GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

fsport sway bars: what is the final word?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11 | 01:51 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Default fsport sway bars: what is the final word?

Hello:

I was following the debate on installation of fsport sway bars with interest. It seems like they were favored at first and then owners started to experience noise problems among others. Then I became somewhat lost.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me if any consensus arose with respect to these sway bars (particularly on an 08 RWD) and, if so, what that was? Thanks.
Old 02-28-11 | 01:53 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

If I grep my memory on this --

1) Don't do much for every day driving. Maybe some benefit if pushing it hard. Seems it's mostly just something shiny to look at?

2) Noise was apparently fixed and there was a TSB out there for new redesigned bushings. Likely all shipping units by now come with the fixed bushings.
Old 02-28-11 | 01:58 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

1) Don't do much for every day driving. Maybe some benefit if pushing it hard. Seems it's mostly just something shiny to look at?

2) Noise was apparently fixed and there was a TSB out there for new redesigned bushings. Likely all shipping units by now come with the fixed bushings.

Thank you.

If they actually provided a substantial improvement and didn't cause harm I would seriously consider them, but it seems like they fall under Pretty Shiny more than anything else.
Old 02-28-11 | 01:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

spot on from my experience. Car sits better during abrupt lane changes or in turns at 7/10 or better. Dead quiet, no knocks.
Old 02-28-11 | 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i am not sure about point 2? last i heard, they ship with old bushings unless noise proven and then tsib might apply
Old 02-28-11 | 04:09 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

I believe Henry is right. If you hear the noise and it can be reproduced at the dealership, they will install the beefier bushings per the TSIB. Some dealerships, like Sewell, were issuing replacements to their customers who asked for them.

I definitely feel less body roll around turns at speed with mine. I added the sway bars and the F-Sport springs at about the same time. Much stiffer, sportier ride but still comfortable.

Lots of pretty shiny mods for the 3GS out there. Along with the big brakes and springs, the sway bars are one of the very few mods (F-Sport or other) for our car that actually does something. If you want pretty shiny, you can go for the perfauxmance air intake or exhaust. These will give you the same gains that the shifter ****, floor mats, wheelz, CF engine cover, etc. will give you.
Old 03-01-11 | 06:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Sewell was issuing replacements for their customers. The updated bushings did fix the problem in my case. Unless you are driving slaloms, there really isn't a need for these. I noticed ZERO difference and it cost me over $700 (bars + install)...just wasn't worth it. Save your money. My car was not lowered and it was the AWD. You might just try getting the F-Sport springs/shocks instead, since you have the RWD. I think you'll be happier with that setup than the sway bars.
Old 03-01-11 | 08:00 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I believe Henry is right. If you hear the noise and it can be reproduced at the dealership, they will install the beefier bushings per the TSIB. Some dealerships, like Sewell, were issuing replacements to their customers who asked for them.

I definitely feel less body roll around turns at speed with mine. I added the sway bars and the F-Sport springs at about the same time. Much stiffer, sportier ride but still comfortable.

Lots of pretty shiny mods for the 3GS out there. Along with the big brakes and springs, the sway bars are one of the very few mods (F-Sport or other) for our car that actually does something. If you want pretty shiny, you can go for the perfauxmance air intake or exhaust. These will give you the same gains that the shifter ****, floor mats, wheelz, CF engine cover, etc. will give you.

Each very definitely to his own, but I like the stock look of the car just fine.
Old 03-01-11 | 08:02 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Sewell was issuing replacements for their customers. The updated bushings did fix the problem in my case. Unless you are driving slaloms, there really isn't a need for these. I noticed ZERO difference and it cost me over $700 (bars + install)...just wasn't worth it. Save your money. My car was not lowered and it was the AWD. You might just try getting the F-Sport springs/shocks instead, since you have the RWD. I think you'll be happier with that setup than the sway bars.

Thanks. I definitely don't drive slaloms and won't be doing so. Just a 40-something guy who likes a nice, fast trip to work.

The springs and shocks are an interesting notion, though. Thanks.
Old 03-02-11 | 06:41 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NCGS350
Thanks. I definitely don't drive slaloms and won't be doing so. Just a 40-something guy who likes a nice, fast trip to work.

The springs and shocks are an interesting notion, though. Thanks.
Let me save you some money.

I think you're fine just leaving the car as it is. Maybe you can look into replacing the suspension when it's actually wearing out and needs to be replaced anyway.
Old 03-02-11 | 08:22 AM
dentalstud
Rookie

highly recommended. i had problems w/ the original bushings, but w/ the new bushings torqued correctly, minimal noise if any on very cold mornings (parked outside). as for the ride, changing lanes is faster more abrupt, body roll reduced significantly. i take turns flatter, faster and smoother w/ minimal body roll. if you don't have it, you need it. as for the springs, i purchased the sways and springs a little over a year ago but never installed the springs due to clublexus feedback regarding clunking noises, increased toe causing uneven wear and uneven gaps between the tire and wheel well. if i don't decide to go coilovers, i might get bored and install the springs later on.
Old 03-02-11 | 11:44 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dentalstud
highly recommended. i had problems w/ the original bushings, but w/ the new bushings torqued correctly, minimal noise if any on very cold mornings (parked outside). as for the ride, changing lanes is faster more abrupt, body roll reduced significantly. i take turns flatter, faster and smoother w/ minimal body roll. if you don't have it, you need it. as for the springs, i purchased the sways and springs a little over a year ago but never installed the springs due to clublexus feedback regarding clunking noises, increased toe causing uneven wear and uneven gaps between the tire and wheel well. if i don't decide to go coilovers, i might get bored and install the springs later on.

Thank you very much.
Old 03-02-11 | 11:46 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Let me save you some money.

I think you're fine just leaving the car as it is. Maybe you can look into replacing the suspension when it's actually wearing out and needs to be replaced anyway.
Thanks. That should be some time from now, as the car only has 32K miles on it.
Old 03-02-11 | 12:38 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dentalstud
highly recommended. as for the ride, changing lanes is faster more abrupt, body roll reduced significantly. i take turns flatter, faster and smoother w/ minimal body roll.
+1. If you wish to have more control of your car, then that's exactly what swaybars offer. I can say since I've installed swaybars the car definitely feels more planted.