GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Power steering out now.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 01:55 PM
jackballer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering out now.

Ok so I was leaving the barbershop today and all of a sudden my power steering went out??? Everything was fine. I started my car and BAM!! no power steering. Take it to the lexus dealer immediately since I was off today and they just called me and told me the EPU or CPU was out on it and it was going to be $1,000 to fix it.

That really pisses me off! You think when you get a lexus it would be reliable and worry free. This thing has a lot of stuff going on with it. I told them to finally go ahead and do the two outstanding recalls on it too!!!!! Not to mention the high idle vibrations in the cold and squeaks and cracks.

No wonder they dont advertise the GS on tv anymore. Its a POS and they arent pushing them anymore until the new version. Only 63,000 miles on an 2006. Computers should not be going out like that!
Old 03-10-11, 03:14 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man sorry to hear that,,
Old 03-10-11, 03:18 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man that sucks! Maybe you can find a replacement cpu salvage or on eBay or something. I would like to hope that if this happens to me that my Lexus EXT warranty would take care of it but Westside Lexus will probably tell me my warranty is voided because i drove the car.
Old 03-10-11, 03:34 PM
jackballer
Driver

Originally Posted by JBasco20
wow man that sucks! Maybe you can find a replacement cpu salvage or on eBay or something. I would like to hope that if this happens to me that my Lexus EXT warranty would take care of it but Westside Lexus will probably tell me my warranty is voided because i drove the car.
Dont get me wrong I love the car but $1,000 dollar whops all of a sudden hurt. More like chrysler reliability. My wife was like dont you still have to get recalls done on that car and I was like yup!
Old 03-10-11, 03:35 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL that just happened to me on Sunday, my dealer billed me 550 for the the ECU/computer thing be replaced, well atleast your steering rack doesnt need to be replaced, because I had to do the full package and all I have to say is COSTLY. It's getting fixed right now as we speak.

Even the manager is surprised on how the steering rack is bad, cmon my god damn 00 Civic I had was at 500,000 KM and nothing happened to the steering. F-ing christ Lexus.
Old 03-10-11, 05:36 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a recall on the rack and pinion I believe. Did you have it replaced already?
Old 03-10-11, 06:28 PM
ball4lyfe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
There's a recall on the rack and pinion I believe. Did you have it replaced already?
I second that. Got mine replaced a few months ago, along with the valve spring recall.
Old 03-10-11, 06:59 PM
jackballer
Driver

Originally Posted by ball4lyfe
I second that. Got mine replaced a few months ago, along with the valve spring recall.
Rack and pinion recall too??? I havent heard of that one. On a 2006 gs300?
Old 03-10-11, 08:10 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jackballer
Yes it was a very early recall. A long time ago. It would be amazing if your car never had it done but I highly doubt that's the case.

Also for every 10,000 people with civics that have nothing wrong with the steering ever there is that one person who's civic blows up, catches on fire and gives him an STD. Every product/part has lemons, you have to judge a vehicle/parts by the frequency of failure not just on the fact that it failed for you.

If it was an epidemic I think there would be FAR more chatter on these boards about it by now. Of course, who knows, maybe another couple of years will go by and everybody will have broken steering... but if it gets to that point, I would have to assume it would be recall time again because well... steering is quite important for safety right? Anyway you should report it, maybe you can help get us all new racks again.
Old 03-10-11, 10:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if enough of these cases pop up, i'm pretty sure they'd do a recall, and reimburse you in the future if you file a claim.
Old 03-11-11, 04:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yup i had mine done in the summer of 09 and then the rack went again this past december. it had about 5k on it tops.

funny i was at the bar last weekend and i was actually sitting next to a tech that works at the dealer i go to and he said they replace those all the time because their poorly made. he said one good bump will dislodge something in the rack and it will have to be replaced.
Old 03-11-11, 11:43 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the recall also apply to '07 and later GS 350's?
Old 03-11-11, 11:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

not sure but heres a list of all the stuff here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-for-3gs.html
Old 03-11-11, 08:16 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the electric power steering issue was a Special Service Campaign (SSC) initiated by Lexus (similar to but not a recall). The code is 9LC and occured in the beginning of 2009. There was a noticable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel. This was caused by insufficient adhesion between the permanent magnets and the rotor for the Electric Power Steering Link (EPS) Assembly. Dealerships were replacing the entire EPS assembly at no charge.

steviej
Old 03-11-11, 08:17 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yup i had mine done in the summer of 09 and then the rack went again this past december. it had about 5k on it tops.

funny i was at the bar last weekend and i was actually sitting next to a tech that works at the dealer i go to and he said they replace those all the time because their poorly made. he said one good bump will dislodge something in the rack and it will have to be replaced.
Oddly enough, at the same time as the EPS campaign another service campaign was also initiated. 9LB. This SSC replaced rubber boots on the rear caliper slide pins and slide bolts on many GS 2006 and 2007 GS and IS vehicles. The replacement boots were to help keep the caliper slides from freezing. Ironically, Lexus has experienced a dramatic increase in the failure rate of the rear calipers after the recall was performed.

go figure. Makes extended warranties look good.

steviej

Quick Reply: Power steering out now.