GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Would AWD benefit me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 05:05 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would AWD benefit me?

Next year, we'll be moving from an area of CA that never gets snow or ice and only wimpy rain to a completely area (near Dallas) that get ice and some snow in the winter and regularly gets heavy rainfall.

Right now I have a low mileage 2008 GS350RWD (that has been flawless). In the next few years, I'll be getting a new GS (please don't talk to me about other cars, since the GS is my favorite). How much benefit would I get if I got an AWD over a RWD and is it enough to make me consider moving up the purchase date of my next GS?

Last edited by steverhode; 02-12-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 05:26 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're going to be driving on mostly dry paved roads then it won't do much for you at all.

AWD is a system that is meant to give you superior traction when the front or rear end are experiencing a loss of it. If you're not driving on terrain that is going to be a traction challenge, then there really is no point.

For me on the other hand, driving in blizzards and freezing rain, and climbing snow banks to park on top of... it makes sense and after going AWD this car I seriously don't think I'm going to entertain buying another car without it.
Old 02-11-11, 05:48 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Dallas I would say no benefit of AWD. When Dallas gets ice or snow the city shuts down and AWD does not help out on ice!!! That plus the fact that it is flat there so 2wd is more than ample.
Old 02-11-11, 06:37 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

There would be no benefit. I live in DC area where we regularly get snow. I do just fine in my RWD GS.
Old 02-11-11, 07:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if you plan to do mods, RWD is the platform you want. having good snow tires and chains should provide enough traction for your RWD to get around in almost all but the worst winter conditions.
Old 02-11-11, 10:34 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

yeah I gotta agree with everyone the AWD is good really for snow but if you get little to no snow it becomes useless, and the mods are easier to put on the RWD as opposed to the AWD system!
Old 02-12-11, 10:32 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Let me clarify please.

Originally Posted by steverhode
Next year, we'll be moving from an area of CA that never gets snow or ice and only wimpy rain to a completely area (near Dallas) that get ice and some snow in the winter and regularly gets heavy rainfall.

Right now I have a low mileage 2008 GS350RWD (that has been flawless). In the next few years, I'll be getting a new GS (please don't talk to me about other cars, since the GS is my favorite). How much benefit would I get if I got an AWD over a RWD and is it enough to make me consider moving up the purchase date of my next GS?
The advice so far has been mixed, so let me clarify my needs. I will NOT be doing any mods to my car. Around Dallas, the terrain is very flat. It snows sometimes but ice is a bigger problem.

Now, if I had AWD, would it help and, if so, how much? Thanks.
Old 02-12-11, 10:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AWD will not help. If road conditions are that bad its best to stay off.

A RWD car with SNOW or ICE tires will be your best bet. AWD is not the answer to everything and funny thing these are the cars or suv's I see stuck in ditches all over when it snows in Chicago. I drive year round with RWD and snow tires in the winter months.

Resale value wont be as great on a AWD car in your area either.
Old 02-12-11, 10:56 AM
justlex
Driver School Candidate

it says clearly on the button in the middle console , PWR - ECT - SNOW , not PWR-ECT-ICE or PWR-ECT-SNOW/ICE loooooool just being sarcastic
Old 02-12-11, 10:59 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I'm surprised at how everybody on this board makes it sound like AWD has absolutely no use at all, under any conditions. :P If that were truly the case, then it would have never been invented in the first place.

I still agree that where you live it's pointless, but it's certainly not pointless in general.

AWD is not the answer as a replacement for winter tires in areas that get real winters, but AWD with winter tires is going to be better in all sorts of conditions compared to a RWD with winter tires.

For one thing it will be MUCH more difficult to get "stuck" with an AWD, you could drive right out of a snowy ditch and drive right on top of a pile of snow parking on the street and get right off of it without problem.

It will also help driving on unpaved roads like gravel, less chance of one end going loose on you. You can also launch the sucker like nothing even in slick conditions that might normally spin wheels.
Old 02-12-11, 11:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AWD is great for performance on a car IMO its not the answer to bad weather or road conditions. If you truly live in an area that is this bad then I suggest you drive a truck or something geared more towards the road conditions.

AWD with snow tires should be better then a RWD with snow tires. But I would rather have RWD with snow tires. The problem is most get AWD and dont change the tires and think they can drive over and threw anything....
Old 02-12-11, 11:21 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
AWD with snow tires should be better then a RWD with snow tires. But I would rather have RWD with snow tires. The problem is most get AWD and dont change the tires and think they can drive over and threw anything....
Absolutely. In fact, in Toronto, I rarely see AWD models (trucks, cars, any make) with winter tires compared to standard FWD. People absolutely seem to believe that the fact that they bought an AWD vehicle is somehow going to make their vehicle stop in a shorter distance on ice. It really is a misconception that is dangerous.

Then again, winter tire usage while increasing lately is still not very well adopted - most people just don't seem to care or take any heed at how dangerous it can be if conditions are bad. I hope one day we do what Quebec did and make winter tires mandatory by law during the winter months. I believe that since they made that law there have been a good deal less collisions and they are probably already reaping the benefits of lower insurance premiums that will probably pay for their tires anyway.
Old 02-12-11, 12:18 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

I lived in Dallas most of my life and we get snow or ice maybe once or twice a year. The past week has really been a fluke and I think the last time we had that much snow and ice was in the 1980s. I've got a RWD GS 350 and I rarely see other AWD GS models around here. Your car sounds nice, and you've had good luck with it, so I wouldn't rush to replace it. Also, if you get here and decide you want AWD they often seem to cost a little less b/c the demand isn't here.
Old 02-13-11, 06:56 AM
ARehman
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I'm surprised at how everybody on this board makes it sound like AWD has absolutely no use at all, under any conditions. :P If that were truly the case, then it would have never been invented in the first place.

I still agree that where you live it's pointless, but it's certainly not pointless in general.

AWD is not the answer as a replacement for winter tires in areas that get real winters, but AWD with winter tires is going to be better in all sorts of conditions compared to a RWD with winter tires.

For one thing it will be MUCH more difficult to get "stuck" with an AWD, you could drive right out of a snowy ditch and drive right on top of a pile of snow parking on the street and get right off of it without problem.

It will also help driving on unpaved roads like gravel, less chance of one end going loose on you. You can also launch the sucker like nothing even in slick conditions that might normally spin wheels.
Yeah I disagree. We had 13" of snow here and my IS300 with snow tires made it through it just fine. Where as my friends A4 quattro on all seasons was stuck three times and did not stop nearly as well.
Old 02-13-11, 07:15 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ARehman
Yeah I disagree. We had 13" of snow here and my IS300 with snow tires made it through it just fine. Where as my friends A4 quattro on all seasons was stuck three times and did not stop nearly as well.
Uh yeah. Winter tires vs All Season. I have no idea what the point you're trying to make is.

Quick Reply: Would AWD benefit me?