GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

"Dead" Steering Zone At Higher Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 07:49 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Dead" Steering Zone At Higher Speeds

Hello. This is a weird one and I could use your expert advice.

This past week was the first time I've had the GS up to a consistent 80+ mph on the interstate. Above 75 or so a very strange "dead" or "stiff" spot occurs in the center zone of the steering arc, about three or four inches. In this zone there is real active stiffness in the steering wheel. The problem is, when you exert sufficient pressue on the wheel to "break" out of that zone it immediately goes to the normal stiffness, so there's a natural overrcorrection. Frankly, it's dangerous and frightening. I've never experienced this on any car I have owned.

My guess is either alignment or a power steering issue. The tires are basically new and were properly inflated. It's not natural reduction in power steering at higher speeds, one thinks, because it is not consistent.

The car goes in for service later today, because I didn't want to mess around with this. But it's troubling and I would, as I said, appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old 03-11-11, 09:57 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles are on the new tires? did you go from a summer hi-performance tire to something less aggressive (touring, etc)?

could be new tire squirm or just a softer widewalls of the new tires causing some dead on-center feel.

if you had uneven tread wear on the last set of tires, that could be a sign for an alignment
Old 03-11-11, 10:43 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the steering rack "recall" been performed on your car? I say "recall" for it was really a "service campaign" to take care of a problem with the electric steering system.
Old 03-11-11, 11:28 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

No, as Johnson Lexus is backed up on that until May. The service guy did mention that though.

M
Originally Posted by MadDawg350
Has the steering rack "recall" been performed on your car? I say "recall" for it was really a "service campaign" to take care of a problem with the electric steering system.
Old 03-11-11, 11:32 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

I don't know exactly. I have only had the car a month. I suspect it might need an alignment.

Originally Posted by caveman
how many miles are on the new tires? did you go from a summer hi-performance tire to something less aggressive (touring, etc)?

could be new tire squirm or just a softer widewalls of the new tires causing some dead on-center feel.

if you had uneven tread wear on the last set of tires, that could be a sign for an alignment
Old 03-12-11, 06:15 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Johnson Lexus reports that one side of the front is riding about an inch higher than the other. I have to take the car in next week and leave it with them.

I asked what could cause this and the guy speculated, "an impact" - and the service records indicate that the control arm had been previously replaced.

Thus, I suspect I've been sold a car that hit something. I guess I will find out whether this is a few hundred dollar item or whether I will need to consult an attorney.
Old 03-12-11, 10:19 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NCGS350
UPDATE: Johnson Lexus reports that one side of the front is riding about an inch higher than the other. I have to take the car in next week and leave it with them.

I asked what could cause this and the guy speculated, "an impact" - and the service records indicate that the control arm had been previously replaced.

Thus, I suspect I've been sold a car that hit something. I guess I will find out whether this is a few hundred dollar item or whether I will need to consult an attorney.
Unfortunately when you buy a used car, it's impossible to prove that the person who sold it to you would have had prior knowledge of an accident and lied about the car's status, especially given a clean report, unless they were the only owner.

It's very much a buyer beware case. And by the way it's my understanding that it is perfectly natural that the passenger side of the car is slightly higher than the drivers side when nobody is sitting in it.
Old 03-13-11, 01:12 PM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Unfortunately when you buy a used car, it's impossible to prove that the person who sold it to you would have had prior knowledge of an accident and lied about the car's status, especially given a clean report, unless they were the only owner.

It's very much a buyer beware case. And by the way it's my understanding that it is perfectly natural that the passenger side of the car is slightly higher than the drivers side when nobody is sitting in it.
This was a dealer, not a private party. My strong suspicion is that the dealer knew about it when the car was traded in. It would be a relatively simple process to subpoena the sales records as well as the one previous owner, who is local.

Simply put, if they knew about the damage and failed to reveal it to me when I asked about prior wrecks and damage, it's an unfair trade practice.

Hopefully this is a matter of a couple of new shocks, given the car has a clean Carfax.
Old 03-14-11, 04:43 PM
mcyc
Rookie

If you didn't do the steering rack recall it could be that. I had a similar problem until the recall was performed. It felt like the the steering wheel was stuck at center.
Old 03-15-11, 10:54 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcyc
If you didn't do the steering rack recall it could be that. I had a similar problem until the recall was performed. It felt like the the steering wheel was stuck at center.
That is EXACTLY what it feels like.
Old 06-02-11, 07:24 AM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

Wow...I am so glad to hear that someone else has the same problem. I have had this for about 2 years now and the dealer tells me that they cannot reproduce the problem.

It is downright dangerous and scary when you need to make a slight correction and have to put some muscle into it to make the correction.

I never really new how to explain the problem which you have done accurately above.

On another note i bought mine new and it has never been in a collision so I know for sure it is not from an accident.

Let's see what they say but hopefully they take it seriously as I could see something like this causing accidents.
Old 06-02-11, 08:33 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

a Carfax report isn't worth the paper its printed on. They rarely have accurate information and the buyback program is a complete joke.
Old 06-02-11, 09:19 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

NC, if this car has been involved in an accident it's possible (albeit unlikely) that the dealer didn't know about it. I think you need to have a discussion with the dealership before you resort to engaging an attorney. This sort of thing has a funny way of working out once you get to the right level at the dealership and we have too many lawsuits as it is. I feel your frustration but let the management of the dealership try to make it right.
Old 06-03-11, 08:01 PM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update. I took my car in yesterday for the steering issue stated above and they were able to reproduce the problem and will be replacing the steering rack under my extended warranty.

I am glad to see it is covered as it looks like a new rack online is around $1500 just for the part.
Old 06-04-11, 10:08 AM
NCGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
NC, if this car has been involved in an accident it's possible (albeit unlikely) that the dealer didn't know about it. I think you need to have a discussion with the dealership before you resort to engaging an attorney. This sort of thing has a funny way of working out once you get to the right level at the dealership and we have too many lawsuits as it is. I feel your frustration but let the management of the dealership try to make it right.
Oh, they made it right. I forgot to post on that point.

It turned out the car had suffered serious damage from a pothole incident that had not been properly fixed. I got a DMV report showing the insurance claim. The repairs involved replacing pretty much everything at the front end on the relevant side. About $3500 I think. The car is now fine.

Quick Reply: "Dead" Steering Zone At Higher Speeds