough to go back once your daily driver is as nice as a GS.

Here's another question...would upgrading to a body kit look stupid if I don't lower the car at all?
Personally, I would think so. Its because the AWD's sit so high. Then again, I think they look bad stock..
Old 02-11-11, 11:41 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

not if you get something simple. look at the Camry SE, it has a nice lip kit and it's not dropped.
Old 02-11-11, 11:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Ha my best friend had one too until he blew it up and I had to push him down the hwy with his truck for 15miles with kids recording it as they past by.
i think i just seized a piston ring on it so time to run some trans fluid through the car to hopefully unstick it lol

i would assume you mean lip kit. full kits are very expensive (excess of 3k before paint). imo it would look goofy if you have wheels, lip kit and no drop.
Old 02-11-11, 01:01 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

^ I second that.

Quick Reply: Are these mod's right for me?